Should pepper spray be legalised in the UK?

Watch
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Should non-lethal or 'less-lethal' weapons such as pepper spray and tazors be legalised for the purpose of self defence in the UK?
Last edited by glassalice; 5 days ago
Advertisement
TCA2b
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Yep!
TheStarboy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Yes. Better than nothing and it's bound to cause less controversy.
Advertisement
MedicWil
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
No, if they were legalised then criminals would just use them to rob or burgle more people
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
They're not even legal in warzones lol, the fact they're considered legal and appropriate for use by police forces on civilians is bizarre to begin with. Why would you then want even MORE people to be able to use them???
Advertisement
physicsamor
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I'd use them to pepper spray all my colleagues so we wouldn't have to open during a pandemic
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
No.
I believe that handguns and most firearms should be legal in Britain for adults with no criminal records or mental health issues.
I don't believe that pepper spray or any type of tasers should be legal for anyone including the police, intelligence operatives or the military.
Advertisement
LovelyMrFox
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Pepper spray, yes.
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by TheStarboy)
Pepper spray and tasers are often the cause of more controversy than guns or knives.
A 4 year old girl who went to the same primary school as me died in the playground after being tasered by an older child who had brought in an illegal disguised device.
I have met rape survivors who ended up in intensive care on a ventilator a few hours after being incapacitated with pepper spray.
I'd prefer nothing if the alternatives had to be tasers or pepper spray.
Advertisement
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
No, imagine being mugged and pepper sprayed at the same time.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
No.
I believe that handguns and most firearms should be legal in Britain for adults with no criminal records or mental health issues.
I don't believe that pepper spray or any type of tasers should be legal for anyone including the police, intelligence operatives or the military.
So you support lethal weapons but not less lethal?

Please explain that logic.
Advertisement
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
So you support lethal weapons but not less lethal?

Please explain that logic.
My opinions on guns are controversial and not shared by most people in Britain or the usa.

I was shown how to handle semiautomatic and automatic firearms before I was 15.
I was trained how to fire a gun loaded with bullets capable of killing at 4 by a businessman whose three daughters travelled to school in England with bodyguards.
All three of them now have licenced firearms with the aim of defending themselves from terrorists, sexual predators or felons for hire.

I keep legal guns in my home for the purpose of encouraging unwanted visitors who I avoid like the plague to keep out of my home and as a means of protecting myself from trespassing intruders.
I have found the deterrent to be highly effective, particularly in relation to NRA obsessed american exes who have used their guns to kill in the usa.

Almost every sane adult and child over 11 years old is aware that guns can be used to inflict either death or life changing injury.
Very few people that have ever handled a loaded gun, seen someone that they know handle a loaded gun or seen the reaction that suddenly pointing a gun at an unarmed person with hostile body language generates from the targeted individual- will dispute the fact that guns are dangerous.
But many people do not realise that tazors or pepper spray are both capable of inflicting life changing injury and death.
YaliaV
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I don’t think so.
Advertisement
Jesscruzx
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
No uk is as bad as it is without them , are we Tryna make the uk a BTEC America💀
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
My opinions on guns are controversial and not shared by most people in Britain or the usa.

I was shown how to handle semiautomatic and automatic firearms before I was 15.
I was trained how to fire a gun loaded with bullets capable of killing at 4 by a businessman whose three daughters travelled to school in England with bodyguards.
All three of them now have licenced firearms with the aim of defending themselves from terrorists, sexual predators or felons for hire.

I keep legal guns in my home for the purpose of encouraging unwanted visitors who I avoid like the plague to keep out of my home and as a means of protecting myself from trespassing intruders.
I have found the deterrent to be highly effective, particularly in relation to NRA obsessed american exes who have used their guns to kill in the usa.

Almost every sane adult and child over 11 years old is aware that guns can be used to inflict either death or life changing injury.
Very few people that have ever handled a loaded gun, seen someone that they know handle a loaded gun or seen the reaction that suddenly pointing a gun at an unarmed person with hostile body language generates from the targeted individual- will dispute the fact that guns are dangerous.
But many people do not realise that tazors or pepper spray are both capable of inflicting life changing injury and death.
I am by no means anti gun. I was taught at school to shoot and became competition rifle, pistol and clay shooter before the age of 13. I very much enjoy firearms.

However I don't trust the vast majority of the UK to be able to use firearms appropriately or safely, I would barely trust a lot of them with a bottle opener.

Don't you live in London? How did you manage to blag presumably a shotgun license considering you have just admitted your reasons for having a firearm is highly illegal?

That doesn't quite explain why you prefer people to be armed with weapons that are guaranteed to cause severe injury while banned those with a far lower chance of causing severe injury.
RJDG14
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I'm not sure whether or not legalising it would be a good idea, although I feel it should certainly be classified as a lesser form of offensive weapon with lighter penalties than that of a knife or firearm, as it's very rarely lethal.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Can't really see any particular benefit, on balance, of this to be honest..
Advertisement
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by TheStarboy)
I don't know, when the inevitable tales of strapping young muggers electrocuting and macing their victims start rolling around...
TheStarboy
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Napp)
I don't know, when the inevitable tales of strapping young muggers electrocuting and macing their victims start rolling around...
It's a two-way thing. Maybe being able to have a license to use a taser should be necessary.
Fermion.
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Well, a pepper spray would've came in handy when I got mugged in broad daylight. Not sure about the legalities of it though. Bit of a contraversial topic.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (46)
20.35%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (51)
22.57%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (43)
19.03%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (46)
20.35%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (22)
9.73%
I haven't started researching yet (18)
7.96%

Watched Threads