Is it possible to get rejected from a masters?

Watch
hollyoaks678
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
The uni I’ve applied to requires a 2:1 ( doesn’t specify a percentage) I’m pretty confident my personal statement was good and I have ( although not confirmed yet) have achieved a 2:1 but I’m just still worried I might not be offered a place? It’s not oxford or Cambridge but is still a good uni. Haven’t specified which one for personal reasons.
lanz972
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yep it’s possible! I just got rejected from a msc course last week and I had all the requirements. It is frustrating because all they said was that the course had many applicants and competition was high. I didn’t even think the course would have had that many applicants but there u go. It sucks really but I hope you have a better outcome! And you don’t know what happens til they actually make the final decision so have faith!
hollyoaks678
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by lanz972)
Yep it’s possible! I just got rejected from a msc course last week and I had all the requirements. It is frustrating because all they said was that the course had many applicants and competition was high. I didn’t even think the course would have had that many applicants but there u go. It sucks really but I hope you have a better outcome! And you don’t know what happens til they actually make the final decision so have faith!
Oh god that does suck sorry to hear! Yeah I haven’t heard back yet it’s taken ages which I think might be a bad sign but there’s always next year lol!
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by hollyoaks678)
The uni I’ve applied to requires a 2:1 ( doesn’t specify a percentage) I’m pretty confident my personal statement was good and I have ( although not confirmed yet) have achieved a 2:1 but I’m just still worried I might not be offered a place? It’s not oxford or Cambridge but is still a good uni. Haven’t specified which one for personal reasons.
Yes it’s possible to get rejected.
It completely depends on the course and how competitive it is & how suitable a candidate you are.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi, I've moved your thread to the Postgraduate Applications forum since it ended up in the University of Cambridge forum
lanz972
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Does anyone know if postgrad courses favour people who studied undergrad at the same uni?
Man I'm struggling as to how to proceed from this rejection
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Does anyone know if postgrad courses favour people who studied undergrad at the same uni?
I don't think they do (as that wouldn't be fair on other applicants), so you might as well keep applying to different places and hope for the best. Maybe try universities that aren't so competitive too, so you have a mix of 'rankings' in there.
GabiAbi84
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It’s certainly a possibility. Some undergrad programmes have “guaranteed masters places” as part of their selling points. Plus those applying to their same uni have an advantage as they know the staff/system. It doesn’t mean that a less qualified person would be taken but it can give a home advantage.
Were you given any feedback on your application or any contact info if you wanted to find out why? It could be that you’re missing something from your resume that they were looking for, or it could just be that there were stronger candidates this time around. Some Masters programs are highly competitive-others less so.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you want Freshers' Fairs to work this year?

Completely online (9)
14.52%
A mix of in-person and online options (9)
14.52%
As many in-person events as is safe to do (38)
61.29%
I don't plan on attending a Freshers' Fair (6)
9.68%

Watched Threads