Help! What books should I choose for comparison coursework

Watch
Eb2003
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey, I’m struggling to choose novels for my a levels, I have enjoyed reading “we need to talk about Kevin” by Lionel Shriver but am struggling to find books that I can compare with it ! I also enjoy reading books about prejudice if you have any ideas! Thank you
becausethenight
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What themes do you want to discuss in "We need to talk about Kevin"? For example, if you wanted to talk about women and violence, Macbeth could be an interesting choice!
Eb2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by becausethenight)
What themes do you want to discuss in "We need to talk about Kevin"? For example, if you wanted to talk about women and violence, Macbeth could be an interesting choice!
i'd like to possibly talk about nature vs nurture, or even the position of women and pressure they face - how they aren't believed or taken seriously. Thanks for replying, what themes would the be in Macbeth , as I am unfamiliar with the play!
becausethenight
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Eb2003)
i'd like to possibly talk about nature vs nurture, or even the position of women and pressure they face - how they aren't believed or taken seriously. Thanks for replying, what themes would the be in Macbeth , as I am unfamiliar with the play!
Those would be really interesting things to talk about. A Macbeth plot summary is here https://www.sparknotes.com/shakespeare/macbeth/summary/, and what might be interesting is talking about the role of women in developing cruelty/violence (does Lady Macbeth instigate Duncan's murder by "talking Macbeth into it"? How much is she responsible? versus the idea of the mother causing Kevin's violence by being a "bad mother" - Macbeth also has themes of motherhood) and responsibility more generally (Macbeth doesn't necessarily discuss nature vs nurture, but fate plays a big part in it, and Shakespeare is also questioning how much agency his characters have)

Other texts you might find interesting are Lord of the Flies, Frankenstein (nature vs nurture) or The Bell Jar or Rebecca (role of women)
rubytinker01
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I would highly recommend taking a look at Native Son by Richard Wright, particularly if you wanted to go round the Nature vs Nurture route. Idk if you're familiar with the book but, like WNTTAK it explores criminal actions and how responsible the individual is for these vs their environment. I just finished my english lit a level and studied this book. It's quite long but I loved it and it does appear a perfect fit!
vicvic38
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey, I’m struggling to choose novels for my a levels, I have enjoyed reading “we need to talk about Kevin” by Lionel Shriver but am struggling to find books that I can compare with it ! I also enjoy reading books about prejudice if you have any ideas! Thank you
Is this the coursework where you need 2 post 1900 and 1 post 2000? Wouldn't it have to be a play or a poem?
Eb2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by rubytinker01)
I would highly recommend taking a look at Native Son by Richard Wright, particularly if you wanted to go round the Nature vs Nurture route. Idk if you're familiar with the book but, like WNTTAK it explores criminal actions and how responsible the individual is for these vs their environment. I just finished my english lit a level and studied this book. It's quite long but I loved it and it does appear a perfect fit!
Thanks so much for your input, this seems like a fab choice especially due to the differences culturally and economically! Could I ask, what novel did you do alongside this ?
Eb2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by vicvic38)
Is this the coursework where you need 2 post 1900 and 1 post 2000? Wouldn't it have to be a play or a poem?
I don't think so, we can choose any two books to compare from any period
vicvic38
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don't think so, we can choose any two books to compare from any period
Oh right, ok. I know someone did A Streetcar Named Desire with that book. It might also be interesting to compare it to something like the Bell Jar, or another feminist text.
rubytinker01
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Thanks so much for your input, this seems like a fab choice especially due to the differences culturally and economically! Could I ask, what novel did you do alongside this ?
I actually compared The Great Gatsby and Grapes of Wrath, I just studied Native Son as extra reading to contextualise American lit for that period. I do have a pp I made with a general synopsis and analysis of key themes and devices for Native Son if you'd be interested though? May help give you an idea if its for you?
Eb2003
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by rubytinker01)
I actually compared The Great Gatsby and Grapes of Wrath, I just studied Native Son as extra reading to contextualise American lit for that period. I do have a pp I made with a general synopsis and analysis of key themes and devices for Native Son if you'd be interested though? May help give you an idea if its for you?
That would be fab if you don’t mind !! Xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (76)
18.58%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (82)
20.05%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (78)
19.07%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (90)
22%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (41)
10.02%
I haven't started researching yet (42)
10.27%

Watched Threads