How do I cope in a city university if I have anxiety?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
So I am looking at universities and many of the univeristies I like are city universities. I have anxiety and it took ages for me to feel comfortable getting on a bus where I live, which is why I thought I wanted to go to a campus uni. But I like the idea of being in the city despite how I feel about travelling and finding my way to the buildings. How do I manage travelling on buses and getting on the tube if I get into a city university because thinking about that stuff freaks me out?
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think it's just something you get over and city and public transport becomes the new normal (speaking from moving from the countryside to central London)
leopard202
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I am looking at universities and many of the univeristies I like are city universities. I have anxiety and it took ages for me to feel comfortable getting on a bus where I live, which is why I thought I wanted to go to a campus uni. But I like the idea of being in the city despite how I feel about travelling and finding my way to the buildings. How do I manage travelling on buses and getting on the tube if I get into a city university because thinking about that stuff freaks me out?
The tube and bus are quite different. I can see how buses can give you anxiety, tubes are a bitter better though. Nobody really cares or pays attention to each other on the tube.

If you can get a place on campus great, eventually though in life you will have to face public transport so it's never too early to start familiarising yourself. Do some test runs at off peak times when it's very quiet, take some music or a stress ball or someone you're comfortable with. Stay for a long journey and people watch from a rear seat, realise they are just normal unthreatening people. If you get anxious, just stay until you calm down a bit and relax. Just enjoy the view, the ride. Then leave when you're ready.

It won't have been as bad as you thought
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by leopard202)
The tube and bus are quite different. I can see how buses can give you anxiety, tubes are a bitter better though. Nobody really cares or pays attention to each other on the tube.

If you can get a place on campus great, eventually though in life you will have to face public transport so it's never too early to start familiarising yourself. Do some test runs at off peak times when it's very quiet, take some music or a stress ball or someone you're comfortable with. Stay for a long journey and people watch from a rear seat, realise they are just normal unthreatening people. If you get anxious, just stay until you calm down a bit and relax. Just enjoy the view, the ride. Then leave when you're ready.

It won't have been as bad as you thought
thank you that's helpful
Mosaic4
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I suppose it depends which city universities you are looking at. Some you can still walk between accommodation and lecture buildings even when they are not on a campus.
Xarao
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm going to be blunt. If a bus is enough to freak you out...well you won't go far in university. Your best bet is something like Open University, where you wouldn't face as much such situations where you'd be freaked out.
Last edited by Xarao; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (55)
8.89%
Confident (81)
13.09%
Indifferent (89)
14.38%
Unsure (159)
25.69%
Worried (235)
37.96%

Watched Threads

Latest