The Student Room Group

Got ABBC at AS-level... is there any point in applying to unis that want AAA/AAB etc?

Scroll to see replies

Sorry...Alright...Well...
I got:

A - Politics
B - Economics (5 marks off an A)
B - Philosophy
C - History (did no work for this at all, retaking all modules in Jan)

I think that with a couple remarks and loads of retakes I can get my grades up to AAA/AAB... But don't you have to specify what you got in your AS exams on your UCAS form? Would it make the unis think that I'm stupid to apply for a course that I might not make the entry requirements for?

Hope this question makes sense...and any help would be appreciated.

Btw, my subject teachers have predicted me AAAA, so would this work in my favour?

Thanks

Good luck with History - thats going to take lots of extra work. Depending what you want to do, I would suggest dropping a subject to ensure you get AAA. btw, how did you get them to predict AAAA when you got ABBC?
SylverStrike
So it really is worth applying even with bad AS grades?

My AS grades are VERY poor- ACCD- and way below what I know I can achieve (sorry if I sound stuck-up, but it's true). If I apply to AAA/AAB unis, they really won't laugh at me?

I wasn't even going to bother applying this year, and just apply next year with my A-levels and have a gap year...Which is the better option?

Well, looking at your GCSE grades, I don't think you are being stuck-up at all, you probably are capable of doing better, and from all the advice I had today, I think that with re-takes you'll be fine.
I think that if you don't 'cash in' or certify your AS's, then the uni's you apply to can't see what your grades are. You just put them as pending, that way if your references are good, then applying to good unis shouldn't be a problem.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, it's a bit late and I'm tired lol.
Well, looking at your GCSE grades, I don't think you are being stuck-up at all, you probably are capable of doing better, and from all the advice I had today, I think that with re-takes you'll be fine.
I think that if you don't 'cash in' or certify your AS's, then the uni's you apply to can't see what your grades are. You just put them as pending, that way if your references are good, then applying to good unis shouldn't be a problem.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, it's a bit late and I'm tired lol.

Well, I've read the report thing my form tutor would be sending off to the universities, and it seems pretty good.

Hopefully my predicted grades will be okay, but I honestly have no idea for some subjects.

Okay, thanks for the advice! I might be reconsidering my options.
I got ABBC at AS and I got into Imperial :smile:. I was predicted AAA.

Just put your grades as "Pending" on your UCAS form.
T-o dore
Good luck with History - thats going to take lots of extra work. Depending what you want to do, I would suggest dropping a subject to ensure you get AAA. btw, how did you get them to predict AAAA when you got ABBC?

Oh sorry, I didn't make it clear that they predicted me AAAA before my results came back. And History, well I figured that because I didn't work at all for it then if I do now, my grade is bound to go up lol.
Oh sorry, I didn't make it clear that they predicted me AAAA before my results came back. And History, well I figured that because I didn't work at all for it then if I do now, my grade is bound to go up lol.

The predictions will likely shift in that case. It might be worth thinking about working hard at resits now and achieving AAAA, then take a gap year and reapply? AS results are only part of the criteria, however, and although they will disadvantage you compared with someone who got straight A's, they are only a small part of the application.
Kalashnikov
put your grades as "Pending" on your UCAS form.

Or you could do that.
T-o dore
Or you could do that.

Lol. I really don't want to take a gap year. If I don't make it to AAA/AAB then I'll opt for a lower uni, but I'm going to try my absolute best, so hopefully, I should make it.

Thanks for your advice!
not hijacking the thread or anything but if you put al your grades as pending because you are resiting some modules then won't unis think that you failed
sleekchic
not hijacking the thread or anything but if you put al your grades as pending because you are resiting some modules then won't unis think that you failed

Obviously they didn't think that when I was in her situation.
02mik_e
Thanks. My school doesn't certify AS grades, so i don't think I can put it on the UCAS form, will this put me at a disadvantage?

im not really sure mate. I think my school told me last year that for the 08/09 cycle of UCAS, you can no longer put the grade down as pending. You have to show all unit grade info. In the past people used to put the AS grade down as pending which in effect hid their actual grades and the unis could only see their predicted grades. I dont think this is the case now.
Hi, well i also got ABBC at AS level.
I am currently going into Year 13, and i am confused as to which universities to apply to.

i got, A in English Literature at which no one else in my school did :|, B in Religious Studies (3 off an A), B in Music, and C in History.

Should i still apply for Cambridge, which is my dream place to go to, or should i forget the dream and start being more realistic???

Thank you
writergirl
Hi, well i also got ABBC at AS level.
I am currently going into Year 13, and i am confused as to which universities to apply to.

i got, A in English Literature at which no one else in my school did :|, B in Religious Studies (3 off an A), B in Music, and C in History.

Should i still apply for Cambridge, which is my dream place to go to, or should i forget the dream and start being more realistic???

Thank you

Well, first off, congratz on the A in English Lit! Umm... Well I e-mailed Cambridge and told them of my grades and they said that I should still try to apply. If you don't apply, then you can never get in. I think you should give it a go. They are not just looking at your grades, your personal statement should be good along with any written essays or tests you have to do.

You are only 3 marks off an A with RE/RS, so that should get up to an A easily. If you think your predictions will be good and that you can get your grades up, then go for it. That's just my opinion though lol. Hope it helps!
Well, first off, congratz on the A in English Lit! Umm... Well I e-mailed Cambridge and told them of my grades and they said that I should still try to apply. If you don't apply, then you can never get in. I think you should give it a go. They are not just looking at your grades, your personal statement should be good along with any written essays or tests you have to do.

You are only 3 marks off an A with RE/RS, so that should get up to an A easily. If you think your predictions will be good and that you can get your grades up, then go for it. That's just my opinion though lol. Hope it helps!

Well thank you ever so much :smile: that is so encouraging of you. What grades did you email them with?
I am predicted AAAA :| and my extra curricular activites include Grade 8 singing, Grade 8 clarinet, grade 6 piano and saxophone, being deputy head girl at school, publishing my own book, coaching tennis at the weekends and building up a creative writing portfolio.

i actually looked around there, and they were extremely interested in my personality and extra activites point of view, they said from that side i had a chance of getting in :smile: but its just the grades:frown:

i will work so hard if i get an interview, its just whether theyll accept me to interview in the first place

:|
writergirl
Well thank you ever so much :smile: that is so encouraging of you. What grades did you email them with?
I am predicted AAAA :| and my extra curricular activites include Grade 8 singing, Grade 8 clarinet, grade 6 piano and saxophone, being deputy head girl at school, publishing my own book, coaching tennis at the weekends and building up a creative writing portfolio.

i actually looked around there, and they were extremely interested in my personality and extra activites point of view, they said from that side i had a chance of getting in :smile: but its just the grades:frown:

i will work so hard if i get an interview, its just whether theyll accept me to interview in the first place

:|

Lol, I'm the thread starter, so I felt exactly the same as you until people posted and told me I should have a go. You sound like a great person, your musical side is amazing as are your extra-curricular activities. I got ABBC (for individual unit grades, check out my profile) and I was predicted AAAA before I got my grades, not sure what my predictions are now, but I'm going to try and persuade my teachers to keep them the same.
If you e-mail admissions and tell them what you want to study, then they should get back to you (they got back to me within 10 mins :biggrin: but seeing as its a bank holiday today...)
[email protected] - this is the e-mail address. They should refer you to an English lecturer, I think.

Hope this helps!
Lol, I'm the thread starter, so I felt exactly the same as you until people posted and told me I should have a go. You sound like a great person, your musical side is amazing as are your extra-curricular activities. I got ABBC (for individual unit grades, check out my profile) and I was predicted AAAA before I got my grades, not sure what my predictions are now, but I'm going to try and persuade my teachers to keep them the same.
If you e-mail admissions and tell them what you want to study, then they should get back to you (they got back to me within 10 mins :biggrin: but seeing as its a bank holiday today...)
[email protected] - this is the e-mail address. They should refer you to an English lecturer, I think.

Hope this helps!

ohh your the thread starter! haha sorry, im new to this! :smile:
thank you so much for all your help, i really cannot express how grateful i am, lets just hope they give my extra activities a chance too before writing me off

haha.

what are you hoping to do etc?
Go for it. I got ABBBC at AS, and with hard work and resits I managed to push my them up to AAAbc (couldn't be bothered to resit dropped subjects!). It's definitely possible, and all the extra experience should give you a good advantage when resitting exams later.
Good luck! :biggrin:
writergirl
ohh your the thread starter! haha sorry, im new to this! :smile:
thank you so much for all your help, i really cannot express how grateful i am, lets just hope they give my extra activities a chance too before writing me off

haha.

what are you hoping to do etc?

I'd like to do Classics/Classical Civilisation/Ancient History, that sort of thing. And no prob, I'm glad I could help. :biggrin:
insomniac89
Go for it. I got ABBBC at AS, and with hard work and resits I managed to push my them up to AAAbc (couldn't be bothered to resit dropped subjects!). It's definitely possible, and all the extra experience should give you a good advantage when resitting exams later.
Good luck! :biggrin:

Thanks for that! All this advice is amazing! I feel so much better now and not so worried! :smile:
Thanks for that! All this advice is amazing! I feel so much better now and not so worried! :smile:

i know that feeling :smile:

And theres people who say being a student isnt stressfull?
i swear, if ANYONE said to me the a levels are getting easier, ill actually harm them

haha

Quick Reply

Latest