Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm sick of threads about GCSE's and AS Levels too but I don't know anyone who does AS Art and after repeatedly reading the course description I still don't know whether I want to take it up or not in September. In order for me to take it up I would have to drop the course History of Art and that's where I get lost as I don't want to drop a subject for a subject that i might end up dropping later on in the year.

What's AS art like?
    Is the course good? Is it boring?
    Is it hard?
    Is it similar to GCSE Art?

ReputationRep:
    Yup AQA.

ReputationRep:
    laalooo lida

ReputationRep:
    dont mind me

ReputationRep:
    lidaaaananannana dont do AS art

ReputationRep:
    Hello puifon

ReputationRep:
    whyyyyyy

ReputationRep:
    cos dooont

ReputationRep:
    no nice no good

ReputationRep:
    yes yes yes do art!!! i got A* with AQA at gcse, and then only got a B at AS with OCR. OCR is a lot more research and development which is RUBBISH!

ReputationRep:
    no research i dont ike research noooo

ReputationRep:
    i took art just for as. i found it a lot of fun and a really nice break from my other subjects (mathsy/sciency). however art required a LOT more work in my opinion due to the absolutely insane amount of coursework you need to pump out, true i left it a bit late but oh my god, the stress :|
    plus the actual art exam was some hours over a certain amount of days, so i ended up missing loads of my other classes thus falling a bit behind there too :<

overall i'd say it's pretty similar to gcse art in the coursework sense. but i really did find it even harder than further maths, i put a lot more hours into as art than i did for f. maths at a2.. >_<

ReputationRep:
    I was on edexcel, so it might be different to the AQA course a bit!

What's AS art like?
    - like GCSE, except the students suddenly want to do nude photography and installation art a lot.

Depends how much you enjoy it! The practical side is great, as always.
    But there is a much bigger emphasis on context, history, theory, problem solving and meaning this time. You will have to do a bit of work in the library and definately try and visit a few galleries if you can, your work needs to be considered and informed, whereas at GCSE it's just really self expression. You'll explore your styles, other artist's styles, think of brand new ways to express concepts, go into new, undeveloped mediums, or invent new ones.... be much more intuitive. use your brains!

Is it hard?
    Not so much mentally demanding, but the amount of coursework makes it quite an intensive course. You need to be extremely committed if you want the top grades. We were expected to fill up three or four entire A3 sketch books a year full o' work and annotation - at least one per term (plus outcomes on canvas, sculptures, etc) - you'll do a nice chunky portfolio's worth of work in a year. You need to show development.

I personally found it very similar, just like any course, your thinking has to be MUCH MUCH more fluent and refined to reflect how much your learning has matured in the last year.

We had four key concepts to cover:
    - 1. observation; First hand observational drawings and original work - recording personal insights, ideas, experiences, motivations and information through annotation or imagery.
    - 2. Evaluation; Study, analysis and critical evaluation, showing understanding of purpose, meanings and context of other artist's works
    - 3. progression; development, exploration and investigations, experimenting with new mediums and ideas to develop your original ideas and show progression as an artist.
    - 4. responseshow a personal, coherent and informed response to themes, as a final outcome

If you cover all four key areas well in your work then you'll do fine. If you are stuck, go back to the four areas and see where you can improve what you've done already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    I was on edexcel, so it might be different to the AQA course a bit!

What's AS art like?
    - like GCSE, except the students suddenly want to do nude photography and installation art a lot.

Depends how much you enjoy it! The practical side is great, as always.
    But there is a much bigger emphasis on context, history, theory, problem solving and meaning this time. You will have to do a bit of work in the library and definately try and visit a few galleries if you can, your work needs to be considered and informed, whereas at GCSE it's just really self expression. You'll explore your styles, other artist's styles, think of brand new ways to express concepts, go into new, undeveloped mediums, or invent new ones.... be much more intuitive. use your brains!

Is it hard?
    Not so much mentally demanding, but the amount of coursework makes it quite an intensive course. You need to be extremely committed if you want the top grades. We were expected to fill up three or four entire A3 sketch books a year full o' work and annotation - at least one per term (plus outcomes on canvas, sculptures, etc) - you'll do a nice chunky portfolio's worth of work in a year. You need to show development.

I personally found it very similar, just like any course, your thinking has to be MUCH MUCH more fluent and refined to reflect how much your learning has matured in the last year.

We had four key concepts to cover:
    - 1. observation; First hand observational drawings and original work - recording personal insights, ideas, experiences, motivations and information through annotation or imagery.
    - 2. Evaluation; Study, analysis and critical evaluation, showing understanding of purpose, meanings and context of other artist's works
    - 3. progression; development, exploration and investigations, experimenting with new mediums and ideas to develop your original ideas and show progression as an artist.
    - 4. responseshow a personal, coherent and informed response to themes, as a final outcome

If you cover all four key areas well in your work then you'll do fine. If you are stuck, go back to the four areas and see where you can improve what you've done already.
    sounds chalenging.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lidskoo)
    sounds chalenging.
    A Levels generally are!

It sounds like a lot but you have an entire year to do it, and your teachers will guide you every step of the way

ReputationRep:
    Don't do As Art unless you are seriously considering taking it further than A Level, it's very time consuming. It's also very dull compared to Art after A Level!

ReputationRep:
    its as dull as you want to make it lol.. its pretty similar to gcse although they want you to work a lot faster and it does take a lot of time but if youre good (A/A* gcse good) then its not too hard to get an A

try and balance it against the other subjects you have by taking longer at the beginning and middle of the year but then not as much at the end because the advantage is its an AS level that you dont have to think about in an exam situation, and one where if you work hard - and produce good work, chances are you will secure the grade you deserve (as oppose to exams on the day in more academic written subjects)

ReputationRep:
    god ur all so dramatic. art is a great a level to take, better than stupid courses like dance or beauty or drama or sumthing!!

ReputationRep:
    Art AS level. I did it with edexcel, and although it was allot of work, I really enjoyed. However, in order to geta good grade you really do have to knuckle down with homework- it's not like other subjects where you can afford to cram last minute if you are good at it.

Our course was good- you had to do a decent mixture of observational drawing, mixed media pieces, original responses and developments. Basically just like at GCSE only in allot more depth, and there was generally allot more content (for example, at GCSE I filled 2 books in two years. At AS level I filled two and a bit books in one year.) Sometimes it did get boring, but imo that's only to be expected and it's the same with any subject. Overall I found it fun though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lidskoo)
    I'm sick of threads about GCSE's and AS Levels too but I don't know anyone who does AS Art and after repeatedly reading the course description I still don't know whether I want to take it up or not in September. In order for me to take it up I would have to drop the course History of Art and that's where I get lost as I don't want to drop a subject for a subject that i might end up dropping later on in the year.

What's AS art like?
    Is it hard?
    it's good, but you have to be dedicated as it's the most time consuming (of all my subjects at least)
    harder in that it requires more work and more analysing of art, but if you're naturally good at art you should be okay
    quite in that you're given a topic like surfaces or whatever to focus on, but again a lot more work

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.