Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Is looking at the percentage of people getting 2:1s worth it, when looking for a university. One I looked at have 64% getting 2:1 or above and one having 87% 2:1 or above.
FauxHydon
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It depends on what you want. A lower percentage can mean that the course is a bit more difficult or that the teaching isn't great, but that shouldn't be what you base your choice on. Are you happy to spend three years in that city where you'll be studying? What are the facilities like? What are students saying?

It's always worth speaking to other students about the course you want to do. There are a lot of things that can make or break your experience. If you look at the Uni's reputation, some universities can be more difficult, but have a better reputation, which would explain the lower percentage. I think it would help if you shared what your choices are.

Your degree won't be worth as much if everyone is getting the same grades. If it's a good uni and less people are getting 2:1 or above, then if you get a 1st, you'll stand out from the crowd. But if 87% of people are getting 2:1 or above, even if you get a 1st, it's not going to have that much of an impact.
mike23mike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Is looking at the percentage of people getting 2:1s worth it, when looking for a university. One I looked at have 64% getting 2:1 or above and one having 87% 2:1 or above.
Absolutely its a factor but more importantly is the university itself. In your example, if the 87% 2.1 is from a 3rd rate uni then getting a 2.1 from there will not carry as much weight as getting a 2.2 from a top uni like Durham or Bristol.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (56)
9.03%
Confident (81)
13.06%
Indifferent (89)
14.35%
Unsure (159)
25.65%
Worried (235)
37.9%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise