Are they going to be disadvantaged?

Watch
jazzyman123
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Are the people who were going to be resitting their GCSE in the summer going to be disadvantaged compared people who are sitting for the first time?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by jazzyman123)
Are the people who were going to be resitting their GCSE in the summer going to be disadvantaged compared people who are sitting for the first time?
You mean the ones who get calculated grades? They can still choose to sit the exams.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
It depends on whether they were attending lessons, in which case they should get a calculated grade like anyone else, or just self-teaching and taking the exam in which case it's unlikely anyone will be able to predict them a grade
Last edited by Compost; 5 days ago
jazzyman123
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Compost)
It depends on whether they were attending lessons, in which case they should get a calculated grade like anyone else, or just self-teacjing and taking the exam in which case it's unlikely anyone will be able to predict them a grade
As in they’ve attended all lessons since the start of the academic year so the teachers feel confident of giving them a grade.

However what I wanted to know was will the standardisation process treat them equally to students that are sitting the exam for the first time
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by jazzyman123)
As in they’ve attended all lessons since the start of the academic year so the teachers feel confident of giving them a grade.

However what I wanted to know was will the standardisation process treat them equally to students that are sitting the exam for the first time
There will effectively be 2 standardisation processes, one within the centre and one nationally. The centre has to combine the calculated results from all the different teachers/classes into a single rank order list and then, at a national level, the centre's submitted results will be considered alongside the centre's previous results, national distributions and prior performance of the cohort. The second one should be blind to whether a candidate is re-sitting or not but the first one may be more susceptible to favoritism of the Y11 students.
jazzyman123
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Compost)
There will effectively be 2 standardisation processes, one within the centre and one nationally. The centre has to combine the calculated results from all the different teachers/classes into a single rank order list and then, at a national level, the centre's submitted results will be considered alongside the centre's previous results, national distributions and prior performance of the cohort. The second one should be blind to whether a candidate is re-sitting or not but the first one may be more susceptible to favoritism of the Y11 students.
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (52)
19.26%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (60)
22.22%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (52)
19.26%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (56)
20.74%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (25)
9.26%
I haven't started researching yet (25)
9.26%

Watched Threads