Mature student, lost GCSES and can't order replacements due to COVID. What do I do?

Watch
Beebityboo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm trying to complete my UCAS form and it really needs to be submitted tomorrow or Monday. After tearing my house apart it appears I have lost my GCSE certificates. I'm a mature student and sat them in 2005. My old school has since been demolished. I'm aware I can apply online for replacements but they have temporarily suspended this service due to COVID.I have my A level results and the uni course makes no request for any GCSES on it's entry requirements, but will I even be able to complete my UCAS form without them? Will the uni even give my application a second look without them? I can vaguely remember my results but have no idea about what exam body I took them with.Just after some idea of what to do really. It's taken me ages to get up the guts to do this and I would be so sad if I lost the opportunity because of this.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Beebityboo)
I'm trying to complete my UCAS form and it really needs to be submitted tomorrow or Monday. After tearing my house apart it appears I have lost my GCSE certificates. I'm a mature student and sat them in 2005. My old school has since been demolished. I'm aware I can apply online for replacements but they have temporarily suspended this service due to COVID.I have my A level results and the uni course makes no request for any GCSES on it's entry requirements, but will I even be able to complete my UCAS form without them? Will the uni even give my application a second look without them? I can vaguely remember my results but have no idea about what exam body I took them with.Just after some idea of what to do really. It's taken me ages to get up the guts to do this and I would be so sad if I lost the opportunity because of this.
If you know what you grades were you can do the application, you won't need to show the university your certificates immediately in most cases
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Do you have a Facebook group for your school? Or any old school friends? Or does your parent have friends whose kids may have gone to your school?

That may help you track down the board. But else complete it with just grades and subjects fir now and board unknown.
Beebityboo
Rep:
?
The only school friend I still keep in touch with hasn't got hers either. I also am not 100% sure about all of my grades and don't want that to get me in trouble later on.
Beebityboo
Rep:
?
I do know my maths and english grades though.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The only school friend I still keep in touch with hasn't got hers either. I also am not 100% sure about all of my grades and don't want that to get me in trouble later on.
If you don't know the grades you are in a potentially tricky situation- do you know your maths and English (language) grades?

I'd contact unis and explain the situation- but it's very likely you will need replacement certificates before enrolment.
conorellis42
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Call UCAS and ask them.
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You won't be the only one in this situation. I would put down the important ones that you can remember. Don't worry too much about which board though.

Then on Monday, I would email the admissions department of the universities that you have applied to explaining the situation. You have the more important A level results which is the key. They only want to know that you have maths and English.

My son had a similar problems - I have not seen his GCSE results in years. He applied to UCL for a masters and got in. Nobody has yet asked for his exam certificates - difference is I know what he got although not the boards - but we are proabably going to have to get replacements
Beebityboo
Rep:
?
Yes I do know my maths and English grades and most of the others except Science. I did terribly at the time as I was recovering from major surgery due to my disability so they definitely wouldn't be impressed by them! I did pass english and drama though.
Beebityboo
Rep:
?
I don't have maths but it isn't a requirement for my course and I am going to be taking it at a later stage so hopefully that won't count against me!
Catherine1973
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Not got any old cvs that may have grades on?
If you can’t remember I’d put the lowest you think you’d have got. Unless you have zero idea?
Do you have a parent that may remember?
Beebityboo
Rep:
?
No my mum has no idea where they are either. I was really unwell at the time so it wasn't a priority and somehow they just got lost. I thought they were with my A levels but sadly not!
IonaBubble
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Contact the university and explain. I didn’t have to show my certificates until I enrolled in the September in the first year. I am starting in another qualification this September and I had to submit copies before my interview (in January).
Beebityboo
Rep:
?
Yeah I'll have to call admissions on Monday and see what I can do. I'll be so upset if this ruins my chances for this year though as it's taken me ages to actually get the nerve to apply.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don't have maths but it isn't a requirement for my course and I am going to be taking it at a later stage so hopefully that won't count against me!
When you say at a later stage, do you mean next summer? If so, you need to list it as pending on your application and the uni may give you an offer conditional on your maths grade.

You will need to get an English certificate at some point. Are you applying for 2021 entry?
Beebityboo
Rep:
?
My uni course doesn't ask for a maths GCSE and I'm applying for September 2020.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Put the grades you’re sure of with your best guess of exam board.

Ask your referee to explain that your GCSEs have been entered from memory and that you’re unable to order replacements right now die to cv19. It’s possible that your university will be able to access and verify your GCSEs through the Learning Records Service.
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
You should be able to guesstimate them, if they weren't absolutely atrocious universities won't care. Your redone A levels are of far more interest... I'm guessing your about my age... I'll give you an example... When i applied for my master's degree no one even asked about my A level certificates... Uni's tend to care more about your most recent qualification.

As a matter of fact, my university for my undergrad even used my US Highschool diploma as proof of English... And never actually asked for it! 😂

I wouldn't worry about it too much at all. Unless your applying to Oxbridge, i highly doubt any university is going to extract much information from 15 yr old GCSEs... What you did as a 16 yr old isn't gonna matter now that your 29ish or 30 (my age lol).
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Just follow PQ's guidance
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (63)
19.27%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (70)
21.41%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (61)
18.65%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (69)
21.1%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (32)
9.79%
I haven't started researching yet (32)
9.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed