Most overrated video games

Watch
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
2D mario and sonic games.

Always preferred 3D games - 2D was born from technical limitations and I don't understand the obsession with them. You just can't have the same amount of depth or exploration.

I would pick Sonic Unleashed (a massively underrated game imo) over any of the original Genesis Sonics any day.
Beta123456
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RichPiana)
Fifa, COD, Fortnite, Minecraft, GTA5 to a certain extent (it was a good game but way too overhyped).
GTA 5 was not overhyped , it exceeded expectations it was a great game however updates have changed GTA 5 for the worse. Moreover, the mutiplayer fan base is still active for a 5 year game this is not normal in the gaming industry
RichPiana
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Beta123456)
GTA 5 was not overhyped , it exceeded expectations it was a great game however updates have changed GTA 5 for the worse. Moreover, the mutiplayer fan base is still active for a 5 year game this is not normal in the gaming industry
Each to their own, but I believe it was overhyped since people were lead to believe that it would be game of the decade but it didn’t even come close. The storyline wasn’t as good as I was expecting and some of the missions just seemed recycled.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
Oh sorry, my bad! I did not read the name of the game precisely and thought about MineSWEEPER, that is completely different.
:facepalm: Kallisto, you silly billy.

(Original post by YaliaV)
Minecraft is a glitchy mess with awful graphics and I don’t understand why it became so popular.
I really don't have the patience for it (or other games like it). That said, I've heard great things about Dragon Quest Builders 2. I'd be tempted to try that out but I'd definitely not pay full (or half) price for it.
JDINCINERATOR
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't believe any franchise is overrated-they've all earned their success regardless of whether we like them or not.
Arthur_Morgan
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Beta123456)
Not MDW it delivered many expection. You might have not installed season 5 yet
I haven't even got the game mate
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by stillcrying)
FIFA. People buy a new one every year - isn't that just a waste of money?
the games are some of the fastest depreciating games in gaming industry too.

you can buy it new for £49.99 near release

and 2 yrs later you'll be lucky to be able to sell it for a fiver.
As soon as a new one comes out, the value of existing FIFA games depreciates SIGNIFICANTLY
stillcrying
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ANM775)
the games are some of the fastest depreciating games in gaming industry too.

you can buy it new for £49.99 near release

and 2 yrs later you'll be lucky to be able to sell it for a fiver.
As soon as a new one comes out, the value of existing FIFA games depreciates SIGNIFICANTLY
I don't sell many of my games because most of mine are bought online in the Microsoft store but I also still play them years later whereas with FIFA, no one plays the previous games when a new one is released. It's such a waste and I'm surprised they're still being bought year in year out.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by YaliaV)
Haha 🤣
A bit embarrassing I know, but I think that Minecraft can be counted to overrated games too. It is a game for gamers with a lot of creativity who have the passion and to live it out. For the others, it is overrestimated.
username5177602
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Fortnite - it really isn't that good.
username5301604
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Minecraft and COD.

I actually rated Fortnite :lol: Had a good laff with my friends messing around. Though I do feel like it is quite easy to get bored of. Only played during chapter 1 season 4, I think?
Last edited by username5301604; 1 month ago
Legomenon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Skyrim sounded really overrated. Admittedly I never got it, but from gameplay it does not like the 'best game of all time' as everyone seemed to be saying around that time.

(Original post by _gcx)

Always preferred 3D games - 2D was born from technical limitations and I don't understand the obsession with them. You just can't have the same amount of depth or exploration.

I would pick Sonic Unleashed (a massively underrated game imo) over any of the original Genesis Sonics any day.
I think New Super Mario Bros was very good for its time but yeah most 2D games are really restrictive. Sonic Unleashed was absolute quality, just watching someone play through it was very enjoyable in itself.
Legomenon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bluewolf21)
Fortnite - it really isn't that good.
God how did I forget about Fortnite...
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Legomenon)
Skyrim sounded really overrated. Admittedly I never got it, but from gameplay it does not like the 'best game of all time' as everyone seemed to be saying around that time.

I think New Super Mario Bros was very good for its time but yeah most 2D games are really restrictive. Sonic Unleashed was absolute quality, just watching someone play through it was very enjoyable in itself.
Speaking technically, it's pretty unpolished (the movement system has a major exploit called M-speed/D-speed caused by very slight stick movements: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HldELG1iVEw) but I still stand by the fact it's an extremely fun game!
Legomenon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _gcx)
Speaking technically, it's pretty unpolished (the movement system has a major exploit called M-speed/D-speed caused by very slight stick movements: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HldELG1iVEw) but I still stand by the fact it's an extremely fun game!
Lol. That takes 'moonjumping' in Super Mario 64 to a whole nother level.
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by stillcrying)
FIFA. People buy a new one every year - isn't that just a waste of money?
Hope that is a rhetorical question, of course it is! it does not matter what a year you are buying: game hardly get better in gameplay.
anonstudent5
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Read Dead Redemption 2 is overrated in my opinion. Good acting and story, very bland gameplay, irritating "realism" mechanics, horribly linear mission structure... In an open world game...
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _gcx)

Objection!

I don't care the technical limitations as long as simple games like these still make fun to play. Okay it might be that my nostalgia is speaking to me, but the simplicity of these games were the best. Look at the Unleashed game you mentioned: many features and ideas were packed in this game without to harmonise with each other. Plus the sonic gameplay is alienated in this game, it has nothing to do with Sonic anylonger, the roots are destroyed.

A good looking game with awesome graphics are useless, if the gameplay and fun are limited.
Chantellekd
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Fortnite
Vanessa Chuah
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
minecraft and rdr2
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (75)
21.37%
No (276)
78.63%

Watched Threads