The Student Room Group

UKCAT timings: to someone who has already done test

hi
sorry this is a new thread and not in the UKCAT section, but i really need a response!

I've got my UKCAt soon and am particularly worried about the time limits and no of questions, so what are the official timings for each ukcat section (verbal, quantitative, abstract, decision) and the no of questions in each of the sections as i keep getting contradicting info?

thanks, really appreciate it:smile:
Reply 1
Hi Clairedelune,

The splits are as follows -

When I am saying how much time for each section the second number in brackets includes the extra minute for reading over the instructions - as soon as you move on from the instruction screen the time will go down to the amount not in brackets. Hope that makes sense, I wanted to stress that because it caught me out.

Verbal Reasoning (VR) - 44 questions in 21(22) minutes
Quantitative Reasoning (QR) - 40 questions in 21(22) minutes
Abstract Reasoning (AR) - 65 questions in 15 (16) minutes
Decision Analysis (DA) - 26 questions in 29 (30) minutes

The non congnitive analysis section is timed but there is a huge time limit as its basically personality test therefore time is irrelevant, hence this is not important.

I found time shortest on the quantitave anaylsis section but I guess everyone has different strengths and weaknesses.

One thing I did do this time round (I've done the UKCAT twice now) which I found helpful was to write down on my whiteboard before the test had started for each section, which questions I should be on at half time. Doing this beforehand just helped me with the issue of pacing a little.

I wish you the very best of luck and hope that this helped!

Cheers,

--Dave
Reply 2
Same as the ones you get on the full practice test on the official website. :smile:
Reply 3
-42-
Hi Clairedelune,

The splits are as follows -

When I am saying how much time for each section the second number in brackets includes the extra minute for reading over the instructions - as soon as you move on from the instruction screen the time will go down to the amount not in brackets. Hope that makes sense, I wanted to stress that because it caught me out.

Verbal Reasoning (VR) - 44 questions in 21(22) minutes
Quantitative Reasoning (QR) - 40 questions in 21(22) minutes
Abstract Reasoning (AR) - 65 questions in 15 (16) minutes
Decision Analysis (DA) - 26 questions in 29 (30) minutes

The non congnitive analysis section is timed but there is a huge time limit as its basically personality test therefore time is irrelevant, hence this is not important.

I found time shortest on the quantitave anaylsis section but I guess everyone has different strengths and weaknesses.

One thing I did do this time round (I've done the UKCAT twice now) which I found helpful was to write down on my whiteboard before the test had started for each section, which questions I should be on at half time. Doing this beforehand just helped me with the issue of pacing a little.

I wish you the very best of luck and hope that this helped!

Cheers,

--Dave

thank you so much...but that's just made me even more nervous, there's not enough time for me to comprehend the questions!
Reply 4
Well if you get used to answering practice questions this will help a lot in getting used to the way the questions are asked and hence the way you need to go through the test. Do the practice test from the UKCAT website and hopefully this should get you used to things. You'll still find parts hard and parts will still be pushed for time, but practising will do a lot of good to your confidence hopefully as it genuinely does help prepare you : - ).

Cheers,

--Dave

Latest

Trending

Trending