The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Straight AAA for economics???

Hi all,
Just a quick question to those at warwick (or any others). Basically, I attended an economics talk at warwick's last open day. The professor (ian walker) giving the talk said that there was absolutely NO POINT of applying for straight economics without predicted grades of AAA. Is this true???
Does this also apply for applications for industrial economics?

Thanks
it probably is true, it's very competitive with applicants to places ratio of like 10:1...
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
so why do they still give their grade requirements as AABb on both UCAS and their website? seems a bit unfair imo, giving people false hope and therefore wasting a space

EDIT: just had a thought, considering that alot of people would take it as an AAB uni, do you think there's the possibility that the 10:1 ratio is not 100% realistic as there are people who have less of a chance? eg those who applied with AAB without realising they needed AAA
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
so why do they still give their grade requirements as AABb on both UCAS and their website? seems a bit unfair imo, giving people false hope and therefore wasting a space

EDIT: just had a thought, considering that alot of people would take it as an AAB uni, do you think there's the possibility that the 10:1 ratio is not 100% realistic as there are people who have less of a chance? eg those who applied with AAB without realising they needed AAA

it's only 10:1 for some courses...
Reply 4
don't forget: unis give out more offers than there are places. so that 10:1 is probably more like 3:1 in the real world.
Totally Tom
it's only 10:1 for some courses...

i know but i'm talking about economics and you're talking about economics too right?
madima
don't forget: unis give out more offers than there are places. so that 10:1 is probably more like 3:1 in the real world.

that doesn't make any sense, because in both those cases there are more offers than places :s-smilie:
Reply 7
mary26
Hi all,

Does this also apply for applications for industrial economics?

Thanks

Industrial Economics is less competitive than striaght Economics.
It's supposed to be one of the best economics courses in the country, so most people on it/applicants will naturally have straight A's.
England Captain
It's supposed to be one of the best economics courses in the country, so most people on it/applicants will naturally have straight A's.

yea i understand that but then why would they put their entry requirements as AABb and not AAA? Giving false hope to some and wasting their time
Reply 10
I reckon they do take a few who get AABb, but most have 3 or 4As. There's one guy here who got 8As, doin Econ. Several 40pt+ IBers as well. From what I see, this applies to all Econ dept courses + PPE, and of course MORSE and Maths dept courses.
Reply 11
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
that doesn't make any sense, because in both those cases there are more offers than places :s-smilie:

wtf are you on about, son?
madima
wtf are you on about, son?

i have no ****ing idea now lol, just ignore me :P
Reply 13
Most people I know doing econ have 3As+
Reply 14
I think it is just for a bit more leway really, means people can get in if they get a B as they mess up an exam or something. But most like has been said will have 3 A's.

Latest

Trending

Trending