aaa24
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi hope everyone’s doing well!
I was wondering if anyone could tell me which revision guides to get for maths (I’m doing Igcse edexcel higher - e.g is the cgp textbook or workbook better?) and for further maths aqa level 2 (e.g cgp or aqa or Collins etc.)
Thanks
isobeln
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm also doing iGCSE Edexcel higher maths. I recommend getting both the cgp guide and workbook- check Depop & eBay to get them for cheaper and also it's better for the environment to reuse books. hope this helps x
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by aaa24)
Hi hope everyone’s doing well!
I was wondering if anyone could tell me which revision guides to get for maths (I’m doing Igcse edexcel higher - e.g is the cgp textbook or workbook better?) and for further maths aqa level 2 (e.g cgp or aqa or Collins etc.)
Thanks
School may suggest the best one and bulk buy it.

There are some great websites too - look here for example:
https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php...eets&term=GCSE
_notmyrealname
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Wow what are the chances of that! I happen to have done both of those exams with the same boards, and in my experience (having got nearly full marks in both exams), workbooks aren't necessary. It's no secret that in order to get better at maths, you have to do maths, quite frankly a ridiculous amount of questions. For GCSE, there are an insane amount of past papers freely available to you online on the Edexcel website (Here!). I would recommend you doing every single past paper for GCSE to prepare yourself as much as possible. In regards to the Level 2 qualification, there are a significantly less number of past papers available, when I did mine last year I believe there were only around 4-6 (an estimate, it was a year ago!). In this case, a workbook might be helpful if you can't find exam style questions. However, you should ask your teacher for similar questions, I'm sure they'll be more than useful. When I did my exams, my teachers dumped an insane level of practice questions and past papers on us before we took the exam, so the resources are out there. Another thing I should add, when doing past papers for the Level 2 qualification, save a couple for the week / fortnight / month (whichever) before your exam, so you can have a clear indication of where you're at, and what your weaknesses are heading into the final exam.

Purely out of curiosity, can I ask what year you're in? I've known some people to do both qualifications in year 11, some of my friends did that last year, where others take the GCSE early in year 10 and do further maths the year after (what I did).

If you have any other questions regarding any of these exams, I'm very happy to answer them, if I can ofc. Good luck with everything!
aaa24
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by _notmyrealname)
Wow what are the chances of that! I happen to have done both of those exams with the same boards, and in my experience (having got nearly full marks in both exams), workbooks aren't necessary. It's no secret that in order to get better at maths, you have to do maths, quite frankly a ridiculous amount of questions. For GCSE, there are an insane amount of past papers freely available to you online on the Edexcel website (Here!). I would recommend you doing every single past paper for GCSE to prepare yourself as much as possible. In regards to the Level 2 qualification, there are a significantly less number of past papers available, when I did mine last year I believe there were only around 4-6 (an estimate, it was a year ago!). In this case, a workbook might be helpful if you can't find exam style questions. However, you should ask your teacher for similar questions, I'm sure they'll be more than useful. When I did my exams, my teachers dumped an insane level of practice questions and past papers on us before we took the exam, so the resources are out there. Another thing I should add, when doing past papers for the Level 2 qualification, save a couple for the week / fortnight / month (whichever) before your exam, so you can have a clear indication of where you're at, and what your weaknesses are heading into the final exam.

Purely out of curiosity, can I ask what year you're in? I've known some people to do both qualifications in year 11, some of my friends did that last year, where others take the GCSE early in year 10 and do further maths the year after (what I did).

If you have any other questions regarding any of these exams, I'm very happy to answer them, if I can ofc. Good luck with everything!
Thank you so much! I'm going into year 11 in September and we do both then. Just a quick question, how early did you start revising?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (83)
18.74%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (90)
20.32%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (84)
18.96%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (96)
21.67%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (44)
9.93%
I haven't started researching yet (46)
10.38%

Watched Threads