I don’t like my uni and I’m scared of going back

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’ve enjoyed the lockdown and the thought of returning to uni in the autumn is giving me major anxiety.I study a degree that was very competitive to get onto so I’m very fortunate but my uni experience has been very depressing and left me really unhappy.I don’t know what to do.I don’t want to leave university because I love my degree however I hate the whole living away and the friends I’ve made I don’t click with leaving me with a very boring summer.

I’m a female so please don’t refer to me as he lol
TigerRoll
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
1) Do you mean you're homesick?

2) First year friends aren't always friends you'll have for your whole time at university. By my final year of university I wasn't good friends with anyone I was friends with when I started. Most of my friends were from my course (but a different group by the end) and from societies.

If you love your course, I'd suggest seeing what it is you can change before considering quiting.
remussjhj01
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you really dislike it, then I would move unis. If you're going into 2nd year, you should be able to apply for 2nd year entry on most courses. If you're going into third year, you'll probably have fewer options, but there should still be a couple.
Don't jump into leaving, and don't leave until you've got a secured uni place somewhere else. Make sure you do the research into any new unis and do your best to make sure you'll be happy there, as you're unlikely to be able to move again.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by TigerRoll)
1) Do you mean you're homesick?

2) First year friends aren't always friends you'll have for your whole time at university. By my final year of university I wasn't good friends with anyone I was friends with when I started. Most of my friends were from my course (but a different group by the end) and from societies.

If you love your course, I'd suggest seeing what it is you can change before considering quiting.
Yes I get homesick and I don’t like my uni at all.I love my course but I don’t really hang out with my uni friends out of uni semesters leaving me with a very depressing summer especially with the situation now

Yh hopefully I will try and attend more societies
Anonymous #1
(Original post by remussjhj01)
If you really dislike it, then I would move unis. If you're going into 2nd year, you should be able to apply for 2nd year entry on most courses. If you're going into third year, you'll probably have fewer options, but there should still be a couple.
Don't jump into leaving, and don't leave until you've got a secured uni place somewhere else. Make sure you do the research into any new unis and do your best to make sure you'll be happy there, as you're unlikely to be able to move again.
My course doesn’t allow transfers so I’m stuck 😂 it’s just adapting with the situation I have and making it better that’s the issue
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by remussjhj01)
bruh there's like 3 days left till the transfer deadline anyway
remussjhj01
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
bruh there's like 3 days left till the transfer deadline anyway
They could get an application together within 3 days. If they get offers, they're not obliged to take them, so it doesn't particularly matter either way.
TigerRoll
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes I get homesick and I don’t like my uni at all.I love my course but I don’t really hang out with my uni friends out of uni semesters leaving me with a very depressing summer especially with the situation now

It's probably more of an issue of finding better friends.

Can you visit home more often?
username5306262
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My course doesn’t allow transfers so I’m stuck 😂 it’s just adapting with the situation I have and making it better that’s the issue
could I ask where you study? Or you could PM me ... I really struggled at first too ... I was at Oxford and really hated it at first!
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
But equally it is stepping out of your comfort zone. You cannot spend the rest of your life hiding behind this homesick scenario. The world is your oyster - post covid - so stride out,. The plus is you love your course. Do you really want to be tied to your home town for the rest of your life....
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It’s sort of good practice for moving towns for jobs.
What hobbies are you into? Could you get involved in more work related hobbies (I am law so we have lots of pro bono work opportunities) or something like guides or sports in the local community if the university doesn’t do it. Or maybe Stiff like student paper. Whatever gets you through the terms. Part time job at local shop or bar or library?
MythologyFanatic
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don't see 'not having uni friends' as a reason to change universities. Your course is competitive and you got accepted - why would you throw away that opportunity? You can make friends at the library, in clubs and societies, online...basically anywhere. Also, if you go to a city university, you will find someone to hang out with. Making friends just takes giving people a couple compliments in the midst of a conversation, which you start up, and then asking to hang out. If they say no, oh well. If they say okay, great, you're sorted. If you can't find anyone - hanging out by yourself isn't awful either. After covid, it'll probably become even more socially acceptable to be on your own and not want to talk to people.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Would it be possible to live at home and commute to university? The only issue with that is you might end up hanging out with people even less....
Anonymous #1
(Original post by TigerRoll)
It's probably more of an issue of finding better friends.

Can you visit home more often?
Yh that’s the issue
Anonymous #1
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
Would it be possible to live at home and commute to university? The only issue with that is you might end up hanging out with people even less....
I think that will make it worse tbh but I used to do that a lot
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think that will make it worse tbh but I used to do that a lot
Maybe that's why you didn't make friends, because you weren't there often enough to form solid friendships. A friend of mine went home every weekend, and then complained because she was always left out of things (because spontaneous hang outs would happen while she was at home).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (83)
18.74%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (90)
20.32%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (84)
18.96%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (96)
21.67%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (44)
9.93%
I haven't started researching yet (46)
10.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise