Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    These thoughts are due to when I go out with family like to a wedding (yesterday)

I know some people who have large groups of friends so it's hard to gauge who is real, especially when they only engage in the normal chit chat that goes on...
    I see receptionists that ignore people (me) when I go into explanation (yesterday) about why I couldnt remember the password, she just stared at her computer.

Question:
    How do we know who's genuine or not? and I mean with strangers more than anything...people you meet for 5 minutes having eye contact and speaking at counters or receptions...I suppose most of you may not engage in talking much...I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    You have to know someone as a person to be able to decide if they are genuine.

I don't understand people who hang around in groups of 30 - 50 people who they barely know, yet call 'good mates'.

My friendship group consists of about 10 people who I know inside out - I know I can trust them with anything and I know they are genuine when talking to me.

ReputationRep:
    WHy would most of us not engage in talking much :P:

At any rate, at service desks it's part of their job to be friendly and welcoming, and you're most likely never going to get personal with them. But having a friendly face is nice, and helps them attract more customers....

As for strangers on the street, some people are just nice, others are just creepy.

ReputationRep:
    As tod100 said you have to know someone to be able to tell if they're genuine.

Strangers are the people you don't know the intentions of. Though usually you can sort of tell if they are a nice person or not by their smile and eye contact.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the reason I ask is I get stressed or depresssed outside thinking people aren't nice, it only happens when I bump into a not so nice one, it's the subtle thing like when you carry on the convo, I.E Explaining why I keep forgetting this computer passweord at this place I stayed for the day, she just didnt respond when I explained she just stared at the comp...
    So either she didnt notice me after I asked...MAybe she thought I went off or something or she thought I was overly excited and laughing because I was embarassed that she didnt want to hear my explanation
    but it happens with others every now and then...

ReputationRep:
    Maybe she just felt understandable awkward being faced with an onslaught of the most sociopathic character on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    People being off with you isnt a sign that they're not nice, just how they're feeling. Does it really matter if under the chit chat is nothing? Take things in the spirit in which they are given, dont expect too much from most people.

ReputationRep:
    Many people I know would use the word "nice" when describing me. I like to be nice to others because I think we should treat others how we would like to be treated ourselves.

Obviously there are some who pretend to be nice to try and get something but their true colours start to show after awhile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flyingaround)
    Yeah, the reason I ask is I get stressed or depresssed outside thinking people aren't nice, it only happens when I bump into a not so nice one, it's the subtle thing like when you carry on the convo, I.E Explaining why I keep forgetting this computer passweord at this place I stayed for the day, she just didnt respond when I explained she just stared at the comp...
    So either she didnt notice me after I asked...MAybe she thought I went off or something or she thought I was overly excited and laughing because I was embarassed that she didnt want to hear my explanation
    but it happens with others every now and then...
    It wasn't that she didn't notice you, she was just trying her best to avoid you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 24, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.