How many resources do I need to get a Grade 9 at GCSE?

Watch
Ronnie2705
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
How many resources do I need to get a Grade 9 at GCSE?
Claydo66
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What subjects
nepotism
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think that past exam papers, the mark schemes and the examiners' reports are the key elements of getting a 9 at GCSE. There is no alternative but to graft through a ton of practise questions. As an aside, for maths Dr Frost Maths is very useful, and for science Physics and Maths Tutor is very useful too.
Ronnie2705
Rep:
?
(Original post by Claydo66)
What subjects
Mainly for Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
I'm doing AQA and I feel like I am using way too many resources, such as 2 textbooks, a range of videos, many websites and my school book to revise for a certain topic. I am literally spending all my time memorising everything and don't feel the need to make any notes, since I can just find the resource i was using if i forget or need to rework on something. I feel like I am revising badly and using too many resources just for one topic and by the time i get to year 11, I don't think it will be sustainable and i won't be able to cope. I am in year 9, going into year 10 and I am currently getting 9s and 8s, bt I want to keep it up. E.g. I literally use all of this just to revise for a simple topic so I fill in any gaps.

I am trying to sort myself out for year 10 during quarantine. (So sorry if i don't make any sense). Let me know if i need to make thing clearer.
Last edited by Ronnie2705; 1 week ago
Claydo66
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Ronnie2705)
Mainly for Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
I'm doing AQA and I feel like I am using way too many resources, such as 2 textbooks, a range of videos, many websites and my school book to revise for a certain topic. I am literally spending all my time memorising everything and don't feel the need to make any notes, since I can just find the resource i was using if i forget or need to rework on something. I feel like I am revising badly and using too many resources just for one topic and by the time i get to year 11, I don't think it will be sustainable and i won't be able to cope. I am in year 9, going into year 10 and I am currently getting 9s and 8s, bt I want to keep it up. E.g. I literally use all of this just to revise for a simple topic so I fill in any gaps.

I am trying to sort myself out for year 10 during quarantine. (So sorry if i don't make any sense). Let me know if i need to make thing clearer.
Well I got 7/8 in these subjects from memorising all the content. I only used the CGP revision guides and basically absorbed all the information. The reason I didnโ€™t get all 8s or 9s was because I lacked application skills which is something you might need to work on. I recommend getting the CGP higher books which just practice exam questions for higher marks. Doing practice questions and past papers is whatโ€™s going to polish your application skills. Also pay attention to mark schemes and make sure you are confident with the maths that crops up in these subjects and how to do the calculations.
I hope this helps.
Ronnie2705
Rep:
?
I agree. Back in my mock earlier this year, I got decent grades but I could have performed better if I were more concise and straight to the point in my answers. I knew the content very well but struggled on responding to certain questions. Since then, I have been doing a load of practice questions, my response are way more better. Anyway, thanks for your help.
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
there's no criteria in terms of number of resources for a grade 8/9. just make sure your revision is effective and you're using resources that you find useful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (76)
18.63%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (82)
20.1%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (78)
19.12%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (89)
21.81%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (41)
10.05%
I haven't started researching yet (42)
10.29%

Watched Threads