carvenmarvin
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi everyone. So in 2018-2019 I took a gap year, and now I've just finished my first year of university. However, I have struggled to find people I click with and have generally been unhappy this year, despite enjoying the course. So I'm considering changing to another university to restart my degree, to give me a better chance of meeting people.
However, I'm worried that now I'll be 2 years behind my peers...

Has anyone done the same thing and it worked out? Or what advice would you have if I stay at my uni?

Cheers
Econ1906
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Have you tried joining societies to make friends?
bscape
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'd say enjoying your course is the main thing. You won't be there for much longer- 2 years will fly by and by that time you'll have a degree and ready to embark upon your next chapter. Obviously I don't know how unhappy you truly are. However, I will say that I think the whole uni experience is massively romanticised and a lot of people find that it doesn't live up to what they thought it would be.
carvenmarvin
Rep:
?
(Original post by Econ1906)
Have you tried joining societies to make friends?
Yes I've got involved with a few different societies, but I haven't connected especially well with anyone. I go to society events which happen in a set time period, but I never end up hanging out with people outside of them, leaving me feeling very lonely.

Maybe I've just been unlucky and should try joining different societies. But how many do I have to keep trying before I meet my people? I don't want to keep searching for the rest of uni and never end up fitting in
carvenmarvin
Rep:
?
(Original post by bscape)
I'd say enjoying your course is the main thing. You won't be there for much longer- 2 years will fly by and by that time you'll have a degree and ready to embark upon your next chapter. Obviously I don't know how unhappy you truly are. However, I will say that I think the whole uni experience is massively romanticised and a lot of people find that it doesn't live up to what they thought it would be.
I think that is a really good point, and I'll definitely think it over. But I can't help comparing my situation to that of my friends at other universities and people around me at my current uni. If they are having a better time, surely I am missing out by not having a similar experience? It really weighs down on me.
Ratchet Hoe
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
GURL... A lot of us students are going through this. Just got a phone call to confirm my accommodation and I did, but with everything going on, it really isnt exactly the first thing on my mind eventhough I was actually concerned about it. What happens if I go and there is a social distancing issue again and so much more on top of that. Plus the industries collapsing, how will my prospects be?
Econ1906
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by carvenmarvin)
Yes I've got involved with a few different societies, but I haven't connected especially well with anyone. I go to society events which happen in a set time period, but I never end up hanging out with people outside of them, leaving me feeling very lonely.

Maybe I've just been unlucky and should try joining different societies. But how many do I have to keep trying before I meet my people? I don't want to keep searching for the rest of uni and never end up fitting in
Have you tried looking outside of uni for friends? Maybe any local clubs, sports or hobbies, or see if there are any Facebook groups for your uni and local area?
carvenmarvin
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by Econ1906)
Have you tried looking outside of uni for friends? Maybe any local clubs, sports or hobbies, or see if there are any Facebook groups for your uni and local area?
I could try but unlikely as my uni is a campus in the middle of nowhere. Definitely things within the uni though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (70)
18.82%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (76)
20.43%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (68)
18.28%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (78)
20.97%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (39)
10.48%
I haven't started researching yet (41)
11.02%

Watched Threads