The Student Room Group

Oxford or Cambridge for medicine?

I've been planning on applying to Cambridge for about a year now, but recently I've seen a lot of posts about how having 3 sciences in necessary. I know some colleges require 3 sciences but some do not, so I was wondering if instead of risking it, I should just apply to Oxford instead eventhough I personally prefer Cambridge? I do Biology, Chemistry and Psychology at A level and hopefully will be starting an EPQ soon.

Thank you:smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I've been planning on applying to Cambridge for about a year now, but recently I've seen a lot of posts about how having 3 sciences in necessary. I know some colleges require 3 sciences but some do not, so I was wondering if instead of risking it, I should just apply to Oxford instead eventhough I personally prefer Cambridge? I do Biology, Chemistry and Psychology at A level and hopefully will be starting an EPQ soon.

If you are eligible to apply for Cambridge you should go for it if that’s where you prefer. You have to go somewhere that will make you happiest. Especially if you’re doing a long course like medicine.
Reply 2
Original post by SusannaW
If you are eligible to apply for Cambridge you should go for it if that’s where you prefer. You have to go somewhere that will make you happiest. Especially if you’re doing a long course like medicine.

Thank you, I attend the online open days but I feel like it'd be pretty hard to judge where I'd be happier just from them
Original post by Anonymous

Yes you're right - applying to Cambridge with 2 sciences is a big risk. As they say on their website:

"Please note that in the past three admissions rounds, 95% of applicants for Medicine (A100) offered three or more science/mathematics A Levels and, of these, 25% were successful in obtaining a place. Of the 4% of applicants who offered only two science/mathematics A Levels, just 5% were successful in gaining a place."

HOWEVER actually Oxford is in itself more competitive with the highest applicants per offer of any uni. They also say:

"20% of applicants taking A-levels were studying Chemistry plus just one more science or maths subject. This compares with 11% of shortlisted applicants and 7% of those offered places."

If you consider that overall success rate is just 11.8%, that means you can calculate out the success rate with 2 sciences as 4.2%. So actually very similar to Cambridge.

This is based on one years data - in previous years Oxford has been slightly less competitive for those with 2 sciences, but the difference still small.

So pick either basically, but it'll be very hard either way! Definitely need to aim to get a great BMAT.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending