Struggling to understand Judicial Controls on Delegated Legislation

Watch
Graceken99xx
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi guys I’m studying a level law with the open college and I’m really struggling to understand Judicial Controls on Delegated Legislation I understand that it’s passed onto the courts if parliament can’t deal with it (for example a government minister is creating legislation statutory instruments that were never intended by parliament) I then get stuck on what the court then do? I’ve gone through all YouTube videos I have an AQA Law revision book but the answer is unclear? I just want to know judicial controls on delegated legislation please can someone help thank you
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
we did a whole chunk on delegated legislation on our degree course plus the courts review of it (this was under judicial review) - judges can review decisions made under delegated legislation (by ministers or councils for example) when the public bring a case disputing a decision.

then they consider whether the process was fair and whether the decision was not TOTALLY UNREASONABLE (Wednesday unreasonableness). they do not change the decision BUT can send the decision back to the decision maker to review (which may mean same outcome but the processs to decide is now fair) (and fairness breaks down into a few things like bias and procedural improprietary)

this was a useful summary.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...S-OCT-2018.pdf
Graceken99xx
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
THANK YOU!!! That is the exact type of information I needed to understand!!!! Thank you so much
Arkansas
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Graceken99xx)
Hi guys I’m studying a level law with the open college and I’m really struggling to understand Judicial Controls on Delegated Legislation I understand that it’s passed onto the courts if parliament can’t deal with it (for example a government minister is creating legislation statutory instruments that were never intended by parliament) I then get stuck on what the court then do? I’ve gone through all YouTube videos I have an AQA Law revision book but the answer is unclear? I just want to know judicial controls on delegated legislation please can someone help thank you
The other answer brings the grounds for judicial review and the remedies the court may offer. I must stress that those remedies are used to determine if a decision was made/is lawful and so some won't apply at all.

If we're solely talking about the authority of delegated legislation, then the courts adopt several approaches.

- Reinterpretation & Human Rights Compliance is the predominant one. The Human Rights Act authorises the courts to reinterpreted whenever possible delegated legislation and primary legislation to be convention rights compliant. The beauty of delegated legislation is that it is secondary and the courts can invalidate its enforceability if necessary.

- Ultra Vires (beyond a decision-makers power). A piece of delegated legislation which unlawfully derives its authority from its Parent Act (e.g outside of the scope Parliament provided) is not enforceable and is liable to be deemed so.

Hope this briefly helps
Aidan
Last edited by Arkansas; 4 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (592)
34.06%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.43%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
19.97%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed