Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know there's already a thread on equipment but I had slightly different questions to the ones raised in there. I wondered what equipment I should buy directly from the RVC right now and what I could buy when I get there. I know that:

1.) A lot of the clothing sizes are quite big and in men's sizes. I'm a size 6/8 so without trying on the clothes, I don't know whether I'd drown in the clothes, regardless of wearing x amount of jumpers underneath.
    2.) There is a little shop down the road from RVC that sells a lot of the clothing cheaper than RVC prices.
    3.) Some of the equipment is not necessary in the first and second years.

Does anyone on here already go to RVC and have any advice? I'm doing the Veterinary Medicine 5-year course. The deadline for orders through the RVC is 5th Sept :woo:.

:yep: Bundles of thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Ok here's the best advice I can give taking into account the fact that first year now seems like several lifetimes ago

The clothes sizes come up really big. I'm a size 12 top and 14 bottom, I got medium stuff and the trousers were plenty big enough while the top drowned me. So if you're very petite you'll need XS I would imagine. If the RVC don't sell stuff small enough then look elsewhere cos there's nothing more annoying than trying to do a practical job while swamped in clothing that doesn't fit.

If you can't afford a stethoscope then don't panic, you won't really need it til third year and they have ones you can borrow for ISF.

I found the RVC waterproof trousers really shoddy and flimsy and have been through several pairs since I started. I just kept ripping them climbing over fences and things. Find some really heavy duty ones in an outdoor clothing store or something, if needs be, spend as much money as you can afford - you WILL appreciate it come lambing time, especially if it's ****ty weather.

I personally think it's better to buy a short sleeved jumpsuit - the long sleeved ones are thicker and a lot of people find them quite cumbersome. Shorter sleeves give your arms a better range of movement, especially if you're putting your arm up inside a sheep or something, and you can always layer jumpers and jackets over the top to keep warm.

If you can find stuff cheaper, go for it. Nobody's going to come round with a checklist at any point, the list they send out is more stuff they recommend you have in case you need it. Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennybean)
    I found the RVC waterproof trousers really shoddy and flimsy and have been through several pairs since I started. I just kept ripping them climbing over fences and things. Find some really heavy duty ones in an outdoor clothing store or something, if needs be, spend as much money as you can afford - you WILL appreciate it come lambing time, especially if it's ****ty weather.
    ...I'd contest this. TBH you don't want to be spending that much on your kit because like it or not, it will get covered in all sorts of disgusting solids and fluids and it will get caught on barbed wire, chewed, sucked on, etc.

At the end of the day it is best to buy something cheap and just replace it every year, or every other year than putting an irreparable hole in your £100+ Goretex overtrousers. I don't know what RVC pedals but at Bris we use the Monsoon range of waterproofs (the ones you will see a lot of vets wearing), they are cheap (about £10-15 for a top or bottoms), but they will keep you clean and dry, plus, if after a year or two they're disgusting, or badly damaged, you just replace them for relatively little cost.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both - that's excellent and very helpful. Any idea about shoes?! I'm between 4, 5 and 6, depending on the shoe so not too keen to buy from RVC without trying them on to be honest. Is there anywhere that sells steel toe-capped wellies that you know of?

I'm not too worried about the stethoscope: I'm deaf and cannot use a normal stethoscope, so I think my Disability Students' Allowance will cover the cost of a visual and amplified one (ooh, I'm so excited about trying that out!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Que sera sera)
    Thank you both - that's excellent and very helpful. Any idea about shoes?! I'm between 4, 5 and 6, depending on the shoe so not too keen to buy from RVC without trying them on to be honest. Is there anywhere that sells steel toe-capped wellies that you know of?

I'm not too worried about the stethoscope: I'm deaf and cannot use a normal stethoscope, so I think my Disability Students' Allowance will cover the cost of a visual and amplified one (ooh, I'm so excited about trying that out!).
    Buy some normal green dunlop wellies from millets/blacks they are £9.99 and last. These will be great for your normal work experience. RVC (in all their wisdom) insist that you buy some steel toe capped wellies for cows/horses. They are sized very very wrong. And most people only wear them once or twice either buy them off a student second hand or order them but order a small size. I have a pair of size 4's for sale if you want them (going very cheap at whatever price you want to pay), they are technically a four but fit more like a 5. I am only a three and a half so have had to get some size threes (and i wear those with thick socks.)

I echo what jennybean has said about cheap waterproof trousers, you spend so much time on your knees in them buy some reasonably strong ones, not goretex but not the rubbish ones either.

I'm a similar size to you and all the RVC clothing absolutely drowns me so buy it elsewhere, then it may actually fit. But dont forget to always allow space for jumpers etc.

*edited for spelling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    ...I'd contest this. TBH you don't want to be spending that much on your kit because like it or not, it will get covered in all sorts of disgusting solids and fluids and it will get caught on barbed wire, chewed, sucked on, etc.

At the end of the day it is best to buy something cheap and just replace it every year, or every other year than putting an irreparable hole in your £100+ Goretex overtrousers. I don't know what RVC pedals but at Bris we use the Monsoon range of waterproofs (the ones you will see a lot of vets wearing), they are cheap (about £10-15 for a top or bottoms), but they will keep you clean and dry, plus, if after a year or two they're disgusting, or badly damaged, you just replace them for relatively little cost.
    Jesus H Christ, I don't mean spend £100 on waterproof trousers - I didn't even know they made waterproofs that sold for that much?! I mean spend £20-30 on good quality ones rather than the £9 rubbish ones that they sell at the RVC.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can spend that much on waterproofs! :p:

Id have to agree with you Jennybean, my Notts ones werent expensive but werent cheap but they have lasted through everything! Theyve been disinfected, snagged, chewed, covered in mouldy lamb juice and allsorts and after a quick wash theyre still as good as new!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all your advice - I really appreciate it. I'll look around for good waterproofs and other clothes. Not really sure how I give good feedback but I'll work it out!

ReputationRep:
    Im going to be doing ems at rvc at the equine hospital and they said i need to have 'sturdy boots but not wellies' anyone know what type would be best or where to get them? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    steel toe caps? try an outdoor shop or gardening centre, or failing that, is there a work supplies centre near you? like a place that sells machinery/clothing/equipment for workmen?

ReputationRep:
    where do i get boiler suits and waterproof (parlour) set other than from RVC?

ReputationRep:
    farmrite have parlour tops on there website and most farmers suppliers have trousers that are usually good quality without breaking the bank, oh just a word on farm rite the sizes are BIG so if your not sure go down!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)

What is the monsoon range? izit a brand? tq..

ReputationRep:
    shd the waterproof top be long sleeve / short ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackyLaw)
    What is the monsoon range? izit a brand? tq..
    Monsoon is a make, they do the cheap waterproofs that you'll see most vets and farm workers wearing. A quick google didn't yield any results but it might be worth checking out your local farm/outdoor supplier, at the very least you'll be able to pick up some cheap boiler suits and/or steels and/or wellies, maybe some good but cheap waterproofs as well.

Also ask for it all to be tax free (because they're for your occupation), otherwise most places will charge you VAT which you shouldn't have to pay.

(Original post by JackyLaw)
    shd the waterproof top be long sleeve / short ?
    Personally I prefer short sleeves, you don't have to continuously roll them up and/or roll them up as much. Plus they're less likely to get scuzzy, so less cleaning involved. However they won't keep you as warm when you're lambing or dairying, etc.

ReputationRep:
    what if you dont have a local farm/outdoor supplier?
    are there any in london?

ReputationRep:
    interent....

google work wear or something. Theirs hewats or something, they sell loads of stuff, like labcoats, saftey weillies, overalls, etc.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 3, 2008

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.