What should a gallery sales person wear?

Watch
username5326466
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have a job in an art gallery and I’m trying to order new clothes for it. I’m a girl btw. The manager looks really glam. I don’t think it’s like a ‘ smart trousers and blouse’ sort of thing. Maybe a stylish smart look? Should I wear heels? Or a nice dress? So many options I can’t decide
Roasted Potato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I love wearing heels but you might be walking round loads showing art etc. so be sure the shoes you chose are comfortable enough to wear all day! Stylish and smart is defo the way to go! Always better to over dress than under dress as well! You will want a couple of suit type things, have a nice stylish blazer, dress, skirt and trousers, you can find really nice stuff in charity shops or depop if you dont have the money to buy it all and couple of shirts, one really smart and maybe a nice blouse. You can always email your manager for advice, she won't bite, if anything she will be pleased you are taking time to be concerned with your look so that you will represent the company well!
username5027880
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A nice skirt or dress i think always looks smart in my opinion.
But as the previous poster said you could always ask your manager for advice, im sure she would be pleased to help you.
username4222532
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hollyoaks678)
I have a job in an art gallery and I’m trying to order new clothes for it. I’m a girl btw. The manager looks really glam. I don’t think it’s like a ‘ smart trousers and blouse’ sort of thing. Maybe a stylish smart look? Should I wear heels? Or a nice dress? So many options I can’t decide
Have a look in Marks and Spence
xxx0xxxo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you prefer trousers: get a cool dark pair, not boring suit workwear ones, i see carpenter trousers or culottes on young gallery folk a lot

If you prefer skirts: A midi is a safer bet, I've seen lots of crazy patterned fun ones but might not be white-cube enough depends on your gallery

Tops: Turtlenecks are common, if you don't want a formal blouse then a comfier top/jumper with silhouette details like balloon or flare sleeves, a notch neckline, can glam up a top

Accessories: Here is your chance to be more creative, a sleek belt or cool pair of earrings could make a boring all back outfit look more interesting.

Makeup: A pop of something again makes a difference, more so lipstick

I have to say the most common outfit i've seen is this context is a black turtleneck, black palazzo trousers/culottes, a bun of some kind, Dr Martens and some oversized earrings or necklace
username5326466
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by leopard202)
If you prefer trousers: get a cool dark pair, not boring suit workwear ones, i see carpenter trousers or culottes on young gallery folk a lot

If you prefer skirts: A midi is a safer bet, I've seen lots of crazy patterned fun ones but might not be white-cube enough depends on your gallery

Tops: Turtlenecks are common, if you don't want a formal blouse then a comfier top/jumper with silhouette details like balloon or flare sleeves, a notch neckline, can glam up a top

Accessories: Here is your chance to be more creative, a sleek belt or cool pair of earrings could make a boring all back outfit look more interesting.

Makeup: A pop of something again makes a difference, more so lipstick

I have to say the most common outfit i've seen is this context is a black turtleneck, black palazzo trousers/culottes, a bun of some kind, Dr Martens and some oversized earrings or necklace
Thanks so much! Yeah I’ve ordered some midi skirts- you know the ones you see a lot recently? And also love culottes! What shoes though? Are white converse smart enough? Or loafers? The only thing is in winter these things don’t go well with tights...so I’m thinking a pair of black ankle boots?
xxx0xxxo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks so much! Yeah I’ve ordered some midi skirts- you know the ones you see a lot recently? And also love culottes! What shoes though? Are white converse smart enough? Or loafers? The only thing is in winter these things don’t go well with tights...so I’m thinking a pair of black ankle boots?
If white trainers are fine (check) maybe wear them after your first week after seeing if colleagues wear them too. Play it safe until you get a better idea by observing others.

You can wear skin coloured tights under culottes or fishnet ones so they look stylish/invisible but I also have seen people wear opaque black tights under them with chunky boots for a more grungy look.

Loafers are always good, lace up flat shoes like these ( https://www.dorothyperkins.com/en/dp...E&gclsrc=aw.ds ) go with anything. Mango are more expensive but have some really chic slim ankle booties with pointed or square toes. I personally wore those quite a bit for my gallery / events jobs with rolled up cigarette pants they looked good
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (13)
14.44%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.78%
I need help with filling out the application form (5)
5.56%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
40%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.56%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.22%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.44%

Watched Threads