Thoughts on bisexuals vs pansexuals

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I just wanted to start this discussion as I have recently seen this issue pop up and so I thought it would be interesting to see people thoughts on the differences between bisexual and pansexual.
Please share your thoughts but also be respectful to others opinions.
Vapordave
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
From what I've been told, bisexual people take gender into consideration in attraction, but pansexual people do not. The distinction is important to some and I'm cool with that.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
I love being bi, I'm attracted to both genders.
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've never really understood the difference.
Does 'bi' mean that you are exclusively attracted to someone who's sex is either male or female? And therefore not someone who is intersex.
OR is 'bi' a trans and non-binary exclusionary sexuality?
Because if neither is true, I am confused about what is the point in using the term 'pan'.
Last edited by glassalice; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by glassalice)
I've never really understood the difference.
Does 'bi' mean that you are attracted either exclusively to someone who's sex is either male or female? And therefore not someone who is intersex.
OR is 'bi' a trans and non-binary exclusionary sexuality?
Because if neither is true, I am confused about what is the point in using the term 'pan'.
bisexual is 2 or more genders which can include all genders
I think pansexual is all genders and they are gender blind so the difference is that bisexuals can have a preference in genders but pansexual cannot?
awkwardshortguy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm pretty sure that everyone who is attracted to both masculine and feminine forms will also be attracted to hermaphrodites and people with other disorders of sex development.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Bisexuals can be sexually attracted to both male individuals and female individuals.
Pansexuals can be sexually attracted to individuals of all gender identities and also those that prefer to identify as non-binary.
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As a general rule, most people use the terms interchangeably to mean the same thing. People who prefer the term pansexual tend to want to emphasise that their attraction isn't limited to only cisgender men and women.
renaamz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
Bisexuals can be sexually attracted to both male individuals and female individuals.
Pansexuals can be sexually attracted to individuals of all gender identities and also those that prefer to identify as non-binary.
Bisexuality is two or more genders and is not just limited to males and females

(Original post by sinfonietta)
As a general rule, most people use the terms interchangeably to mean the same thing. People who prefer the term pansexual tend to want to emphasise that they're not limiting themselves to cisgender men and women.
This could be damaging to the bisexual community as bisexuality is two or more genders which can include all
renaamz
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Personally I'm not an expert, I do know that the two terms are a little confusing and think they are basically the same just that pansexuals don't have a preference but I will respect someone if they would rather go as pansexual rather than bisexual or vice versa
Last edited by renaamz; 1 month ago
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by renaamz)
Bisexuality is two or more genders and is not just limited to males and females
I was referring to biological sex.
Quite a few bisexuals have told me that they are attracted to both cis males & cis females.
But say they are not attracted to transsexuals, any other members of the trans community and non-binary identifying individuals who have adopted an androgynous appearance.
While pansexuals have said that they are sexually attracted to individuals of all gender identities; including individuals with an androgynous appearance, all sections of the trans community and those that prefer to identify as non-binary.
renaamz
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I was referring to biological sex.
Quite a few bisexuals have told me that they are attracted to both cis males & cis females.
But say they are not attracted to transsexuals, any other members of the trans community and non-binary identifying individuals who have adopted an androgynous appearance.
While pansexuals have said that they are sexually attracted to individuals of all gender identities; including individuals with an androgynous appearance, all sections of the trans community and those that prefer to identify as non-binary.
As I said it is two or more. Bisexuality includes transgender, non-binary...
There are bisexuals that may only be attracted to males and females but there are also bisexuals that are attracted to all genders.
Cici M
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There are only two 'genders' so bisexuality exists but pansexuality doesn't really.
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Cici M)
There are only two 'genders' so bisexuality exists but pansexuality doesn't really.
Do you mean biological sex? :confused:
akragas
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There is no difference, it's just US college students trying to be special.
TigerRoll
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't like labels but I put myself as I bisexual. I like men and I like women. I've never actually thought more into what that means. I like who I'm attracted to.
wastedcuriosity
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There's two sexes (or maybe 3, if you include intersex, I'm not sure though?)
There's a spectrum of genders, so pansexuality does exist imo.
Cici M
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you mean biological sex? :confused:
No. There are only two genders.
TheStarboy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No. There are only two genders.
Science disagrees with you. Science is currently finding out that Gender isn't so binary.
Cici M
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TheStarboy)
Science disagrees with you. Science is currently finding out that Gender isn't so binary.
There are only two genders, sorry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (265)
40.21%
Take autumn exams (198)
30.05%
Look for a job (22)
3.34%
Consider an apprenticeship (25)
3.79%
Take a year out (110)
16.69%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (39)
5.92%

Watched Threads