kelss16x
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I'm currently in the process of applying to university, I want to become a neonatal Nurse and wanted to check which course I should be doing for it. I've read so many different things online, it's confusing.

I'm think of applying to child nursing but I'm unsure if this is enough to get me a job as a neonatal Nurse. Can anyone give me some insite please.
Tracey1995
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by kelss16x)
Hi, I'm currently in the process of applying to university, I want to become a neonatal Nurse and wanted to check which course I should be doing for it. I've read so many different things online, it's confusing.

I'm think of applying to child nursing but I'm unsure if this is enough to get me a job as a neonatal Nurse. Can anyone give me some insite please.
You may need to be registered as a Midwife, Adult Nurse or Child nurse to apply for a job a a Neonatal nurse and some hospitals / employers may ask for experience in breastfeeding, handling of bereavements or other areas in this .
Perhaps Midwifing maybe a choice to do as student as this way you will certainly experience in bereavements and breastfeeding as part of your training but at the end of the day its your choice which you chose to do okay.
I think you need to be registered as RN with a 4 year bachelor of science degree (BSN) .

Look at the options available to allow you to become a neonatal nurse okay .
Once you about to qualify you need to start applying for jobs position in the specific field you wanting to do and then do any follow up training required .
Emily_B
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Tracey1995 is right, you can go into neonatal nursing as a midwife, adult nurse or children's nurse - however you're significantly more likely to get a neonatal placement as a children's nurse than adult (not sure about midwifery).
4 year nursing BSc/BNs are Scotland (can qualify after 3 but 4th is the "honours" year) - you can do this in 3 in England/Wales. Some places will take newly qualified nurses onto neonatal units, others will require experience first and it all depends on the trust.
Basically, a Children's Nursing degree will be absolutely fine, however just check when applying for jobs in neonatal units if they require experience!
Tracey1995
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Emily_B)
Tracey1995 is right, you can go into neonatal nursing as a midwife, adult nurse or children's nurse - however you're significantly more likely to get a neonatal placement as a children's nurse than adult (not sure about midwifery).
4 year nursing BSc/BNs are Scotland (can qualify after 3 but 4th is the "honours" year) - you can do this in 3 in England/Wales. Some places will take newly qualified nurses onto neonatal units, others will require experience first and it all depends on the trust.
Basically, a Children's Nursing degree will be absolutely fine, however just check when applying for jobs in neonatal units if they require experience!
Hi Emily_B

All I know is that you can be a neonatal nurse as a qualified adult nurse, midwife or children's nurse once you qualify in one of those . And 4 years bachelor's degree as you said England courses are less than in Scotland.

You right on experience with some trusts and others none .
Most trusts are asking for minimum of 6 months of experience with neonatal and you already working within the field to.

Tracey x
katieelizabeth30
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Hello,
I am currently on the same path and want to be a neonatal nurse and got into a university for a September 2020 start. I was confused however when i looked into it with the universities a rep told me that a midwife goes the full term of the pregnancy until the baby is born. Once that baby is born it is then the responsibility of neonatal etc...
Please go digging deeper but that was the advice i was given.. hope this helps and good luck in the future. :-)
Tracey1995
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by katieelizabeth30)
Hello,
I am currently on the same path and want to be a neonatal nurse and got into a university for a September 2020 start. I was confused however when i looked into it with the universities a rep told me that a midwife goes the full term of the pregnancy until the baby is born. Once that baby is born it is then the responsibility of neonatal etc...
Please go digging deeper but that was the advice i was given.. hope this helps and good luck in the future. :-)
Role of neonatal nurses are looking after premature babies and are born very sick plus other roles as well.
As with midwife they look after the woman throughout labour and birth and if no complications they look after them untill they leave hospital and the health visitors / community midwifes will look after them for first month of the birth .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.55%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.13%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.1%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.13%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (77)
28.62%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.47%

Watched Threads