The Student Room Group

Student bank account declined

Hey guys,

I've applied for 2 student bank accounts, one with santander and one with nationwide, and both have declined me. I've checked my credit score and it's excellent so it's not that and I'm not sure what to do. :frown: If I keep applying I'll make it more unlikely to get one :frown: It doesn't even let me get to entering my UCAS number and stuff. Just says sorry we've declined you. I went into a nationwide branch and they just told me once it's declined it's declined theres nothing they can do, so I'm at a loss.

Can anyone help me?
Thanks
Original post by SquishyFlygon
Hey guys,

I've applied for 2 student bank accounts, one with santander and one with nationwide, and both have declined me. I've checked my credit score and it's excellent so it's not that and I'm not sure what to do. :frown: If I keep applying I'll make it more unlikely to get one :frown: It doesn't even let me get to entering my UCAS number and stuff. Just says sorry we've declined you. I went into a nationwide branch and they just told me once it's declined it's declined theres nothing they can do, so I'm at a loss.

Can anyone help me?
Thanks

Have you got unconditionally accepted on UCAS yet.

Normally you have to wait till after results day before opening a student bank account.
Original post by mnot
Have you got unconditionally accepted on UCAS yet.

Normally you have to wait till after results day before opening a student bank account.

I'm a mature student so I've got an unconditional
I'm a mature student so I've got an unconditional

In which case, I dont know, perhaps check its because of the point in the UCAS cycle you could theoretically still go through adjustment.

Id email the banks directly and ask why you got rejected
Reply 4
Hey guys,

Don't just check your credit score -- it's a guide but it's not the full story. Banks have access to more information than just a single "score".

Two things to do:

(1) Request a "statutory credit report" from the three main credit reference agencies: Experian, Equifax and TransUnion. There's no charge for this. Go through them all carefully and make sure the information is accurate. (For example, a former mortgage lender had somehow registered an incorrect date of birth for me -- and that can look suspicious.) If there are any inaccuracies, go back to the company that reported the incorrect information and ask for it to be corrected. Make sure that there's nothing unexpected reported, for example an account you don't know about.

https://www.equifax.co.uk/Products/credit/statutory-report.html
https://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/statutory-report.html
https://www.transunionstatreport.co.uk/

(2) Submit a data subject access request to Cifas, to make sure no one has registered a Cifas marker against you. This won't show up on credit reports, which is why you need to request it separately. https://www.cifas.org.uk/contact-us/subject-access-request
Original post by martin7
Don't just check your credit score -- it's a guide but it's not the full story. Banks have access to more information than just a single "score".

Two things to do:

(1) Request a "statutory credit report" from the three main credit reference agencies: Experian, Equifax and TransUnion. There's no charge for this. Go through them all carefully and make sure the information is accurate. (For example, a former mortgage lender had somehow registered an incorrect date of birth for me -- and that can look suspicious.) If there are any inaccuracies, go back to the company that reported the incorrect information and ask for it to be corrected. Make sure that there's nothing unexpected reported, for example an account you don't know about.

https://www.equifax.co.uk/Products/credit/statutory-report.html
https://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/statutory-report.html
https://www.transunionstatreport.co.uk/

(2) Submit a data subject access request to Cifas, to make sure no one has registered a Cifas marker against you. This won't show up on credit reports, which is why you need to request it separately. https://www.cifas.org.uk/contact-us/subject-access-request

I've done most of this now, everything looks right, I looked at getting a credit card at one point, but never applied and it has that on searches but other then that I'm pretty clean, and everything sounds right... just waiting on the cifas access request thing now

thanks for your help
I've done most of this now, everything looks right, I looked at getting a credit card at one point, but never applied and it has that on searches but other then that I'm pretty clean, and everything sounds right... just waiting on the cifas access request thing now

thanks for your help

If all else fails you could just get a monzo account
Hey guys,

Can anyone help me?
Thanks

My son had the same thing and there's nothing wrong with his credit rating either.

He had a normal bank account anyway so just uses that for uni stuff. If you don't already have a bank account, it's easier to get accepted for a normal bank account than for a student one so that's an option if you continue to struggle.

Edited to say he asked Santander why he got declined and they said it was not because he had a bad credit rating but more because he didn't have enough of one. They suggested he get a credit card and then try again in a few months of paying off his credit card on time each month. But he didn't want to do that and so just used his normal bank account instead
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Fermion.
If all else fails you could just get a monzo account

Original post by harrysbar
My son had the same thing and there's nothing wrong with his credit rating either.

He had a normal bank account anyway so just uses that for uni stuff. If you don't already have a bank account, it's easier to get accepted for a normal bank account than for a student one so that's an option if you continue to struggle.

Edited to say he asked Santander why he got declined and they said it was not because he had a bad credit rating but more because he didn't have enough of one. They suggested he get a credit card and then try again in a few months of paying off his credit card on time each month. But he didn't want to do that and so just used his normal bank account instead

I already have a normal bank account and a monzo account, I'm interested in the student back account cause of the 0% interest overdraft since I have no family to help me if I have a sudden high cost thing happen.
I already have a normal bank account and a monzo account, I'm interested in the student back account cause of the 0% interest overdraft since I have no family to help me if I have a sudden high cost thing happen.

Oh I see....well as I said before the woman at Santander told my son it would actually help his credit rating to get a credit card (as long as he paid the outstanding amount off every month) so maybe do that and then reapply in 3 months? Sorry I don't know what else to suggest as it is a mystery to me why some people get declined and not others in similar situations
Original post by harrysbar
Oh I see....well as I said before the woman at Santander told my son it would actually help his credit rating to get a credit card (as long as he paid the outstanding amount off every month) so maybe do that and then reapply in 3 months? Sorry I don't know what else to suggest as it is a mystery to me why some people get declined and not others in similar situations

Yeah it's difficult, well my credit rating is 968 out of 999 so I don't really need to up my credit rating :frown: Thanks for the help though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending