Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I finished university with a 2:2 and the third year was an overall 60% which is a 2:1. However, they also take into account second year which I got 43% overall due to major issues such as financial issues, caring for my mother who has kidney failure and mental health issues and moving houses. I wanted to know is it possible for a university to look at my first-year grades and ignore my second-year grades. Even though I went through hell during the second year, I worked so hard in the third year and got all B grades so can they not take that into account if I appeal, are they likely to change my 2:2 to a 2:1, also am I allowed to retake some assignments in the second year to increase my award.
if someone has gone through anything similar please help
Kogomogo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
does your student union have a rep or some other advisor you can set up an appoinrment with? They'll have the best knowledge for your specific uni and should be able to help drafting any appeals.
Anonymous #1
yh they do but they said they help with academic appeals
Kogomogo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I think it might fall under academic appeal? Like a delayed extenuating circumstances claim. I'd probably go speak to them or send an email.
mike23mike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I finished university with a 2:2 and the third year was an overall 60% which is a 2:1. However, they also take into account second year which I got 43% overall due to major issues such as financial issues, caring for my mother who has kidney failure and mental health issues and moving houses. I wanted to know is it possible for a university to look at my first-year grades and ignore my second-year grades. Even though I went through hell during the second year, I worked so hard in the third year and got all B grades so can they not take that into account if I appeal, are they likely to change my 2:2 to a 2:1, also am I allowed to retake some assignments in the second year to increase my award.
if someone has gone through anything similar please help
Look, I am really sorry to write but your second-year grades can not now be changed. Any appeals and special circumstances relating to your 2nd year performance should have been presented during the 2nd year exam boards last June. You have left it too late to appeal against your 2nd-year results. Any appeals you make now can only relate to your 3rd-year modules and it seems you have done ok there. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I find myself agreeing with the above post. However, what we're talking about here is an academic appeal.

The question is did you file for exceptional circumstances at the time of your second year assessments?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 04MR17)
I find myself agreeing with the above post. However, what we're talking about here is an academic appeal.

The question is did you file for exceptional circumstances at the time of your second year assessments?
no i didn't because i honestly had no idea i had that option. plus having no support shown from tutors or lecturers, i didn't feel comfortable talking to anyone about my issues
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by mike23mike)
Look, I am really sorry to write but your second-year grades can not now be changed. Any appeals and special circumstances relating to your 2nd year performance should have been presented during the 2nd year exam boards last June. You have left it too late to appeal against your 2nd-year results. Any appeals you make now can only relate to your 3rd-year modules and it seems you have done ok there. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
This.

OP, the ship has sailed unfortunately, and it's most likely too late to claim retrospectively. You can't resit any assignments from second year, nor ask the university to disregard a whole year's worth of study. You need to try to accept your final classification and look to the future now.
mike23mike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
no i didn't because i honestly had no idea i had that option. plus having no support shown from tutors or lecturers, i didn't feel comfortable talking to anyone about my issues
Hi universities have pastoral tutors for undergraduates to help and support individuals who may end up in trouble personally - financial worries, stress, depression etc. I don't know where you studied but I find it hard to believe that you did not have a pastoral tutor. He/she would have reached out to you at the end of the second year to find out what was going on if you had failed so many modules. They would have put your case forward at the second year Exam Board last June.

If you look at the student handbook for your course it will make the same points. When someone fails not just one class but several then that student is discussed at the exam board to understand if there were extenuating circumstances. I find it hard to believe all these process steps were not followed at the end of your year 2 assessments.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Sorry to hear that. Every university* has a policy that allows for special consideration of students who find themselves in particular circumstances. Information about these will be readily available on the university's website and should have been explained in introductory lectures / at the start of each year. If you weren't aware of any such policies then that's a real shame - perhaps discuss this with some of your coursemates to find out if this was a common problem that your cohort simply wasn't well informed about or whether it was simply something you missed.

As others have mentioned, personal tutor support is also something that almost all universities follow.

My only advice now would be to contact the Students' Union to see if there's anything further you can do, but it doesn't look very likely as far as I can see.

*I've never heard of one that doesn't, and I've read quite a few policies
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (56)
9.02%
Confident (81)
13.04%
Indifferent (89)
14.33%
Unsure (159)
25.6%
Worried (236)
38%

Watched Threads

Latest