Starting uni for the second time!

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Im starting a new course and want my experience to be better than it was at my last uni where I didn’t fit in or make any friends! How can I make this second chance at uni life better for me?
Econ1906
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Introduce yourself! When you go to lectures, turn to the people next to you and say Hi! that’s how I made my friends. Also join societies that follow your interests they often hold events and socials!
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Im starting a new course and want my experience to be better than it was at my last uni where I didn’t fit in or make any friends! How can I make this second chance at uni life better for me?
I think it's important to identify what you did or didn't do last time in order to ensure that history doesn't repeat itself. Try not to go in with high expectations, and just relax and enjoy the experience.
mike23mike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
As per the earlier writer, really understand what went wrong the first time? Wrong course? Fell in with a bad crowd? Wrong sort of uni - too small, too big. etc. If there are things about you that made uni life suck first time round then that is harder to change eg. naturally shy.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
fu ck friends! entertain yourself on our own, cinema, netflix, food, sports, gym , meet up with ur friends outside of uni regularly, study hard, work hard, maybe meet new friends at the night club or pub
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi there anonymous!

The only real piece of advice that I can give here is to actively go out of your way to meet and speak to people! Are you living within University Halls? are there facebook chats about these or perhaps your course? What interests do you have and does the university have any societies/clubs that cater for this? (At Hull, as I'm sure is the case with most universities, if your interest doesn't exist as a society then you can make one yoursself!)

I didn't meet most of my closest university friends until the second semester so try not to put too much pressure on yourself either

Best of luck,
Millie
Student Rep
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi!

I genuinely think just going into it with a positive mindset and excitement to put yourself out there will really help. Start conversations with people, invite people to go out with you to place or maybe to do work, join a society, and if you ever need help, ask for it! Know that even if you have bad moments this year, Uni really is like a rollercoaster and it's not gong to be going up all the time, and that's okay!

I hope this helps

Erin - Official Student Rep
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi,

I would say try and put your self out there as much as you can, so talking to your course mates, flat mates and going to any events that are taking place. If there are any chats for your new course or accommodation you could join them to get to know people before going to uni. You could also join societies to meet people with similar interests to you. Good luck!

Zaira 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (33)
8.03%
Confident (55)
13.38%
Indifferent (58)
14.11%
Unsure (105)
25.55%
Worried (160)
38.93%

Watched Threads

Latest