The Student Room Group

Tooth extraction

I have an impacted wisdom tooth growing at a mesial angle and my dentist provided me with 2 options either removing the wisdom tooth but he mentioned complications during surgey , then offered removing the 2nd molar adjacent to the wisdom tooth since it needs a filling , thus providing space for the wisdom tooth to take its place

I’m currently on antiobiotics to clear the infection but I’m not sure the 2nd molar will take the place of the 3rd molar , just wanted a second opinion for anyone who’s experienced this or has heard of this option before.

Thanks in advance I’m so stressed and can’t get a sooner appointment due to the corona virus situation
I haven't been in your situation but I did need to have one of my front teeth extracted after an accident. I found a dentist who I really trusted and he gave me options, explained the risks, and gave me the likelihood of an ideal outcome for each option. It was really useful and he took it really slowly. Make sure you trust your dentist, no question is stupid and you can ask as many as you like and repeatedly ask them for your own piece of mind. Every surgery has the potential to have a complication, removing any tooth could lead to dry gum or whatever its called, weigh up the complications in your mind. He has to notify you of all the possible complications before surgery but your dentist will be trained and well practiced to handle it, he will have a nurse with him as well and probably several more dentists in the building if a problem arises he can consult them. The likelihood of one of those really scary complications is quite low. You will be alright, its only teeth, worst that happens is you eat soup for a week! They aren't your front teeth so it hopefully won't affect how you look! Don't be worried, you'll be alright! Ring the dentist with any questions or email them whenever they pop into your mind, they won't be cross or annoyed.
Hi, I had my 1st upper left molar extracted on Friday. The tooth never formed fully so it had to be all filled out a few years ago and got infected earlier this year and they discouraged me from root canal as the tooth had an extra root and funny anatomy (was overall a weird tooth) and the chances of root canal being successful was low. I discussed with my dentist my options and decided on extraction, I was also told my wisdom tooth when it pushed down could help to fill in the gap my pushing my other tooth forward.

This was before lockdown however and I had to wait for treatment and my wisdom tooth pushed down over the 2/3 month wait so I’m not sure if the gap will ever close.

The tooth extraction I was told was one of the worst extractions the dentist had seen as the roots kept breaking up and were long and very curved and he had to dig around in my gum to get it all out, I was sat in the chair for around 50 mins and although it was uncomfortable and scary, I got through it! After, he stitched me back up, warned me of swelling and a potential black eye and sent me home, I’ve been living off ice cream and pain killers all weekend but overall I’m feeling okay. The gap in my teeth is not noticeable as it’s at the back so I wouldn’t be concerned about that if I was you and it’s better than having an infection that could spread and cause some serious complications in the future. If you’re really worried you can always get a denture or bridge, just talk to your dentist about possible ways to fill the gap if you decide on removing the molar and the gap never fills. If you choose to remove the wisdom tooth find a dentist you trust and make sure you follow all the after care instructions and I’m sure you’ll be okay, the dentists have to tell you of all the complications to cover themselves even if the chances of them happening are extremely low. If complications do arise I’m sure you’ll get through them okay, you’ll have a team of professionals supporting you through it all.
Not sure if this is helpful at all but whatever you decide I hope everything goes smoothly and you have a fast recovery 😊
Original post by Roasted Potato
I haven't been in your situation but I did need to have one of my front teeth extracted after an accident. I found a dentist who I really trusted and he gave me options, explained the risks, and gave me the likelihood of an ideal outcome for each option. It was really useful and he took it really slowly. Make sure you trust your dentist, no question is stupid and you can ask as many as you like and repeatedly ask them for your own piece of mind. Every surgery has the potential to have a complication, removing any tooth could lead to dry gum or whatever its called, weigh up the complications in your mind. He has to notify you of all the possible complications before surgery but your dentist will be trained and well practiced to handle it, he will have a nurse with him as well and probably several more dentists in the building if a problem arises he can consult them. The likelihood of one of those really scary complications is quite low. You will be alright, its only teeth, worst that happens is you eat soup for a week! They aren't your front teeth so it hopefully won't affect how you look! Don't be worried, you'll be alright! Ring the dentist with any questions or email them whenever they pop into your mind, they won't be cross or annoyed.

t

Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I had my 1st upper left molar extracted on Friday. The tooth never formed fully so it had to be all filled out a few years ago and got infected earlier this year and they discouraged me from root canal as the tooth had an extra root and funny anatomy (was overall a weird tooth) and the chances of root canal being successful was low. I discussed with my dentist my options and decided on extraction, I was also told my wisdom tooth when it pushed down could help to fill in the gap my pushing my other tooth forward.

This was before lockdown however and I had to wait for treatment and my wisdom tooth pushed down over the 2/3 month wait so I’m not sure if the gap will ever close.

The tooth extraction I was told was one of the worst extractions the dentist had seen as the roots kept breaking up and were long and very curved and he had to dig around in my gum to get it all out, I was sat in the chair for around 50 mins and although it was uncomfortable and scary, I got through it! After, he stitched me back up, warned me of swelling and a potential black eye and sent me home, I’ve been living off ice cream and pain killers all weekend but overall I’m feeling okay. The gap in my teeth is not noticeable as it’s at the back so I wouldn’t be concerned about that if I was you and it’s better than having an infection that could spread and cause some serious complications in the future. If you’re really worried you can always get a denture or bridge, just talk to your dentist about possible ways to fill the gap if you decide on removing the molar and the gap never fills. If you choose to remove the wisdom tooth find a dentist you trust and make sure you follow all the after care instructions and I’m sure you’ll be okay, the dentists have to tell you of all the complications to cover themselves even if the chances of them happening are extremely low. If complications do arise I’m sure you’ll get through them okay, you’ll have a team of professionals supporting you through it all.
Not sure if this is helpful at all but whatever you decide I hope everything goes smoothly and you have a fast recovery 😊

thanks so much jt was helpful , but just to ask you know how you mentioned your molar tooth didn’t come out fully was that the wisdom tooth and was is infected that’s why it you had it removed ?
Original post by maymuna manti
thanks so much jt was helpful , but just to ask you know how you mentioned your molar tooth didn’t come out fully was that the wisdom tooth and was is infected that’s why it you had it removed ?

Hi, it was my first molar on the upper left, so the molar closest to the front, next to the premolars so no not my wisdom tooth 😊
Hi, it was my first molar on the upper left, so the molar closest to the front, next to the premolars so no not my wisdom tooth 😊

The tooth had to be filled out years ago when it pushed through as it hadn’t formed correctly (load of the actual tooth was missing) so I was in a lot of pain with it, it then became infected earlier this year and an abscess formed so I had to have it removed 😢
The tooth had to be filled out years ago when it pushed through as it hadn’t formed correctly (load of the actual tooth was missing) so I was in a lot of pain with it, it then became infected earlier this year and an abscess formed so I had to have it removed 😢

Ahh that’s unfortunate but It’s always better once the tooth is extracted and the pain is gone that’s why I might decide to remove the damaged tooth and hope the wisdom tooth grows in its place as the dentist recommended

I think removal of the bottom set of teeth are worse tbh

Quick Reply

Latest