Foundation degree or Access course

Watch
Sjtho52
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am hoping to study Nursing September 2021. I am a mature student and currently working as a bank HCA. I am unsure whether to do an Access course or a Foundation degree. Are there disadvantages/ advantages to either. I will need to carry on working so which one is likely to give me most opportunity to work? Is one cheaper to fund than the other? Thanks
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Sjtho52)
I am hoping to study Nursing September 2021. I am a mature student and currently working as a bank HCA. I am unsure whether to do an Access course or a Foundation degree. Are there disadvantages/ advantages to either. I will need to carry on working so which one is likely to give me most opportunity to work? Is one cheaper to fund than the other? Thanks
In nearly all cases I tell people to do an access course.

1. Cheaper as the loan is written off if you finish the degree..
2. When you start the degree you will start with everyone else (although you may be talking foundation year and not degree as stated.
3. Funding comes from FE pot of money and not HE. which is limited.
4. You will be able to ad access same time as working, although a push.
Tw1x
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
In nearly all cases I tell people to do an access course.

1. Cheaper as the loan is written off if you finish the degree..
2. When you start the degree you will start with everyone else (although you may be talking foundation year and not degree as stated.
3. Funding comes from FE pot of money and not HE. which is limited.
4. You will be able to ad access same time as working, although a push.
This
National Careers Service
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Sjtho52)
Hi there. An access course would make more sense for nursing, as they are specially designed to prepare you for a nursing degree and, as the other commentor mentioned, your funding loan would get wiped out once you go on to university. You might, however, want to look at going straight to university to do a foundation year (not the same as a foundation degree), where you tag a year onto the start of your degree and spend the first year preparing - it's pretty much like doing your access course and degree together in one course at the same place over four years, rather than one year at college then three years at uni. The length of study and the end result is the same and you get four years of student finance so you could apply for maintenance money for your first year too.

You can have a look at them here on UCAS to learn more https://bit.ly/31wIUkz

Hope that makes sense, let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks, Mark
Sjtho52
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Many thanks for the advice - certainly it's something to consider.. However I am not sure there is one near me - being a mature student and having a family means I don't really want to travel too far....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (63)
19.38%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (70)
21.54%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (60)
18.46%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (68)
20.92%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (32)
9.85%
I haven't started researching yet (32)
9.85%

Watched Threads