anonymousbabyx
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hey so I've seen many people saying, 'All lives matter'
As all lives DO matter, the BLM movement is a thing because they are being degraded around the world and there is white privilege.
I think these ALM people are confused and think the BLM means ONLY black lives matter. Think of it this way. Say there are two houses, one of these houses are on fire and are beginning to burn down. Which house do you put water on? The house burning down. Yes every single individual life matters, however BLACK LIVES matter more at this time. We are trying to make them equal with everybody else, every other race, ethnicity. Racism upon blacks is disgusting and must be stopped. The way you look does NOT define you as a person. Stereotypes should not be a thing. We are focusing on making their lives equal, because they are. I hope this made sense.
vicvic38
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Sorry you're just too rational to be on TSR. When ALM people open their traps to say "All LIves MATTeR" They really mean 'my life matters'
anonymousbabyx
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by vicvic38)
Sorry you're just too rational to be on TSR. When ALM people open their traps to say "All LIves MATTeR" They really mean 'my life matters'
lol sorry im not usually like this its just i saw a fourm on here that p***ed me off
coololoolo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I think this is a bit unfair. BLM is important but there are still various other groups of people who are mistreated in this world and I believe ALM stands for that. ALM says that all life is valuable no matter who you are and BLM is specifically for mistreating of black people. I don't believe neither are bad and somebody (1 being me) can believe in both.

Maybe some ALM people exist out there that believe in ALM to feel victimized and special but I think the same goes for practically any groups that want to counter injustice, prejudice etc or possibly just to feel as a part of a community with shared views whether the individual truly believes in the communities general view or not on whatever issue. There are also those who support ALM as a counter to BLM just to weaken their message which I think is wrong. I think both groups should work hand in hand with one being overall all human life and black people being a subsection.

I do think white privilege does exist in the world and black people can and sometimes are treated poorly based on their race in comparison to white people and that is what the BLM is there for: to counter it. Black people are degraded in some parts of the world but you should not forget asians, latino, some white minority communities in Africa who stayed after the colony leaders left the area, west Asian white (or Asian people) are being killed based on their identity such as yazidis, kurds etc and are being controlled to not speak their own language or practice their religion and so on or they will face persecution. They rape their women, bomb their soldiers, execute their children in front of their mothers. Whether it is IS, Turkey or whomever. There is a lot of injustice in this world and I believe that it is unfair to stop at just black people.

My family is from Turkish Kurdistan and my grandparents are from Iranian Kurdistan and I am pretty white yet I can still be mistreated by these countries or their people who are everywhere in the world. An example can be that when me and my dad were leaving the Kurdish community center in Haringey, some turks were yelling at us when we were in our car and trying to throw a bottle at our car.

I don't think it is instantly evil to say ALM but instead if you try to argue ALM but treat black people as some exception.
#alllivesmatter #blacklivesmatter
username5329182
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I agree with everything except one thing OP said. As a black myself I don't believe that BLM means "Black Lives matter more at this time" than others. I believe that the reason why we say BLM instead of ALM- what we mean is Black lives matter AS MUCH as all lives. Right now, with all the racism and discrimination, we believe that we are not being treated equally as other lives. So through the BLM movement we are campaigning to matter as much as all other lives.
Last edited by username5329182; 5 days ago
coololoolo
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by KatsukiBakuHoe)
I agree with everything except one thing OP said. As a black myself I don't believe that BLM means "Black Lives matter more at this time" than others. I believe that the reason why we say BLM instead of ALM- what we mean is Black lives matter AS MUCH as all lives. Right now, with all the racism and discrimination, we believe that we are not being treated equally as other lives. So through the BLM movement we are campaigning to matter as much as all other lives.
plz comment on my view too thanks. I understand and respect your opinion on why BLM is important and why the movement exists but I still believe ALM is an important movement too. I think both should work hand in hand rather than them burning each other when both are important.
username5329182
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by coololoolo)
plz comment on my view too thanks. I understand and respect your opinion on why BLM is important and why the movement exists but I still believe ALM is an important movement too. I think both should work hand in hand rather than them burning each other when both are important.
I agree too. All lives DO matter so we shod strive to make sure that all lives aren't being oppressed/discriminated. Such as people in The people in Syria/Israel or Palestine/Black people etc
Claydo66
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
All lives matter is not exclusive of black lives matter.
And black people are not the only minority group that are “degraded” so imo all lives matter is a better phrase.
It’s like how I rather call myself an equalitarian rather than a feminist because there is less exclusivity attached to the phrase.
coololoolo
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Claydo66)
All lives matter is not exclusive of black lives matter.
And black people are not the only minority group that are “degraded” so imo all lives matter is a better phrase.
It’s like how I rather call myself an equalitarian rather than a feminist because there is less exclusivity attached to the phrase.
I think both should exist with BLM as a subsection of ALM in that they can have their seperate marches on occasion for when really bad things happen but I should be able to hold a ALM sign and with some event relating to black people, free tibet etc.

I myself have never heard of the phrase equalitarian before but I think I may be that as I would rather not identify as a feminist but rather as someone who believes in equal rights which includes those of different sex/gender.
Nabu123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I think this is a bit unfair. BLM is important but there are still various other groups of people who are mistreated in this world and I believe ALM stands for that. ALM says that all life is valuable no matter who you are and BLM is specifically for mistreating of black people. I don't believe neither are bad and somebody (1 being me) can believe in both.

Maybe some ALM people exist out there that believe in ALM to feel victimized and special but I think the same goes for practically any groups that want to counter injustice, prejudice etc or possibly just to feel as a part of a community with shared views whether the individual truly believes in the communities general view or not on whatever issue. There are also those who support ALM as a counter to BLM just to weaken their message which I think is wrong. I think both groups should work hand in hand with one being overall all human life and black people being a subsection.

I do think white privilege does exist in the world and black people can and sometimes are treated poorly based on their race in comparison to white people and that is what the BLM is there for: to counter it. Black people are degraded in some parts of the world but you should not forget asians, latino, some white minority communities in Africa who stayed after the colony leaders left the area, west Asian white (or Asian people) are being killed based on their identity such as yazidis, kurds etc and are being controlled to not speak their own language or practice their religion and so on or they will face persecution. They rape their women, bomb their soldiers, execute their children in front of their mothers. Whether it is IS, Turkey or whomever. There is a lot of injustice in this world and I believe that it is unfair to stop at just black people.

My family is from Turkish Kurdistan and my grandparents are from Iranian Kurdistan and I am pretty white yet I can still be mistreated by these countries or their people who are everywhere in the world. An example can be that when me and my dad were leaving the Kurdish community center in Haringey, some turks were yelling at us when we were in our car and trying to throw a bottle at our car.

I don't think it is instantly evil to say ALM but instead if you try to argue ALM but treat black people as some exception.
#alllivesmatter #blacklivesmatter
That's like saying we shouldnt have childline cause it doesnt help adults. Different organisations focus on different struggles
coololoolo
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Nabu123)
That's like saying we shouldnt have childline cause it doesnt help adults. Different organisations focus on different struggles
Alright man. I clearly said multiple times both should exist but ok. ALM focuses on a whole and can go from one issue to another world issue and I think that is a good thing. It is an all encompassing value of life and that should exist and not be shut down just because it doesn't focus on one specific genre or problem. I understand your view but the way of what you described my views aren't my views.
Nabu123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Alright man. I clearly said multiple times both should exist but ok. ALM focuses on a whole and can go from one issue to another world issue and I think that is a good thing. It is an all encompassing value of life and that should exist and not be shut down just because it doesn't focus on one specific genre or problem. I understand your view but the way of what you described my views aren't my views.
The thing is ALM was created to undermine BLM. It wasnt created out of love, but spite, right after BLM started to become popular. Can u tell me what goals ALM actually has to help people across the world. To me it seems likd some racistz didnt like the idea of racial equality so created ALM as a way to make fun of BLM and undermine it. These people know what there doing
coololoolo
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Nabu123)
The thing is ALM was created to undermine BLM. It wasnt created out of love, but spite, right after BLM started to become popular. Can u tell me what goals ALM actually has to help people across the world. To me it seems likd some racistz didnt like the idea of racial equality so created ALM as a way to make fun of BLM and undermine it. These people know what there doing
I did mention in my original statement that there are those in ALM that wanted to become a part of it to make fun of/undermine BLM but ok. ALM values all life but maybe I am wrong and the entire movement was created just to spite black people. If you couldn't tell, I was being sarcastic. I have spent far too much of my life on online forums and have gained views I never thought I would ever side with but I don't think this is one of those occasions.

edit: Agree to disagree?
Last edited by coololoolo; 4 days ago
tazarooni89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by anonymousbabyx)
I think these ALM people are confused and think the BLM means ONLY black lives matter. Think of it this way. Say there are two houses, one of these houses are on fire and are beginning to burn down. Which house do you put water on? The house burning down. Yes every single individual life matters, however BLACK LIVES matter more at this time.
But it’s not just the black man’s house which on fire. The Palestinian’s house is on fire too. The Rohingya house is on fire too. The Uighur house is also on fire. And so are many others. All these other groups have been experiencing anything from racism to flat out ethnic cleansing and genocide, to the point where it often seems like unsurprising, old news.

During the same week that George Floyd died, a very similar incident took place between an Israeli police officer and an, innocent, autistic and afraid Palestinian man called Iyad Halak, who ended up getting shot dead. Is his house not on fire? Does he not deserve a large scale protest? Or does his death touch our nerves less because it happened in the Middle East, not in the USA? Does it feel more like someone else’s problem than our own? Be honest.

The point of BLM is to say that black people matter just as much as white people and everyone else. We shouldn’t be tribal and consider them to not be “one of us” just because of differences in skin colour or geographic origin. We should consider them to be part of the brotherhood of humanity just like everyone else. And it’s a great thing. It has shown we can do a fantastic job of protesting en masse, raising awareness, and pressuring governments and corporations and each other to actually make a change.

But it’s very ironic if we support this so strongly, whilst exhibiting the same lack of inclusivity to people who are suffering racism, death and suffering every day just because they happen to be in a part of the world that we don’t consider to be culturally similar to ours, or where we consider racism and genocide to be old news. This can manifest itself either in mere indifference (are you going to go out and protest Iyad Halak’s death now that you know about it?) or in outright antagonism (e.g. barring entry to refugees from war torn countries that we’ve had a hand in destroying from seeking asylum in our country, because our creature comforts matter more to us than their lives). Someone needs to remind us all of this too.
username5322498
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by tazarooni89)
It has to be noted that majority of all lives matter rhetoric is coming from people who are trying to shut down the protests, not people who want to shine light on the plight of different groups across the globe. Also it took sometime to cross over from the US into UK, France, The Netherlands etc. It's not inconceivable that it might be a truly global issue at the end. BLM UK was actually getting criticised in the media yesterday for their comments supporting Palestinians. Also if I'm being honest, majority of people in the West are going to think far more locally Western. I mean look at your examples -- they are all Muslims because you're Muslim yourself.
tazarooni89
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by ScrLk0)
It has to be noted that majority of all lives matter rhetoric is coming from people who are trying to shut down the protests, not people who want to shine light on the plight of different groups across the globe.
What makes you say that?

Also if I'm being honest, majority of people in the West are going to think far more locally Western. I mean look at your examples -- they are all Muslims because you're Muslim yourself.
I completely agree. The fact that I am Muslim and interacting regularly with other people who are Muslim means I’m more likely to hear about and relate to the issues faced by the groups I mentioned. It probably registers more easily with me as a huge problem than it does for the average Western person.

Having said that, even my first instinct when I heard someone say “All lives matter” was to think that “all lives” are a bit irrelevant, Black lives are the ones being treated with indifference here. Because as a Westerner, I too was constantly bombarded with media information about the George Floyd incident, the resulting social media and IRL protests, and images of a white police officer’s knee on a black man’s neck. It did require another person reminding me about all these other injustices around the globe to see that my perspective was getting a bit skewed.

The same applies to you pointing out that my three examples all involve Muslims. If there are more examples I could have included to make my point more representative of the world at large, I’d love to have done so. (I did try to think of some but couldn’t off off the top of my head though, and settled for writing “and many others”). My perspective, like all the rest of us, is probably still skewed though.

But that’s the whole problem I’m pointing out. And it is a problem, isn’t it? That the Westerner feels more affinity with his fellow Westerners and is outraged on behalf of them when they are treated unjustly, and the same applies to the Muslim. The media and social media present information to us with a skew towards people who are like ourselves, and it creates a disconnection, dehumanisation and loss of empathy when it comes to the rest of the world. Why are we not working to solve this? If “all lives matter” indeed, we shouldn’t be able to sleep at night so easily knowing that our own elected governments are either bystanders or even complicit in what is going on.

I saw a very thought-provoking YouTube video about this the other day: https://youtu.be/Vh7H4FTsGfc

Fundamentally the principle is the same as what BLM is going for and has shown to be possible; that a person isn’t less of a fellow human being, and a person doesn’t deserve less of your concern just because some arbitrary characteristic is different from your own. You say that the “majority of people in the West are going to think far more locally Western” but I don’t see how that’s any better than saying “the majority of whites are going to think far more about the interests of other white people”.
Last edited by tazarooni89; 4 days ago
Moonbow
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
The news is making the tension even worse...
username5322498
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by tazarooni89)
What makes you say that?
Because that's how it's been employed by pro-police quasi-racist right wing media from the beginning.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/16/u...es-matter.html

You say that the “majority of people in the West are going to think far more locally Western” but I don’t see how that’s any better than saying “the majority of whites are going to think far more about the interests of other white people”.
I think a person, say, in the UK ignoring racism in the UK (because it isn't happening to his/her group) is worse than a person in the UK ignoring (or being ignorant of) the Xinjiang conflict. You've more power making local changes: you can vote in local and general elections, pressure your MP, your local council, organise at community level, petition, organise/participate in protests etc.

Even then BLM US/UK haven't yet made significant changes to local issues, so I don't think the movement can take on all global injustices. At times the morally right strategy might not be the most effective strategy. I think their remarks from the other day will probably damage them, for example. I don't think they were in a place where they could expand their fight to the middle east.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by username5322498)
I think a person, say, in the UK ignoring racism in the UK (because it isn't happening to his/her group) is worse than a person in the UK ignoring (or being ignorant of) the Xinjiang conflict. You've more power making local changes: you can vote in local and general elections, pressure your MP, your local council, organise at community level, petition, organise/participate in protests etc.
That's a novel interpretation. You do know some people have more pressing matters than nebulous social justice crusades right? Putting food on their plate for example.
Even then BLM US/UK haven't yet made significant changes to local issues, so I don't think the movement can take on all global injustices. At times the morally right strategy might not be the most effective strategy. I think their remarks from the other day will probably damage them, for example. I don't think they were in a place where they could expand their fight to the middle east.
By definition it cant, it's a one trick pony. Never mind the fact that it is ironically enough ignoring the true plight of black people and that is each other and their governments on the continent. If you think American police treat blacks badly you'll be in for one hell of a shock when you find out how black police treat their nominal charges :lol:

I am curious what you think they could//should be doing in the ME though? I imagine most people there have slightly more pressing matters to attend to than the fate of a few black people. Such as not being blown up, dissapeared, tortured etc. themselves.
Black people may well have a tough time of it in certain areas of the world, that doesnt mean it is the preeminent problem for countries though, least of all outside the western bubble.
ThuggerThugger
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Not sure what people don’t understand about BLM tbh, when someone says ALM I just instantly assume they are either racist or just not that smart. I feel like BLM should have been named:

“Black Lives Matter Just As much as Non-Black Lives”

As people don’t seem to understand the reasoning behind it. No doubt the same morons who go on about ALM are the same morons who want straight pride day to be a thing.
Last edited by ThuggerThugger; 3 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (51)
19.39%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (58)
22.05%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (50)
19.01%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (55)
20.91%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (25)
9.51%
I haven't started researching yet (24)
9.13%

Watched Threads