Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got AACD and im still planning on applying to AAB uni's...
    I'm just not going to leave the house all of next year except to venture to school and the library :P

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to study Classics/Classical Civilisation/Ancient History... What were your AS subjects if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    School and library sounds good!

ReputationRep:
    the thing is though have you been preditced AAAA by your teachers for A2 or are you talking about predictions you were given before you sat your As? If its predictions given before sitting As, chances are your A2 prediction, the ones which are given to unis, will be lower

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's true, but I'll try to convince them otherwise. I'm up for working really hard to get good grades so hopefully they'll see my committment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sorry...Alright...Well...)
    I got:

A - Politics
    B - Economics (5 marks off an A)
    B - Philosophy
    C - History (did no work for this at all, retaking all modules in Jan)

I think that with a couple remarks and loads of retakes I can get my grades up to AAA/AAB... But don't you have to specify what you got in your AS exams on your UCAS form? Would it make the unis think that I'm stupid to apply for a course that I might not make the entry requirements for?

Hope this question makes sense...and any help would be appreciated.

Btw, my subject teachers have predicted me AAAA, so would this work in my favour?

Thanks

to be honest it doesnt really matter what grade u got in AS its the final grade that counts. and it depends on your school whether you enter your AS results, as my school didnt allow us to enter them. If it helps, I got ABBC for my AS as well last year, but the unis didnt see my AS grades all they relied on my predictions, and I also applied for AAA/AAB courses. Overall I got AAAB for my A Levels this year and was 10 marks of an A. You just have to try your best to be honest but improve one or two grades (like the C) to get you up to a B. And if your teachers tell u that u wouldnt have to resit to get AAAA overall, dont listen to them. If I hadnt improve my AS grades I would have gotten ABBB and wouldnt have met my uni offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silk192)
    to be honest it doesnt really matter what grade u got in AS its the final grade that counts. and it depends on your school whether you enter your AS results, as my school didnt allow us to enter them. If it helps, I got ABBC for my AS as well last year, but the unis didnt see my AS grades all they relied on my predictions, and I also applied for AAA/AAB courses. Overall I got AAAB for my A Levels this year and was 10 marks of an A. You just have to try your best to be honest but improve one or two grades (like the C) to get you up to a B. And if your teachers tell u that u wouldnt have to resit to get AAAA overall, dont listen to them. If I hadnt improve my AS grades I would have gotten ABBB and wouldnt have met my uni offer.
    Thanks for that and well done in improving your grades! I hope my school doesn't cash my AS's in...

ReputationRep:
    No worries and same as Dionysia - I forgot to mention you might want a couple of ABB or ABC or similar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sorry...Alright...Well...)
    I got:

A - Politics
    B - Economics (5 marks off an A)
    B - Philosophy
    C - History (did no work for this at all, retaking all modules in Jan)

I think that with a couple remarks and loads of retakes I can get my grades up to AAA/AAB... But don't you have to specify what you got in your AS exams on your UCAS form? Would it make the unis think that I'm stupid to apply for a course that I might not make the entry requirements for?

Hope this question makes sense...and any help would be appreciated.

Btw, my subject teachers have predicted me AAAA, so would this work in my favour?

Thanks
    From this year onwards all unis can see unit grade information and this means you cannot hide your results. It could be that a uni will see your ABBC and reject you on this basis. However it could also be that they see this and look at ur predictions. Check UCAS.com for the unis you are applying and see if they take unit grade info into account. For example here is Imperial College London's policy:

Imperial College includes unit grade requirements in conditional offers for entry to some of its courses. Where unit grades are not included in conditional offers, selectors may use unit grade information when assessing applicants at Confirmation who have narrowly missed the required grades and when assessing applicants through the Clearing process.
    You are going to have to work very hard this year. Balancing retakes with A2 exams is not easy.

ReputationRep:
    You were narrowly off an A anyway so AAB shouldnt be a problem really. With retakes you should easily make AAA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coldfusion)
    You were narrowly off an A anyway so AAB shouldnt be a problem really. With retakes you should easily make AAA.
    Thanks for that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steve2006)
    From this year onwards all unis can see unit grade information and this means you cannot hide your results. It could be that a uni will see your ABBC and reject you on this basis. However it could also be that they see this and look at ur predictions. Check UCAS.com for the unis you are applying and see if they take unit grade info into account. For example here is Imperial College London's policy:

You are going to have to work very hard this year. Balancing retakes with A2 exams is not easy.
    Thanks for the heads-up, I didn't know that...I'll have a check!

ReputationRep:
    if you think your good enough to get your predicted grades then apply and see what happens from then on.

ReputationRep:

Can you provide the link for this steve?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 02mik_e)
    Can you provide the link for this steve?
    http://search.ucas.co.uk/cgi-bin/hsr...rch.run?y=2009

Search the course code e.g L100

Click on the degree under the uni u want e.g
    University College London (University of London) (U80) qualification

Economics (L100) 3FT Hon BScEcon

Click on Entry Requirements

Click on Course Specific Requirements

Look at Institution's Policy on Unit Grades Information

Not all unis have this info on UCAS. UCL dont seem to have it but Imperial and LSE do

ReputationRep:

Not all unis have this info on UCAS. UCL dont seem to have it but Imperial and LSE do
    Cheers for that!

ReputationRep:

Thanks. My school doesn't certify AS grades, so i don't think I can put it on the UCAS form, will this put me at a disadvantage?

ReputationRep:
    So it really is worth applying even with bad AS grades?

My AS grades are VERY poor- ACCD- and way below what I know I can achieve (sorry if I sound stuck-up, but it's true). If I apply to AAA/AAB unis, they really won't laugh at me?

I wasn't even going to bother applying this year, and just apply next year with my A-levels and have a gap year...Which is the better option?

ReputationRep:
    I am in exactly the same position with grades and predictions (Different subjects though).

Just a little clarification I'm after, if I am getting something remarked I can put the grade as 'pending' can't I? If i state my other module marks (IE, in two subjects i got AAE/AAD, so I am getting the E/D modules remarked) then they will see that I'm not just avoiding telling them I'm waiting for remarks won't they?

I know that isn't worded very well (extremely tired), but hope it makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    everypoint! there's always light at the end of the tunnel!! i got abbb at AS! i worked hard at A2, did retakes and got AABa! so its defo worth it, GO FOR IT!

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.