The Student Room Group

Minneapolis City Council votes to abolish police force!

https://time.com/5860172/minneapolis-city-council-eliminate-police-george-floyd/
Do you think its a good idea? Better than a racist police force?
To be replaced "with a Department of Community Safety and Violence Prevention, “which will have responsibility for public safety services prioritizing a holistic, public health-oriented approach.”

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Pray tell whom they will hire for this "community health and violence prevention" force? Even money says most of the "racist" police force.

As to the err 'hollistic' approach, Lol.
Cannot wait for crime to shoot up. Then these left wing nut jobs will be left with nothing but their own tears to wipe it up. Wait until they find out that their 'holistic' approach isn't going to work with real criminals!

What a time to be alive.
Lets see how they tackle drug gangs, murders and armed robbers.
Original post by 999tigger

To say nothing of rapes.

No wonder new applications for gun licences and orders for ammo are through the roof.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger

A group sing along perhaps? I hear its all the rage along with wellness :h:
They've unanimously voted in favour of the proposal to dismantle their police force. Doesn't mean they've dismantled it... right?
Original post by Napp
A group sing along perhaps? I hear its all the rage along with wellness :h:

Maybe we’ll all have a dance around the May pole!? Or sing Kumbaya around a fire?!
Reply 8
Original post by Napp
Pray tell whom they will hire for this "community health and violence prevention" force? Even money says most of the "racist" police force.

As to the err 'hollistic' approach, Lol.

Well let's see. Clearly, if one has incidents like the George Floyd one involving at least 3 police officers, there needs to some sort of change because public confidence in the police service has declined somewhat.
Reply 9
Original post by Occitanie
They've unanimously voted in favour of the proposal to dismantle their police force. Doesn't mean they've dismantled it... right?

Correct.
Reply 10
Original post by imlikeahermit
Cannot wait for crime to shoot up. Then these left wing nut jobs will be left with nothing but their own tears to wipe it up. Wait until they find out that their 'holistic' approach isn't going to work with real criminals!

What a time to be alive.

I think you ought to read the link that i posted at the start of this thread. You will then understand the situation better. The police service needs reform.
Breaking up a police force, maybe merging with another(s) yes, but there should still be a police force.
Reply 12
Original post by barnetlad
Breaking up a police force, maybe merging with another(s) yes, but there should still be a police force.

Yes, true. Some form of sharing best diversity community practice and getting rid of the disgraceful rogue cops faster should help
Reply 13
Original post by imlikeahermit
Maybe we’ll all have a dance around the May pole!? Or sing Kumbaya around a fire?!

They have been singing Kumbaya for tooo many years I suspect. Time for action to dismantle the type of policing that goes on in America. I think British policing is a better but not perfect model.
Easy to vote for abolishment, much harder to actually implement a practical solution.

I won't pass judgement till I see what actually come from it.
Original post by mgi
They have been singing Kumbaya for tooo many years I suspect. Time for action to dismantle the type of policing that goes on in America. I think British policing is a better but not perfect model.

In general I agree the legacy of Sir Robert Peel should be celebrated. The police force I would split up and either merge or move with other forces is South Yorkshire, which seems to have a record of failure going back before Hillsborough. I also wonder if some parts of London should have a police service from a neighbouring county instead.
Reply 16
Original post by Just my opinion
To say nothing of rapes.

No wonder new applications for gun licences and orders for ammo are through the roof.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.commondreams.org/views/2018/02/15/11004-gun-murders-us-vs-26-equiv-130-england-annually%3Famp&ved=2ahUKEwjXr9rfl6LqAhULUBUIHc-gARUQFjAJegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw333tQwhmTMbn-Q-aTZuG5w
And that's the American delusion that costs so many more lives: more guns is going to be better? (11000 gun related crimes compared to 130 in England) ridiculous. . And there is some evidence that most Americans dont actually want guns.
Also. how about changing the American confrontational military style policing to a more community sensitive one?
Original post by mgi
I think you ought to read the link that i posted at the start of this thread. You will then understand the situation better. The police service needs reform.

I’m not sure that you can call abolition and reform the same thing
In a way it's a bold step, they are trying to move from militarised policing to community policing.

The underlying problems in the US - acute poverty in many areas, rampant destitution, huge numbers of guns on the streets and endemic social violence - demand to be tackled but the policing is only one part of that and as people are saying, headlong removal of policing is likely to cause crime to rise.

Some cities in the US have been experimenting with 'getting guns off the streets' policies, which have had a good effect - in Oakland, CA, crime has dropped sharply with a combination of gun amnesties and removals, de-militarising police and increased spending on the poor neighbourhoods. Unfortunately, many cities across America are controlled by what now amounts to extremist libertarian Right wingers who will never commit the funds needed to do this but are willing to spend billions on more and more weaponry.

Minneapolis is a big opportunity to make a fresh start as it is a large metro area and therefore harder to ignore than smaller cities like Oakland.
Reply 19
Original post by Underscore__
I’m not sure that you can call abolition and reform the same thing

We can actually.That all depends on what exactly you mean. They could abolish the official police force and replace it with a brand new ,one over time, this will change from a military style confrontational approach to a more conciliatory community service style one- a bit like the UK police force.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending