The Student Room Group

Can't have weight loss surgery

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
Wdym its not as easy as that? It is. The human body is not exempt from the laws of thermodynamics.

Any time someone makes a comment like this what they are really saying is 'I literally think humans can be reduced to thermodynamics, I don't understand anything that happens in the world at all'.
Original post by nexttime
Any time someone makes a comment like this what they are really saying is 'I literally think humans can be reduced to thermodynamics, I don't understand anything that happens in the world at all'.

Care to elaborate?
Care to elaborate?

Not really? You think dieting is about thermodynamics, so clearly believe that people just choose to be overweight, showing you know nothing about this topic at all.
Not really? You think dieting is about thermodynamics, so clearly believe that no one should every be overweight ever, showing you know nothing about this topic at all.

What? No thats not what I mean at all. What I meant to say is that to gain weight, you have to eat more kcals than you burn and to lose weight, you have to burn more kcals than you eat. Do you disagree with that?
What? No thats not what I mean at all. What I meant to say is that to gain weight, you have to eat more kcals than you burn and to lose weight, you have to burn more kcals than you eat. Do you disagree with that?

Of course not but it adds nothing to the topic at all, thinking it does just demonstrates ignorance.
It’s not just a diet, it’s a whole lifestyle change that’s needed, that’s tough. Good luck to you OP :smile:
Of course not but it adds nothing to the topic at all, thinking it does just demonstrates ignorance.

Surely, you are aware of the risks of executing weight loss surgery and the lack of risks when in a caloric deficit. If OP wants to lose weight risk free then they should go into a ~500kcal deficit.
Problem is: diets don't work. Yes there are exceptions, but the vast majority of the time, you tell a patient to lose weight, and they either don't, or they do for like 6 months then put it all back on. Doesn't matter if its just eating less, or wt loss groups, or cutting carbs, or some other fad diet - doesn't work. Then they go to on get diabetes, heart disease, need expensive medical treatment, and sign on for disability benefit. Bariatric surgery is safe, its effective, and compared to the medical treatments they'd need otherwise: cheap. Maybe even cost-saving. And life saving? Certainly.

I do believe the current guidelines do still say that you need to try NHS dieting services first though - to pick up those rare cases where people not only lose weight, but are still thin years later.

There's also plenty of cases of patients attempting to cheat their surgery by liquidising food, or going for 'melting' foods like ice-cream. I appreciate that bariatric surgery is really the only intervention which consistently shows a 'result', but it's a bit 'biomedical', rather than 'biopsychosocial' for me. Surgery does nothing to change the patients mindset about food and eating, or improve a (usually) dysfunctional relationship with food unless it's part of a multidisciplinary approach.
Original post by Timothy Dalton
Hi all, I am a little depressed. I have been told by my GP that I don't qualify for the NHS weight loss surgery, as my BMI is under 40. However, I weigh 17 stone and feel as though the surgery would help me immensely. The GP said I could only have it done if I paid for it myself.

Any advice?

I went from 17 stones to 12st just by halving my portions and walking more often. Now I’m having to use the gym more often though because weight is harder to lose when you’re skinnier
Problem is: diets don't work. Yes there are exceptions, but the vast majority of the time, you tell a patient to lose weight, and they either don't, or they do for like 6 months then put it all back on. Doesn't matter if its just eating less, or wt loss groups, or cutting carbs, or some other fad diet - doesn't work. Then they go to on get diabetes, heart disease, need expensive medical treatment, and sign on for disability benefit. Bariatric surgery is safe, its effective, and compared to the medical treatments they'd need otherwise: cheap. Maybe even cost-saving. And life saving? Certainly.

I do believe the current guidelines do still say that you need to try NHS dieting services first though - to pick up those rare cases where people not only lose weight, but are still thin years later.

Diets don’t work, but adopting a healthier and sustainable diet (in the true sense of the word) can work. I know a man who went from 15 stone to 12 stone just by cutting out a few things and doing more exercise. Walking can be very effective and you don’t have to make that many sacrifices. I don’t think potentially dangerous surgery should ever be the first line of action.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Timothy Dalton
Hi all, I am a little depressed. I have been told by my GP that I don't qualify for the NHS weight loss surgery, as my BMI is under 40. However, I weigh 17 stone and feel as though the surgery would help me immensely. The GP said I could only have it done if I paid for it myself.

Any advice?

Well for one, your not that obese....your likely totally out of shape though.

As someone who has at one point weighed 150kg and now weighs 88kg with significant muscle mass.... Your case is weak.

I'll explain why... Your not yet at a range of weight where you can't excercise to get in shape.

Secondly and most importantly, why would the doctor have confidence in your not overeating when clearly this is about your lifestyle. It's about the foods your consuming that are causing you to be overweight.

You can easily lose 20 kg and be pretty healthy. But if you can't do that, then likely you will overeat again... And probably break the band placed around your stomach... Causing more complications then your current level of obesity.
Original post by Fermion.
I went from 17 stones to 12st just by halving my portions and walking more often. Now I’m having to use the gym more often though because weight is harder to lose when you’re skinnier

Use the gym more often that's rich, coming from Ms. PUB'S are more critical than gym. Though funnily enough pubs and bars have had to be shutdown in dramatic scenes to stop the spread in the US and will likely also have a short shelf life with the UKs drinking culture discipline.
(edited 3 years ago)
Surely, you are aware of the risks of executing weight loss surgery and the lack of risks when in a caloric deficit. If OP wants to lose weight risk free then they should go into a ~500kcal deficit.

Very very unlikely to be successful. Like <5%.

Original post by Reality Check
There's also plenty of cases of patients attempting to cheat their surgery by liquidising food, or going for 'melting' foods like ice-cream. I appreciate that bariatric surgery is really the only intervention which consistently shows a 'result', but it's a bit 'biomedical', rather than 'biopsychosocial' for me. Surgery does nothing to change the patients mindset about food and eating, or improve a (usually) dysfunctional relationship with food unless it's part of a multidisciplinary approach.

Where something is life-threatening, I'd rather go for results.

Bariatric surgery is very good at curing diabetes etc too, not just weight loss.

Original post by YaliaV
Diets don’t work, but adopting a healthier and sustainable diet (in the true sense of the word) can work. I know a man who went from 15 stone to 12 stone just by cutting out a few things and doing more exercise. Walking can be very effective and you don’t have to make that many sacrifices. I don’t think potentially dangerous surgery should ever be the first line of action.

Also doesn't work. They relapse, they have heart attacks, you and I pay their rehab bills and disability benefit.

At least, the way the population adopts these techniques anyway. Its one thing to tell people what they should be doing, its completely another to actually successfully and sustainably change their behaviour.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Use the gym more often that rich, coming from Ms. PUB'S are more critical than gym. Though funnily enough pubs and bars have had to be shutdown in dramatic scenes to stop the spread in the US and will likely also have a short self life with the UKs drinking culture discipline.

Please leave me alone.
Use the gym more often that rich, coming from Ms. PUB'S are more critical than gym. Though funnily enough pubs and bars have had to be shutdown in dramatic scenes to stop the spread in the US and will likely also have a short self life with the UKs drinking culture discipline.

**** off, every thread I go you’re derailing it with your gym agenda. You’re so pathetic. How about you leave her alone and try help the OP instead?
Very very unlikely to be successful. Like <5%.

Bariatric surgery is very good at curing diabetes etc too, not just weight loss.

Also doesn't work. They relapse, they have heart attacks, you and I pay their rehab bills and disability benefit.

At least, the way the population adopts these techniques anyway. Its one thing to tell people what they should be doing, its completely another to actually successfully and sustainably change their behaviour.

That’s untrue. My brothers used to be obese and lost weight simply from being in calorie deficit and just adapting a better lifestyle. I did the same. :smile:
BS fake fitness people like you are bare annoying. Don't claim the journey or the cause if your not fully with it. I'll gladly leave you alone now, said my peace.

My weight loss isn’t ******** lol. Nor am I a fake gym person. You can also shove your fake apology regarding my father up your arse because we both know you didn’t mean it :smile:

I can elaborate on it from a standpoint of someone who has been very overweight at one point.
The majority of people know that to lose weight they need to burn more calories than consumed, but you are looking at it from a paper view.
As in, everything works excellent when written on paper but it's putting it into practice that is hard for some people, and I don't mean hard as in "Im sad because I want that extra doughnut so I can't lose weight and its too hard". I mean hard as in, some use food the same way as others use alcohol or smoking to make themselves feel better. It could be seen like an addiction.
Im not saying people are addicted to the food, but they can be addicted to the emotional high they get from eating large amounts of food or certain foods, like junk food. They also might use binge eating as a way to fill a void inside themselves or to block out any emotions they can't face or to cope with depressive feelings.
For some, they might feel as if it is their only comfort in life.

Not everyone is like this, but for the ones who are, it can be a very hard thing to overhaul your whole diet to lose weight because you are also fighting off your safety net or emotional crutch and it can make you feel empty inside and very raw.

To the OP, if any of what I wrote relates to you then surgery will not hemp you because you will have not dealt with the issues at hand, and will continue to struggle with eating better because surgery is not a magical fix. You can still regain weight and I have read plenty stories of that happening or even people bursting their stitches from continuing to eat the same way as before.
There are a lot of risks also and long term you may need vitamins daily as your body can sometimes not absorb nutrients the same way as before.
Surgery is a very big decision and at the weight you are there is no reason why you cannot lose weight through moderate eating, healthier choices, exercise and help to deal with any issues you have surrounding food.
Imo, surgery can be necessary for some, but only those whose weight is at extremes that they simply will die without it.

Why is it unlikely to be successful? The deficit is extremely small, literally 2 KitKat bars, such a small deficit is unlikely to cause a binge and will bring slow, consistent results.

I agree, but the case of the OP, and many others, is 'uncomplicated' obesity: obviously obesity which is going to lead down a path, but nevertheless 'uncomplicated'. There are other interventions which work: for instance, Addenbrookes has a highly successful Intensive Weight Management Programme. The problem is it (a) requires motivated, compliant patients, and those who aren't are 'screened out' of it anyway, and (b) it's highly resource-heavy in terms of the number of MDT members involved. It's 'easier' to do bariatric surgery, but not necessarily the best outcome for the patient overall - in terms of the effects on their lives. It might 'cure' their obesity, but it also means they'll never be able to eat a normal meal again.

Quick Reply

Latest