The Student Room Group

Physics tension and extension question

I am a bit stuck with this physics question it has 4 parts and I don't get it at all. Any help is much appreciated.

(i) Two identical springs, each of natural length 2.0m and spring constant 80Nm−1 are placed in series (that is, one joined to the end of the other), with a weight of 7.5N suspended from the bottom spring. State the tension in each spring.

(ii)Work out the total extension of the system in question (i)

(iii) If the two identical springs from question (i) were placed in parallel so that they can share the load, with the same weight of 7.5N suspended from the combination, work out the tension in each of the springs.

(iv)What is the total length of the system in question (iii)
Original post by SumiG13
I am a bit stuck with this physics question it has 4 parts and I don't get it at all. Any help is much appreciated.

(i) Two identical springs, each of natural length 2.0m and spring constant 80Nm−1 are placed in series (that is, one joined to the end of the other), with a weight of 7.5N suspended from the bottom spring. State the tension in each spring.

(iii) If the two identical springs from question (i) were placed in parallel so that they can share the load, with the same weight of 7.5N suspended from the combination, work out the tension in each of the springs.

If you want to learn the physics behind springs in series and parallel, can have a look at the following video:
[video="youtube;taT4kdu88Vc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taT4kdu88Vc[/video]

If you want the maths, have a look the following wiki:
https://math-physics-problems.wikia.org/wiki/Springs_in_Series_and_Parallel
Reply 2
Original post by SumiG13

For question one: as the 7.5 N weight is not moving downwards the springs must be countering with an equal and opposite force. The video above explains how the tension would be distributed.

Quick Reply

Latest