Is the UCAS offer rate calculator accurate?

Watch
user377363
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I want to apply for biomedical science at Imperial but have predicted grades A*AA, the calculator told me I only have a 38% chance. On the uni website is says that typical offers made to 80% of applicants are AAA. I’m just confused!
username4247768
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
yeah but it considers how many people are applying. Even though you have good grades it could be a competitive course and a lot of people could have the same grades as you
user377363
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by Amelia 123)
yeah but it considers how many people are applying. Even though you have good grades it could be a competitive course and a lot of people could have the same grades as you
So is it beneficial to have higher predicted grades then like A*A*A even though the entry requirements are lower?
username4247768
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by user377363)
So is it beneficial to have higher predicted grades then like A*A*A even though the entry requirements are lower?
It depends. check how unis score your application. I would email imperial admissions because their website doesn't make it super clear. But some unis consider grades that are higher than entry requirements favourable whereas other unis don't even check as long as you've met the minimum requirements
bluemuffin
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
not always- some unis will make you a higher offer because of your relatively higher predicted grades eg I got an A*AA offer from a uni whose entry requirements were AAA-ABB and I’m convinced it’s because of my predicted grades
JGoosey2002
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I think you’ve misunderstood what it’s telling you. Basically there’s a 38% you will get an offer and then if you get an offer, there’s an 80% chance it will be AAA. Atleast that’s what I think it means
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
AAA would be very low for Imperial. I would have thought their entry requirements for most subjects would be A*AA often higher.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
The offer rate calculator is accurate but it isn’t a predictive tool. It is based on historical applications from people with the same A level subjects and predictions as you. It makes no adjustment for whether you’re from a deprived school/background, whether your PS is well targeted to your degree (a lot of biomed applications are used as a 5 choice for medicine applicants - that might not be welcomed by imperial) or your GCSEs or other qualifications.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (599)
33.88%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (738)
41.74%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (352)
19.91%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.47%

Watched Threads