Turn on thread page Beta

Another 'weighing up my options thread'. watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, first of what will hopefully be many posts.

Just wanted to ask about some advice as to what the best course of action for myself, seeing as I have some ideas, but am not 100% sure which of these options is the best one.

I've just completed my first year at college, and didn't get the best results in the world. I'm studying Maths, Politics and Economics, and got E,E and D respectively, which I'm rather shocked with to say the least. I'll be going back into college on Wednesday to re-enroll, talk about possible resits, among other things, but would appreciate a nod in the right direction.

The thing is, I should have actually finished college by now, but I restarted the year due to suffering with depression. My parents also broke up last Christmas among other thing, which didn't really help, in fact I'm almost certain I'd have done a lot better, as I did lose quite a lot of time in those particular months.

My targets/predicted grades for this year was CCC, with the idea of doing some resits depending on marks, and seeing how things played out. Now, as you can obviously tell, I am quite disappointed. My Economics wasn't that bad, as I managed to get a B in the Macroeconomic exam (Exam board was OCR), a C in U1? (I think) and messed up with an E in U2, so finished with 179/300, 1 mark off a C. I'm almost certain I can resit these two exams to get that C, possibly a B if I work hard, and with a bit of luck. Mathematics has been a nightmare for me these last few years to tell the truth. I managed a level 6 at 11, which at the time was quite a rarity. I managed to get an A* in Maths at year 10, but the college didn't support me in any shape in year 11, so I studied for statistics independently during year 11, but still forgot some skills in other areas of the syllabus, and as a result, have struggled with since, even with the aid of a tutor. I'll most likely have to resit C1, C2 and D1, as I know I can do better in all 3.

After getting my disappointing results, and being rather upset for several days, I've accepted them, but am still having trouble coping with my E in Politics. I have enthusiasm for the subject, and was doing Mock exams/Essays the whole year, consistently getting B/C's, which is why I am still shocked about the result. The exam board was Edexcel, and the marks I received were 60/100, 40/100, and 40/100. I found this rather peculiar, seeing as it seems as if I've scraped a C and 2 E's in the individual paper's by the skin of the teeth. I'm thinking of getting it remarked, but are those marks a possibility, as my father agrees with me that they seem to be a bit of an anomaly, as it is out of 100, and getting those marks seems a bit more than just a coincidence.

I also have aspirations to go to University, and am looking at A2 grades of CCC and above. I'm also starting an AS in Critical thinking this year, which I'm sure will be very useful.

I'm basically wondering if there have been many people in the same boat as me, how things turned out for them, as well as wondering if I should resit and remark those particular papers.

Thanks...

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.