The Student Room Group

maths and further maths AS level

i was thinking of ucl to do maths for university, but after getting my AS level results back i am not sure if they would accept me now. i got an A in maths, B in further maths, and Bs in chemistry and biology.

im looking to retake 2 units of further maths, i was 12 ums off an A so i should be able to make it up. i am still unsure of what subject to drop out of chemistry and biology, but i would also look to improve my grade to an A by retaking some modules. These retakes would occur in january, so i would have applied to the universities i want to by then. i was wondering is UCL or any universities of a similar stature would be willing to offer me a place with these AS results?
Reply 1
I would think you could get an offer with those A-levels if you get good predicted grades. Have you thought about Warwick as well as youd only need AAB and step or AEA i think
Reply 2
warwick is a good uni, but i want to be in london for uni. and i think that my predicted grades would be better, this year i think i was predicted As in maths and further maths and A/Bs in chemistry and biology. so what i ended up with was pretty much the worst case scenario for me.
Reply 3
If you're definite about London, King's College say their entry requirements are AAA-AAB, but that they'll sometimes give a lower offer if futher maths is included and Queen Mary College ask for 280 UCAS points. Both have good maths departments, so they're worth a look. The only other university I can think of is Royal Holloway, but of course that's not really in London (although their offer is ABB/ABC).
Reply 4
Zerodos
I would think you could get an offer with those A-levels if you get good predicted grades. Have you thought about Warwick as well as youd only need AAB and step or AEA i think

Warwick's got the 2nd highest entry requirements in the country for maths, I doubt "only" is the appropriate word!
Reply 5
Krush
Warwick's got the 2nd highest entry requirements in the country for maths, I doubt "only" is the appropriate word!

Fair point lol
Reply 6
and It's AAA b 2, if Further Maths is included, I think only cambridge beat that. On the upside, they'll give an offer to pretty much anyone, as you're unlikely to get the entry grades.
Reply 7
rizzle08
i was thinking of ucl to do maths for university, but after getting my AS level results back i am not sure if they would accept me now. i got an A in maths, B in further maths, and Bs in chemistry and biology.

im looking to retake 2 units of further maths, i was 12 ums off an A so i should be able to make it up. i am still unsure of what subject to drop out of chemistry and biology, but i would also look to improve my grade to an A by retaking some modules. These retakes would occur in january, so i would have applied to the universities i want to by then. i was wondering is UCL or any universities of a similar stature would be willing to offer me a place with these AS results?

Coming back to your question if your predicted grades are AAB or higher, then you're very likely to get an offer from UCL I would think. Compensate for the AS grades by writing a really good personal statement, really show them how much you like maths! :wink: Just in case find a "back-up plan" uni that you like and that would almost certainly give you an offer, maybe King's?

Latest