e.s.m.e
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi,
I'm so torn as to whether I should apply!! My GCSE grades were 7s and 8s except for a 6 in maths. I want to do English Literature so I don't think the 6 is that peak... or is it? I take English lit, psychology and DT at A level and my 'target' grades are A*A*A. (we haven't been given legit predicted grades yet). My English tutor told me it is worth me applying but purely for interview practice - I think applying for this reason may be a waste of time though! She may just be trying to mentally prepare me for rejection but I'm overthinking now.. So yeah I need someone to tell me how it is without bias.
apolaroidofus
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The only thing I can tell you for certain is that you won't get in if you don't apply.

At the end of the day, while your GCSEs/A-levels are an important part of the selection criteria, the main focus will be on your English ability. Are you naturally talented at English? Can you demonstrate a clear passion for the subject?

If you can write a killer personal statement, there's no reason you shouldn't give it a shot!

Would you be leaning more towards Oxford or Cambridge, and have you thought about any particular college?
Roasted Potato
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You will always fail if you don't try! Oxbridge is notoriously hard but not impossible and they have some oof the toughest interviews and interview experience is always good.

Your previous results are important but they do have their other tests don't they and their interviews so your results are only part of the reason you may or may not get in. You don't really have anything to lose so go for it!
e.s.m.e
Rep:
?
(Original post by apolaroidofus)
The only thing I can tell you for certain is that you won't get in if you don't apply.

At the end of the day, while your GCSEs/A-levels are an important part of the selection criteria, the main focus will be on your English ability. Are you naturally talented at English? Can you demonstrate a clear passion for the subject?

If you can write a killer personal statement, there's no reason you shouldn't give it a shot!

Would you be leaning more towards Oxford or Cambridge, and have you thought about any particular college?
I would like to think that I have a good ability in the subject. And I am definitely passionate about it which I hope I can successfully express when applying.

I think I would prolly go for Oxford since their entry requirements are lower and I still do not know what my predicted grades will be. I also have a friend that will be attending Oxford this year. I have no clue regarding colleges. I'm scared to look into them because I don't want to get my hopes up or anything!
username4247768
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by e.s.m.e)
I would like to think that I have a good ability in the subject. And I am definitely passionate about it which I hope I can successfully express when applying.

I think I would prolly go for Oxford since their entry requirements are lower and I still do not know what my predicted grades will be. I also have a friend that will be attending Oxford this year. I have no clue regarding colleges. I'm scared to look into them because I don't want to get my hopes up or anything!
I would go for cam cause your gcses arent the best. they're v good but oxford tends to have a lot of A*/9s. They look at gcses a lot more than cam
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Cambridge doesn't care much about GCSEs, so those won't matter so much for that. Oxford do use GCSEs when shortlisting for interview, but they interview a reasonably large proportion of English applicants, and ELAT performance will probably be quite important for that as well.

Either is possible, essentially. Do you have a preference for one course over the other? There are some differences between the main courses at each, and Oxford also has the various joint schools, while Cambridge has ASNAC as an alternative if your interest is primarily in early medieval and related literatures.
AzureCeleste
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Oxford are GCSE heavy, Cambridge are less GCSE heavy
Look into all components of the application process to determine where you would have the higher chance (also consider contextually, are you in a low or high performing school- where do your grades sit compared to the average person at your school?).
artful_lounger has also given some good points to consider

I would say you may as well apply because you do have 4 other options for uni if you don't get in
e.s.m.e
Rep:
?
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
Oxford are GCSE heavy, Cambridge are less GCSE heavy
Look into all components of the application process to determine where you would have the higher chance (also consider contextually, are you in a low or high performing school- where do your grades sit compared to the average person at your school?).
artful_lounger has also given some good points to consider

I would say you may as well apply because you do have 4 other options for uni if you don't get in
My school is a state school and my GCSE grades were very good, not the best, but better than average for my school. In general my school is slightly better than average performance wise for state schools. I really just want to apply to the place I will have the best chance at.
AzureCeleste
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by e.s.m.e)
My school is a state school and my GCSE grades were very good, not the best, but better than average for my school. In general my school is slightly better than average performance wise for state schools. I really just want to apply to the place I will have the best chance at.
Then I suppose you could apply to Oxford, just look through the whole process and no of applicants they interview to maximise your chances
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (33)
8.27%
Confident (54)
13.53%
Indifferent (56)
14.04%
Unsure (102)
25.56%
Worried (154)
38.6%

Watched Threads