Anyone else scared of going to uni?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I will be moving all the way across country to go to uni (London to Edinburgh) I am really anxious about being on my own for the first time in my life. I am worried about how I will cope and I doubt I will be able to come home due to the cost, which much which adds to my worry.

I know everyone else is in the same boat but that doesn't comfort me in any way whatsoever.
elliebon
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
i fully understand how you feel, it's pretty daunting. but you don't have to worry, you won't be stuck there at all, it's not a prison cell
you never know, you could flourish!
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I will be moving all the way across country to go to uni (London to Edinburgh) I am really anxious about being on my own for the first time in my life. I am worried about how I will cope and I doubt I will be able to come home due to the cost, which much which adds to my worry.

I know everyone else is in the same boat but that doesn't comfort me in any way whatsoever.
Everyone is nervous. Its natural.

You are moving from an environment you know, understand and are secure, to a place you'll be more self reliant, responsible for surviving by yourself.

Unfortunatly the nerves wont go away until you get to uni, but once you arrive you'll relise its actually quite empowering learning to live without parents propping you up. You'll mature and develop whilst going through an unbelievably great experience setting you up for adulthood.
howisladypole
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
There won't be one person on Earth who hasn't had SOME kind of reservations or nervousness. Everyone else is in the same boat and you'll soon meet friends who can support you and you them!
mike23mike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Edinburgh is a top uni and a great city to be a student. There are lots of unis in and around Edinburgh (Napier, Herriot-Watt, Edinburgh etc) so student life is amazing. It's also a very cosmopolitan student city, lots of toffs and international students so it's almost as cosmopolitan as London. Yes its a 5-hour train journey back to London so I doubt you will be going back home often. However, student life is amazing in Edinburgh and so many people come up from England to study there you will not feel out of place. Wish I was going!
username4335208
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

omg i am praying i don't have to move out!! i really wana stay in manchester!
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Hi!

It is completely understandable that you are nervous and it probably won't be easy at first. But remember, so many people at Edinburgh will be in the exact same situation at you! You aren't alone I know it is easier said than done but try to think about the positive aspects such as, your accommodation (if its nice and you like it), the city, the course, the opportunity to have more freedom and make new friends etc. I know the distance is long but if you think about it, there is always somewhere further away which you could have gone Instead of feeling trapped as though you will never be able to come home, think about how maybe you will be able to come home but won't want to because you have so many things planned at Uni etc. I hope this helps and best of luck!

Erin - Official Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (56)
9.02%
Confident (81)
13.04%
Indifferent (89)
14.33%
Unsure (159)
25.6%
Worried (236)
38%

Watched Threads

Latest