Amelia2x
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi I am new to this but I am struggling of deciding to do french or geography which one is your favourite and what do u recommend
x.as
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Amelia2x)
Hi I am new to this but I am struggling of deciding to do french or geography which one is your favourite and what do u recommend
Hi,
I did my GCSEs a few years ago but I would say pick whichever subject you enjoy or enjoy more. I did both and I hated French (but that's just personal preference). I really enjoyed geography and found it interesting so I didn't find it very difficult ( probs because I didn't mind doing the work as much). Also doing geography (esp. human geo) helps you understand a bit more w what's going on in the world. Ik I'm super biased rn but go w what subject you prefer. Also if you enjoy both subjects would you consider the option to take both?
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'd recommend French.

Useful for me as at the time my aunt lived in France.
redmeercat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Personally, I couldn't recommend French more - you'll not only study language, which is really useful even if you only take it to GCSE level (and some unis require a language at GCSE for certain courses) but you'll also study some culture and gain access to more different cultures. I really respect geography and find it fascinating, but I feel like a language will open more doors. I should also say that I'm biased because I'm about to start a French degree, but yeah!
Amelia2x
Rep:
?
(Original post by x.as)
Hi,
I did my GCSEs a few years ago but I would say pick whichever subject you enjoy or enjoy more. I did both and I hated French (but that's just personal preference). I really enjoyed geography and found it interesting so I didn't find it very difficult ( probs because I didn't mind doing the work as much). Also doing geography (esp. human geo) helps you understand a bit more w what's going on in the world. Ik I'm super biased rn but go w what subject you prefer. Also if you enjoy both subjects would you consider the option to take both?
Thanks for responding I wouldn’t be able to take both as I am also taking art and music thx this has helped me a lot
x.as
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Amelia2x)
Thanks for responding I wouldn’t be able to take both as I am also taking art and music thx this has helped me a lot
no worries I hope you'll be able to make a definitive choice .
Amelia2x
Rep:
?
(Original post by redmeercat)
Personally, I couldn't recommend French more - you'll not only study language, which is really useful even if you only take it to GCSE level (and some unis require a language at GCSE for certain courses) but you'll also study some culture and gain access to more different cultures. I really respect geography and find it fascinating, but I feel like a language will open more doors. I should also say that I'm biased because I'm about to start a French degree, but yeah!
Okay thank you this is very good reasons as I am doing a con and pro thank u!
Amelia2x
Rep:
?
(Original post by barnetlad)
I'd recommend French.

Useful for me as at the time my aunt lived in France.
Okay thank you for your help it’s making my decisions easier
apolaroidofus
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi! I'm currently studying French and geography for GCSE. First thing I'd say is that both are very well-respected so it's more important to pick the subject you prefer. Having a language is brilliant and it does make you more attractive to employers, but it won't really open any doors for you unless you study it at A-level and beyond (GCSE French hardly prepares you to go to France and speak the language).

From personal experience, I would suggest you go with geography unless languages 'click' with you. Geography is more accessible and requires less natural ability for you to do well. French, on the other hand, can be confusing and you can get completely lost, especially in the listening and speaking exams.

Having said that, if you understand languages, they don't require copious amounts of revision and they can be very rewarding.

It might also be worth mentioning that if your school offers Spanish, an overwhelming number of people find Spanish easier to learn, especially since it's phonetic.

At the end of the day, the most important thing is the grade you come out with, and you will get good grades in subjects that you enjoy (as you will be motivated to study for them) and those that you have a natural ability in. This is something only you can determine, so just take some time to think about which subject you would rather study, and which you get better grades in, or even find easier.

Hope this helps and good luck deciding!
Amelia2x
Rep:
?
Thank you for responding it helps me a lot
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (56)
19.18%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (63)
21.58%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (58)
19.86%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (63)
21.58%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (26)
8.9%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
8.9%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise