Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite looking forward to seeing our opening ceremony. I can't think who'd they get in to sing though. Take That? Ugh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHAMON)
    Isn't that the chinese girl that was miming
    Lol!

I see the BBC now have a video of Boris' pingpong speech - I've also transcribe the key parts of it. Click for the Boris Johnson Ping Pong's Coming Home speech.

ReputationRep:
    It should also be noted that we are also proud of our modern history, so we don't HAVE to exclude it xD

ReputationRep:
    watch this
    from 7.11
    its hilarious (and on topic)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJEH9...eature=related

ReputationRep:
    We'll be hosting the Olympics for the first time in 64 years and all I see people do is whine and complain about how it will be crap. It would be nice if the country had some optimism, otherwise we don't deserve the event.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get it.Isn't this supposed to be Manchester's proud heritage?

Furious row over Hindley portrait shown in London 2012 video

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob801)
    WTF? Why can't people actually accept that we can put on a good ceremony. Were you watching through "pessimist glasses" that a lot of Brits seem to wear? Did you not hear the crowd's reaction or see how much the audience were enjoying our section? No?
    In the words of Bill Bailey.

"I'm English, therefore I crave disappointment."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitaltoast)
    Lol!

I see the BBC now have a video of Boris' pingpong speech - I've also transcribe the key parts of it. Click for the Boris Johnson Ping Pong's Coming Home speech.
    Actually I caught it on the TV, and I hate to admit it, but he's quite witty and I'm starting to like him. :eek: His gaff about Ping Pong on dining room tables, whilst the rest were eating on them. Funny.

GB made a good speech too. Made me happy. For once all untited and not doom and gloom about data lost, stabbings etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ununpentium)
    I'm quite looking forward to seeing our opening ceremony. I can't think who'd they get in to sing though. Take That? Ugh!
    Macca, Elton, Bowie, George Micheal, Sting, Annie Lennox - If they wanted too.

ReputationRep:
    sure we have culuture - although a lot of it is an embarassment

the question is how do we prtray it i nthe way the hcinese did?? tea on the green??!?! lol

just give everyone some alcohol for binge drinking and be done with it.

ReputationRep:
    2012 is gonna be such a flop compared to this olympics..... we might as well just save the embarasement and let them do it again. lol

ReputationRep:
    The BBC commentators commented that it was a very made for TV spectacle but in reality some problems were evident, i.e empty seats

I think we will end up with big queuing problems, expensive food/drink and worst of all i bet the transport system gets totally ****ed

on the other hand we will probably have a much better olympic atmosphere throughout the country - as the BBC guys said i bet it wasnt that gerat in china where teh avg man probably doesnt care about the olympics whereas i think it will be a much more accepted thing in the uk like the world cup

(Original post by Green Ray)
    2012 is gonna be such a flop compared to this olympics..... we might as well just save the embarasement and let them do it again. lol
    Stop being so defeatist!

If everyone is going to moan and not bother to support the olympics then yes it might be an embarrasment because the nation won't be behind it. At this rate we will become known as the nation that didn't care about hosting the olympics

Oh well all the more tickets for me then seeing as everyone doesn't seem to care

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    ....whereas i think it will be a much more accepted thing in the uk like the world cup
    I think it'll be a nice atmosphere;I can see the whole of Europe coming down and have a party...Unless Al Qaeda decides to bomb us during the fortnight,the whole thing will pass off swimmingly.

ReputationRep:
    *puts on imaginary hat*

I hope they have some sort of huge battle within the stadium, with knights and cavalry and stuff... or maybe elizabethan with Queen Elizabeth (history link ), and then the torch bearer going through that (like his side is winning) and theatrically lighting the big fire thing (thus winning a very theatrical battle in a huge blaze of glory... fireworks, the whole shabang!) :P

Ok... not likely/no... but i can dream... *sniff*
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Whilst the people of China have not been allowed to have fun or interact with the games other than how they are told, London 2012 will be a fantastic way of hopefully bringing people together. If only the pessimists would shut up, for one minute

ReputationRep:
    theres nothing wrong with being a pessemist when

1) you know how gash we are

2) you are trying to better one of the greatest spectacles of all time

it is pretty obvious the uk wont try soemthing liek that which requires tight organisation - instead it will be much more low key

ReputationRep:
    For our opening ceremony, can we just get Clarkson to drive a Rolls-Royce through some ribbon into the new Olympic Swimming Pool?

ReputationRep:
    GARGH WTF was with that bloody section???

IS THE BEST OUR NATION CAN COME UP WITH A BLOODY BUS???

A THOUSAND YEARS OF HISTORY AN WE ARE REPRESENTED BY A BUS AND A ZEBRA CROSSING?!?!

lol rant over but you see my point! we have got to find a better icon, because a red bus only applies to london anyway, i mean i dont give a flying ******* about the peasantwaggon in newcastle, it gets me from a to b, and lollipop people can go to hell! what about the cool things weve done?? people on boats with funny hats? james bond? medieval shizzle?

wtf did david beckham ever do? and wtf was that song? they could have at least done something recognisable like we will rock you!!

However i didnt feel so sick after the welcoming party back in london as it showed we can actually put on a good show and not so soggy, modern crap about how contemporary we are...

ReputationRep:
    I was personally waiting for Boris Johnson to announce a good ol' Binge as a special event for Olympics 2012...lmfao

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.