The Student Room Group

Bath vs Nottingham vs Birmingham

Most likely Mechanical Engineering, Integrated Mechanical and Electrical Engineering at Bath. Don't know which one to apply to for my 1 remaining space in UCAS Application!!!!

1.) Does it matter that Bath is not a Russell Group University in terms of career prospects?

2.) Which out of these three Universities would be the best to try and get into Investment Banking with?

3.) Are any of the three Universities much more prestigious than the others?

4.) Which of these 3 cities is the best/safest city to live in and go to University there?

Thanks a lot in advance 👍👍👍👍
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

1) im not really sure about bath but Russell group uni are always ahead with career prospects
2)Birmingham
3)Birmingham and Nottingham are more prestigious than Bath
4)Safest would be Nottingham but if you're looking for more fun and safety then Birmingham
Reply 2
Original post by playboiaboodi
1) im not really sure about bath but Russell group uni are always ahead with career prospects
2)Birmingham
4)Safest would be Nottingham but if you're looking for more fun and safety then Birmingham

Interesting. Thanks a lot for letting me know about this. I thought Bath was if not as much, more prestigious than the other two, and also the most safest!!!! Guess I was mistaken!!!! Thanks again for your advice!!!!
Reply 3
Original post by playboiaboodi
2)Birmingham

Did you just make this whole thing up?
Reply 4
Original post by ndbank
Interesting. Thanks a lot for letting me know about this. I thought Bath was if not as much, more prestigious than the other two, and also the most safest!!!! Guess I was mistaken!!!! Thanks again for your advice!!!!

My guess is that Bath has the edge over the others in terms of perceived quality of intake, and is known for very strong year in industry courses which is important in engineering.
Reply 5
Original post by ajj2000
Did you just make this whole thing up?

Haha, I was thinking this sounded a bit odd, but wasn't too sure.
Reply 6
Original post by ajj2000
My guess is that Bath has the edge over the others in terms of perceived quality of intake, and is known for very strong year in industry courses which is important in engineering.

Okay cheers, thanks for the advice, I will keep this in mind. The year in industry is appealing, but final goal is Investment Baking and wasn't sure if any of these Universities had an edge in this regard? Thanks a lot in advance 👍👍👍👍
Reply 7
Original post by ndbank
Okay cheers, thanks for the advice, I will keep this in mind. The year in industry is appealing, but final goal is Investment Baking and wasn't sure if any of these Universities had an edge in this regard? Thanks a lot in advance 👍👍👍👍

Probably best to post on an investment banking forum. If you look at the Bath website you can see where their gradutes went to work which could give an idea. If the goal is IB did you consider UCL (not that it has a good rep for mech eng)?
Original post by ndbank
Most likely Mechanical Engineering, Integrated Mechanical and Electrical Engineering at Bath. Don't know which one to apply to for my 1 remaining space in UCAS Application!!!!

1.) Does it matter that Bath is not a Russell Group University in terms of career prospects?

2.) Which out of these three Universities would be the best to try and get into Investment Banking with?

3.) Are any of the three Universities much more prestigious than the others?

4.) Which of these 3 cities is the best/safest city to live in and go to University there?

Thanks a lot in advance 👍👍👍👍

1) no (only exception is if you wish to pursue academic research, but IF you chose to do this you can always get a BEng then move to a research uni for MSc, so either way not really)
2)Not much in it, for IB Bath & Nottingham are both often termed 'semi targets' neither are either as recruited as Imperial/Oxford but still regularly get students in, the key for IB is applying for spring weeks and building your CV from the moment you arrive at uni.
3) Id say Nottingham & Bath are overall marginally more prestigious then Brum but its not a significant difference, outside of engineering, in say law or economics then yes definetly but in engineering there all equally regarded.
4) I wouldn't worry about this, if you are a sensible person it wont matter, if it is 4am dont walk back through a city by yourself drunk in unlit areas (get an uber), if you leave your house to see a neighbour for 2 minutes lock your door, You cant predict the world but just using common sense will avoid 99% of the things that could go wrong.
Reply 9
Original post by ajj2000
Probably best to post on an investment banking forum. If you look at the Bath website you can see where their gradutes went to work which could give an idea. If the goal is IB did you consider UCL (not that it has a good rep for mech eng)?

Yeah I did. Got predicted AAA and need A*AA for UCL. Would there be a good change of getting a conditional offer from UCL, or is all hope lost with my predictions? Thanks a lot in advance 👍👍👍👍
Original post by ndbank
Yeah I did. Got predicted AAA and need A*AA for UCL. Would there be a good change of getting a conditional offer from UCL, or is all hope lost with my predictions? Thanks a lot in advance 👍👍👍👍

Probably a pretty good chance - I dont think their engineering courses are hugely competitive to get onto.
Reply 11
Original post by mnot
1) no (only exception is if you wish to pursue academic research, but IF you chose to do this you can always get a BEng then move to a research uni for MSc, so either way not really)
2)Not much in it, for IB Bath & Nottingham are both often termed 'semi targets' neither are either as recruited as Imperial/Oxford but still regularly get students in, the key for IB is applying for spring weeks and building your CV from the moment you arrive at uni.
3) Id say Nottingham & Bath are overall marginally more prestigious then Brum but its not a significant difference, outside of engineering, in say law or economics then yes definetly but in engineering there all equally regarded.
4) I wouldn't worry about this, if you are a sensible person it wont matter, if it is 4am dont walk back through a city by yourself drunk in unlit areas (get an uber), if you leave your house to see a neighbour for 2 minutes lock your door, You cant predict the world but just using common sense will avoid 99% of the things that could go wrong.

Brilliant thanks a lot for your advice. I have been leaning towards Bath, and this has helped me cut down to just Bath and Nottingham. I am planning to apply to UCL but have been predicted AAA and need A*AA, do you think there would be any chance on getting an offer? Thanks a lot in advance 👍👍👍👍
Original post by ndbank

https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/
I plugged In physics, maths, biology AAA and it listed 64% chance of offer.

UCL is not a great engineering uni but is definitely more heavily targeted for IB.
Reply 13
Original post by mnot
https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/
I plugged In physics, maths, biology AAA and it listed 64% chance of offer.

UCL is not a great engineering uni but is definitely more heavily targeted for IB.

Ah okay cheers! I will check it out. I'm doing Further Maths, Maths and Physics, so quite heavy on the maths front!
Original post by ndbank
Ah okay cheers! I will check it out. I'm doing Further Maths, Maths and Physics, so quite heavy on the maths front!

Perfect, yea I didnt do chemistry or FM as I thought id air on the side of caution...
--
Side note to what uni you pick, FM is the best prep you can do for an engineering degree.

I think you have a pretty decent shot at an offer for UCL.
Reply 15
Original post by mnot
Perfect, yea I didnt do chemistry or FM as I thought id air on the side of caution...
--
Side note to what uni you pick, FM is the best prep you can do for an engineering degree.

I think you have a pretty decent shot at an offer for UCL.

Thanks for your reply and thanks for your positive message! Yeah, I'm quite annoyed that I couldn't get 1 A* somewhere, and feel that my application will get tossed as a result of this.

Yeah I'm glad in a way that I picked Further Maths, but it is quite challenging so completely understand why someone would avoid this (and Chemistry)!!!!
Original post by ndbank
Thanks for your reply and thanks for your positive message! Yeah, I'm quite annoyed that I couldn't get 1 A* somewhere, and feel that my application will get tossed as a result of this.

Yeah I'm glad in a way that I picked Further Maths, but it is quite challenging so completely understand why someone would avoid this (and Chemistry)!!!!

TBH if you’re predicted an A for further maths you probably should be predicted an A* for regular maths.

Might be worth speaking to the teacher about this if you choose to apply to UCL.
Reply 17
Original post by mnot
TBH if you’re predicted an A for further maths you probably should be predicted an A* for regular maths.

Might be worth speaking to the teacher about this if you choose to apply to UCL.

Yeah I feel like my school could have predicted me at least 1 A*, but I don't really know who to go to, to complain, or even what to ask them, without seeming rude 😬😬😬😬
Why put yourself through an engineering degree to go into investment banking. Why not look at doing a maths degree with finance for example then do a master's degree in investment banking? Maths degrees I would say are easier at university
Reply 19
Original post by Justageezer
Why put yourself through an engineering degree to go into investment banking. Why not look at doing a maths degree with finance for example then do a master's degree in investment banking? Maths degrees I would say are easier at university

I really enjoy the look of the course content of an engineering degree and would enjoy a career in engineering too. But would prefer a career (at the minute) in finance, so really split between the two. Also Maths degrees I've read are also quite hard, similar to engineering. I am looking at either doing Engineering or Accounting and Finance. I haven't really looked/wanted to look much into Maths.

Quick Reply

Latest