Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My history teacher told me that AS history is ten times easier than GCSE, because it is basically all essay based whereas GCSE was also about evaluating and interpreting sources.

Can AS be easier than GCSE? :confused:

Im taking history at A-level, and want to know how difficult it will be compared to GCSE. Obviously im expecting to have to write in more detail, but im assuming that the exam questions are fairly similar.

He also said that A2 is ten times harder than GCSE and AS, which I expected :rolleyes:

One more thing, how different is A-level English literature and Biology to GCSE? I know we've had threads about this, but im asking how different it is in terms of workload.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on OCR, I thought it was harder...

ReputationRep:
    My brother says the course for AS is completely different in the way you write essays, but much harder!
    (I'm taking it next year, so hopefully I can cope...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyjane_09)
    My brother says the course for AS is completely different in the way you write essays, but much harder!
    (I'm taking it next year, so hopefully I can cope...)
    I would agree with that roughly, but I can only speak for my board. From what I've seen the layout of questions and stuff seems completely different for each board.

ReputationRep:
    Well, you don't have small questions to trip you up at A level.

ReputationRep:
    uhhh... no. there was a source paper in my history AS worth a third of the marks, and it was a hell of a lot harder than the so-called analysis needed for GCSE. the essay questions are also very difficult because you have to go about them in exactly the right sort of way and have all the knowledge to back up your points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    I think thats what my teacher meant.

However, im looking at a practise AS paper:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/qp...W-QP-JUN07.PDF

it looks similar, if not identical to the GCSE papers in terms of the type of questions they ask and the marks they offer for each question.

ReputationRep:
    I found it easier at AS, however i did get a B grade, because i messed up on the source paper. It's all about technique, if you can master that then i think you're in for a good grade

ReputationRep:
    Your teacher is full of crap.

ReputationRep:
    I was on the AQA course and I did actually find ti easier simply because I found the subject more interesting and with A-Levels you dont have to worry about those subjects you dont like i.e. physics etc in my case. I personally find writing the essays easier although remember there is greater depth of knowledge needed and this is where the course gets harder than GCSE. Frankly though if you enjoy history and find the topic interesting then you should be ok

Tony

ReputationRep:
    If your analysis and essay writing abilities continue to progress at an average rate, you should find them equally difficult at the time you do them. In essence the AS is harder, you cover more information, have to be able to remember more facts whilst writing a better quality essay that at GCSE. And the source papers were a bugger to get the hang of, a couple of my friends who should have been getting high As got Ds on their first attempt because they didn't get the style sorted quick enough. It probably partly depends how you're taught it, your teacher might have discovered an awesome way of teaching that does make it really easy - but I imagine that's unlikely.

(I did AQA for both GCSE and A level...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audrey Hepburn)
    Your teacher is full of crap.
    This.

You have to learn a lot more information at A-level compared to GCSE, and understand it to a much greater level of depth. Meanwhile in the actual A-level History exams you will have to perform at a way higher standard then GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    I found history to be very different at AS, so it's quite hard to compare it with my experience of the subject at GCSE. I've found that the essays have to be a lot more in-depth and wide-ranging with as many relevant points as possible covered, explained and linked back the question - but this is just building on the skills developed at GCSE, so I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine with it The hardest thing about it is developing the right kind of writing style and using the right approach to answer questions; there's scope to be a lot more critical/analytical, but you'll be taught all these things, so there's really nothing to worry about as long as you enjoy the subject! I think it depends on what exam board you're with as to whether or not there's a source paper involved - I'm on Edexcel and there was a whole module based on source work! But again, you'll be taught everything that's relevant to whatever specification you're doing, so you'll have all the knowledge/skills required. The questions are very similar to GCSE - they just require more independent thought and greater explanation!

As for English Lit - it's almost exactly the same as GCSE, which I love about it, but the main difference is that the analysis is a lot more complex and you have to consider lots of factors such as social/political/historical contexts. Although you're doing the same kind of thing - studying novels/plays/poems - you're looking at them from lots of different perspectives and developing your own opinions to a greater extent than required at GCSE. In terms of workload, you'll probably be required to write quite a lot of essays and be prepared to do some reading in your own time, but I haven't found it too bad, so I'm sure it'll be manageable!

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    Do in AQA.

The source questions are harder at A Level and take a lot more background knowledge etc.

I don't know about difficulty, but I enjoyed AS History a lot more than GCSE.

This might have been down to course though (We did Medicine and American West at GCSE. Whereas we did 1929-51 Britain and Tsarist and Revolutionary Russia at AS)

ReputationRep:
    It depends what board you are doing I guess, but from my OCR experience, AS Level was definitely harder. You have to develop a better essay writing technique to get the top marks and there is a source based paper worth 120 marks. I wouldn't listen to him. It is hard, but if you are capable you should have no difficulties.

ReputationRep:
    I found it harder at AS level, at least it was on Edexcel. Essays had to be more analytical and evaluative and there was still a source paper, which in both AS and A2 years is weighted at 120 marks.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.