hf91
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I am looking for advice, I am late 20s but left school with no GCSEs, I am considering OU but really stuck on which course to study, Choices are between;
Mathematics
Physics
Mathematics & Statistics
Mathematics & Physics

Although I have no GCSEs and when in school I never studied algebra, calculus, trigonometry etc, I would say the basic math that i do understand I seem to have a very good command of ( I work as an estimator and would say I am strongest in my work numerically in regards to the mathematics we do use )

The reason I want to study with OU is for further career prospects and much wider horizons. The reason for numerical subject choices is because It is where I am most confident and curious. I have no specific career that I would like and preferences will change over time, however - I am confident I want to always work in some kind of quantitative field.

Which degree would be the better option in terms of employment opportunities within general quantitive fields without pigeonholing or excluding myself too much?

I am interested in analysts/statistician roles, gaming , software, even quantity surveying or engineering. I would probably look into teaching myself how to code etc... I get the impression physics is viewed very positively for analyst type roles however a lot of people are really emphasising the importance and marketability of statistics in analyst type roles also, then I see a lot of stuff about a standard mathematics degree being the best foundation for these types of careers but others claim it to be inferior to more applied subjects such as stats, physics etc... the modules for the physics course don’t seem to have much statistics content neither does the combined mathematics and physics as it is mostly the core mathematics modules. I really don’t want to miss out on important stats modules however I really don’t want to miss out on physics modules that I believe will also teach great transferable skills, I will also add at this point I never studied any physics at school however I am very curious about the subject since looking into degrees and think it sounds really interesting. If I was 18 I would probably just flip a coin but being in my late twenties I really want the best opportunities at the end of it. Any suggestions?
vicvic38
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Mathematics, as a degree, is much different to how you imagine it. It is all about theorems and abstract problems, rather than numerical estimation. Maths is NOT a numerical subject. It's more of a philosophical one, if I had to put a label on it. I don't want to put you off, and having looked at the OU's description of their course, it looks like a really good way to approach the academic study of maths. It seems like you can go in with a vaguely GCSE level understanding (even if you don't have any) and come out with a degree at the end!

The best thing I can say is read the module descriptions of the courses you're thinking about, order some prospectuses, and if, even after reading all that you're not sure, you can contact an OU advisor to try and decide.

Maths is a great subject, and the OU course looks like a good way to get into it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.29%
I'm not sure (33)
4.26%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (238)
30.71%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.45%
I'm not a current university student (382)
49.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed