The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Extramural Year In Biosciences KCL, Help?!

Hi, can anyone who has done an EMY tell me how they got one? What did your application look like, did you have any extracurriculars? Due to covid my plan to get placements for extracurricular in the summer isn’t looking too great... I’m not sure what to do! Also, I’d like to know how much you get payed and what the work is like day to day. I’m at KCL and I’m sure I remember the person in charge of EMY placements at the talk said most students go onto a phd after, is that true? Thank you! :smile:
Same scenario as you. I'm not sure which degree ur in, mine's Biomed. I've been reaching out to seniors trying to get a sense of what EMY is like and how competitive it makes you in the job market.

If ur interested, we could dm each other to discuss in detail. Also my personal tutor is the PIC for the EMY programme so I've been spamming questions at him since March lol.
(edited 3 years ago)
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by andrewkcleeuc
Same scenario as you. I'm not sure which degree ur in, mine's Biomed. I've been reaching out to seniors trying to get a sense of what EMY is like and how competitive it makes you in the job market.

If ur interested, we could dm each other to discuss in detail. Also my personal tutor is the PIC for the EMY programme so I've been spamming questions at him since March lol.

Absolutely! I’m studying neuroscience, I sent him an email too about a month ago and the response was vague (that we would be emailed more information in the following weeks) and when that email came it was also vague? Even the whole application process is confusing. But yeah, dm me I’m happy to discuss :smile:
Reply 3
3rd year at King's here! Off the top of my head, I know 6 people who did an EMY. Only two are going to do PhDs the rest are doing various things post uni ranging from trying to get into consulting to medicine. I would suggest looking on LinkedIn and searching for kings emy and you should be able to find someone. I would defo say if you are looking to apply for PhDs it would make you stand out but it is not a disadvantage if you do it - what do you have to lose?
On the note of competitiveness, it really depends on the placement. Paid ones are competitive (with deadlines as early as October) but there are an abundance of unpaid ones
Reply 4
Also I think you got a bit mixed up, the guy said that everyone who got a bioscience PhD did an EMY but that doesn't say anything about what all EMY people do iygm
Reply 5
Original post by Milo2255555
Hi, can anyone who has done an EMY tell me how they got one? What did your application look like, did you have any extracurriculars? Due to covid my plan to get placements for extracurricular in the summer isn’t looking too great... I’m not sure what to do! Also, I’d like to know how much you get payed and what the work is like day to day. I’m at KCL and I’m sure I remember the person in charge of EMY placements at the talk said most students go onto a phd after, is that true? Thank you! :smile:

Hi! I'm currently in my second year of Biochem at KCL and have the same queries regarding the EMY application and process. Could I dm you about it?

Quick Reply

Latest