There is a clear lack of trust with Ofqual and the exam boards

Watch
username5243714
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Take a look at this petition - https://www.change.org/p/boris-johns...d-gcse-results

Over 100,000 people have signed this petition. Yes, some of the information in it is slightly incorrect but based on what we know and the study by an education company (https://ffteducationdatalab.org.uk/2...ed-by-schools/), it could easily become a reality in August.

With "Stop the 33%" trending on Twitter and various news sites increasingly spreading awareness about this issue, Ofqual can't remain quiet any longer.

People need to trust this process, but Ofqual's current attitude is making sure they don't.
Last edited by username5243714; 3 months ago
bluemuffin
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
To be honest I just looked at the article and a lot of it is overly dramatic, “help us get this petition to parliament ASAP before more kids’ lives are destroyed” and “this is the rest of their lives being played with like they are pawns in the government’s game”. The truth is that most students will get the grades they deserve either way, exams or not (emphasis on most), but Ofqual needs to get involved so that the grade distribution is similar/the same as in previous years. Obviously this method this year isn’t perfect and there will always be people who are disproportionately disadvantaged by the current system, however on average I think it’s the best idea. Yes I agree that Ofqual ought to be more transparent about what’s happening however I believe that their adjustments to the grades of a level students are necessary, and this is coming from someone in year 13
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
This does not surprise me at all. A number of reasons:

The belief that exams have got easier over the years or that there has been grade inflation.
The worst Prime Minister in history with possibly the most out of his depth Education Secretary.
The unique situation this year (even if Mr Johnson had acted quickly in March like other countries, exams in the normal way could not have taken place).
The lack of trust that there will always be between some pupils/parents and teachers- even with the best teachers.
The loss of faith in educational bodies (think ofsted, not just ofqual).
The warped or misjudged view some people have of their abilities, or that they can increase their chances with late revision.
That some people are very bad at accepting setbacks or defeat (hence the term used too often, snowflake).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.62%
I'm not sure (56)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (351)
29.15%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.91%
I'm not a current university student (586)
48.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed