ddsizebra
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
There's a relative who is currently doing a degree apprenticeship, he's done 2 years (of the 5 years) already but there were major hiccups. He went through many mood swings (he took some time off but never received treatment due to work distance). It was only this year he tried to commit suicide and was hospitalised. Couple weeks later he was hospitalised from another attempt (overdose). I'm worried that if he returns to his job and continue to live alone he may try it again. I want him to continue his degree but living with his family.

Is there a way to terminate from his apprenticeship? He has asked his company if they could relocate him closer but it wasn't possible.
Roasted Potato
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Could some of the family move to him if he can't move to you? If his job is unwilling to move him could you politely suggest some jobs closer (you do the research and find some and do the leg work for that so he doesn't have to worry about it). Have you had a look at the mental health act? Suggest therapy or counselling whilst he is working? Call him regularly to check on things! I really don't know! Its such a hard situation, I moved away from home for uni and left a friend behind who repeatedly tried to kill herself and its hard, you have to trust if you help them build a support network it will catch the person when you can't. Remember whatever he does is his actions caused by mental illness its not your responsibility and its not what you have done to make it be like this. You do all you can and if there was more to do you would do it.
ddsizebra
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Roasted Potato)
Could some of the family move to him if he can't move to you? If his job is unwilling to move him could you politely suggest some jobs closer (you do the research and find some and do the leg work for that so he doesn't have to worry about it). Have you had a look at the mental health act? Suggest therapy or counselling whilst he is working? Call him regularly to check on things! I really don't know! Its such a hard situation, I moved away from home for uni and left a friend behind who repeatedly tried to kill herself and its hard, you have to trust if you help them build a support network it will catch the person when you can't. Remember whatever he does is his actions caused by mental illness its not your responsibility and its not what you have done to make it be like this. You do all you can and if there was more to do you would do it.
Should he just quit and find something closer even if it's just a placement. Relocating family member would be unrealistic
Advertisement
Roasted Potato
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ddsizebra)
Should he just quit and find something closer even if it's just a placement. Relocating family member would be unrealistic
I am no therapist or counsellor so I dont have any experience! But moving closer to home might give him some stability but he would also have to move, which leads to instability, it would ruin any routine he already has, it might lead to the thought of he just can't do what he wants so whats the point, leading to feelings of failure, and the need to secure a new job or placement is stressful. There is certainly pros and cons to both him moving and not moving. I don't know him and you have to weigh this up yourself! He should also have a say, it is his life. If he is happy to move and you believe its the right choice then encourage it and facilitate it. If he isn't happy to move see what can be done about the current situation, like building a support network, therapy, maybe go part time for a short while. You have to facilitate what you think is best and what he wants in the best way you can, and most of the time you need to have a very real conversation with him about how it affects you, how you see how it affects him, and how you want to help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (22)
8.76%
Confident (30)
11.95%
Indifferent (43)
17.13%
Unsure (67)
26.69%
Worried (89)
35.46%

Watched Threads