Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happydinosaur)
    It was about representing a modern image of Britain. They used iconic images of our country that are well known across the globe. You might see the red bus as just another part of Londons everyday transport but to the rest of the world I'm sure its something else. Why else would large groups of French kids fight over a red bus pencil sharpner at Dover ferry ternimal! Umbrellas, zebra crossings and lollipop people are symbols of Britain and were used in a fun contemporary way to introduce Britain. As another poster has mentioned going to the closing ceremony of the Olympics with fire and over the top medieaval stuff would have been wrong. It wasn't the time to undermine China's efforts and also is it really the best way to represent Britain. China went down the history route but why do we have to follow? A celebration of modern britain might be just what our reputation needs when the mass media rants on about obeseity. binge drinking and knife attacks.

The opening ceremony needs to showcase our performative and creative talents. The Chinese picked the best of thiers by using acrobats and opera. We will hopefully use ours to create an equally spectacular but very different Olympics.
    But its soooo cheesy! We need history, we should be proud of it and showcase it. We were probably one of the most important groups of little countries in the world. Imo a showcase of our armies' triumph and what we gave to the world is good. Then we can return to the present.

ReputationRep:
    mo a showcase of our armies' triumph and what we gave to the world is good
    I don't think the majority of the countries involved would appreciate a celebraton of the Empire, whatever your opinions on it maybe.

ReputationRep:
    I found the 8 minute segment pretty funny, esp the very fact that it reiterated some of the most basic stereotypes about London/England - read: the umbrellas, the red bus (so coincidentally apt right, seeing that the symbolic colour for communism is also red), and Mr. Beckham (whose 'silent' appearance i personally found very lame, but did induce some loud screams from around my neighbourhood). Nevermind that it also always rains in Paris, the umbrellas HAD to be there ! Oh and I bet the guy who caught Beckham's ball is auctioning it online at an outrageous price this very minute

I'll most definitely be going to London in 2012, NOT expecting to see something better than Beijing, but something DIFFERENT. I'll also be looking out for Tom Daley LOL he's such a cute little diving prodigy Now that's something the British should rightfully be proud of :P

(Original post by Soylent Green)
    But its soooo cheesy! We need history, we should be proud of it and showcase it. We were probably one of the most important groups of little countries in the world. Imo a showcase of our armies' triumph and what we gave to the world is good. Then we can return to the present.
    Very diplomatic :rolleyes: So what you are suggesting is a performance for the rest of the world boasting about how we used to be powerful and beat them. I doubt that would go down too well. Plus where would we draw the line on history, take it you aren't suggesting we throw in those wars fresh in the minds of the world. Celebrating an Empire with those we once colonised hardly seems a very nice thing to do.

Why should we ignore who we are as a nation now? History is important but why pretend we are all about medieaval battles and the tudors when our culture now is something we should be proud of.

ReputationRep:
    Don't know if this has been posted, but this speech by Boris is great :P

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7580165.stm

Personally I can't wait for the 2012 games, and I'm not the sort of person who is interested in sport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    I found the ceremony quite embarrassing. Thought it was shameful that essentially, we were just showing off a few celebrities; and not even talented ones.
    Not particularly talented??? Jimmy Page- a world-wide rock legend, Leona Lewis- fantastic voice, world-wide success and started from nothing in East London, David Beckham- one of the best footballers of all time.

Who would you have had instead?

Hopefully 2012 will be a bit different, but those 8 minutes made me ashamed to be British, if that's what's seen as the best of us. If the whole ceremony is like that in 2012, that embarrassment will be immensely increased.
    Funny, I' not at all patriotic, but those 8 minutes, and the successes of our athletes at these games has made me feel incredibly patriotic. I just hope the games in 2012 keep the British sense of fun and humour presented here and don't show any regimented crap!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happydinosaur)
    It was about representing a modern image of Britain. They used iconic images of our country that are well known across the globe. You might see the red bus as just another part of Londons everyday transport but to the rest of the world I'm sure its something else. Why else would large groups of French kids fight over a red bus pencil sharpner at Dover ferry ternimal! Umbrellas, zebra crossings and lollipop people are symbols of Britain and were used in a fun contemporary way to introduce Britain. As another poster has mentioned going to the closing ceremony of the Olympics with fire and over the top medieaval stuff would have been wrong. It wasn't the time to undermine China's efforts and also is it really the best way to represent Britain. China went down the history route but why do we have to follow? A celebration of modern britain might be just what our reputation needs when the mass media rants on about obeseity. binge drinking and knife attacks.

The opening ceremony needs to showcase our performative and creative talents. The Chinese picked the best of thiers by using acrobats and opera. We will hopefully use ours to create an equally spectacular but very different Olympics.
    but you have to admit it was a tad "WOWOWOWOWOOW boom...mundane..." it was a stark contrast from the spectacle of the chinese ceremony to a bunch of people with brollies standing in the rain waiting for a bus...

is it really the best way to represent us? mundane triviality that doesnt even apply to the whole country??? good for london! everone has brollies and waits for buses! WOOP were sooooo mint innit? And since when are lollipop ladies the symbol of modern britian? most motorist just think their stupid old people on a power trip!

yadda yadda yadda we have a sense of humor innit? thats like the worst cop out ever, we know we cant compete so were like the thick kid at the back of the class who looks at the kid with mint grades and says "wey at least iv got a life". What does it count for? do other nations not laugh? is that really all weve got?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyhelicopter)
    Not particularly talented??? Jimmy Page- a world-wide rock legend, Leona Lewis- fantastic voice, world-wide success and started from nothing in East London, David Beckham- one of the best footballers of all time.

Funny, I' not at all patriotic, but those 8 minutes, and the successes of our athletes at these games has made me feel incredibly patriotic. I just hope the games in 2012 keep the British sense of fun and humour presented here and don't show any regimented crap!
    the success of our atheletes was amazing and it did indeed make me very patriotic, but the 8 minutes just showed how pathetic we have become in trying to avoid being compared to the chinese. The london welcome party was much better at least we could be proud of our nation back on home soil...

the celebs were a tad rubbish... led zepplin were good yes, but hardly iconic say like queen, and leona lewis couldnt sing led zepplin for shizzle, its just not her style. David beckham best ever footballer?!?!? youve got to be kidding me, though he is more acceptable as a worldwide icon especially in the far east. The song WTF was that??? i didnt even recognise it when i was listening to it! hardly an iconic song everyone would sing along to an recognise, again when compared to we will rock you played in london...

ReputationRep:

Jimmy Page I would say has talent. However, I don't think Leona Lewis has a particularly great voice compared to some other English singers, and David Beckham isn't the best footballer, as I've said earlier; just the most publicised.

I think avoiding celebrities would've been a far better bet. There's drama, music, art, literature, and some incredible technology and inventions for England to be proud of, and some of the best of those aren't published in 'Hello' magazine every few weeks. I just believe Britain took the very easy, American way out - showing off things that it shouldn't be particularly proud of to get a temporary kick out of the audience, rather than taking the opportunity to show the real depths of Britain, things other countries don't often think about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soylent Green)
    Imo a showcase of our armies' triumph and what we gave to the world is good. Then we can return to the present.
    Keep armed forces and any kind if political force out of the Olympics. The soliders in Beijing stirred up some very bad associations.

ReputationRep:
    Well, Brian May and Catherine Jenkins would have been a marked improvement. Beckham is loved in asia so I guess it made sense for him to be there, but he never was the best footballer in either the Real Madrid or Manchester United teams he played for let alone one of the best footballers of all time. His talent was vastly overblown to try and fit his celebrity and now he is in semi-retirement in the states no-one cares anymore.

Of course it was clear by the choice that we in the provinces were being sent a statement - 'this is London's games, not Britain's'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nintendus)
    Don't know if this has been posted, but this speech by Boris is great :P

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7580165.stm

Personally I can't wait for the 2012 games, and I'm not the sort of person who is interested in sport.
    Does he have a British flag pin?! That must be a first for a British politician - ever.

ReputationRep:
    hmm that is a problem because our history has been one of conquest since the year dot, but that doesnt stop us visiting different aspects of our past, our seafaring history, dickens, shakespeare, medieval shizzle, tudor shizzle, elizabethan shizzle, victorian shizzle, how mint we are at singing acting dancing etc. not a flippin bus!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curiouslyorange1989)
    the success of our atheletes was amazing and it did indeed make me very patriotic, but the 8 minutes just showed how pathetic we have become in trying to avoid being compared to the chinese. The london welcome party was much better at least we could be proud of our nation back on home soil...
    The london party was longer than 8 minutes though

the celebs were a tad rubbish... led zepplin were good yes, but hardly iconic say like queen, and leona lewis couldnt sing led zepplin for shizzle, its just not her style.
    Led Zepplin are iconic, granted I prefer queen, but at least we got music rather than Pop. Leona wasn't necessarily the best choice for singing but she did OK and was more aesthetically appealing than say Johnny Rotten.

David beckham best ever footballer?!?!? youve got to be kidding me, though he is more acceptable as a worldwide icon especially in the far east.
    I thought he was considered one of the best, anyway, he's a worldwide celebrity who everyone would recognise

The song WTF was that??? i didnt even recognise it when i was listening to it! hardly an iconic song everyone would sing along to an recognise, again when compared to we will rock you played in london...
    Song did make me wonder, we will rock you would have been a far better choice, but maybe Brian May was busy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Well, Brian May and Catherine Jenkins would have been a marked improvement. Beckham is loved in asia so I guess it made sense for him to be there, but he never was the best footballer in either the Real Madrid or Manchester United teams he played for let alone one of the best footballers of all time. His talent was vastly overblown to try and fit his celebrity and now he is in semi-retirement in the states no-one cares anymore.

Of course it was clear by the choice that we in the provinces were being sent a statement - 'this is London's games, not Britain's'.
    lol for once we agree

it really did say nothing to me whatsoever! i had no affinity with what was shown as they were purely london icons, rather than representing us as a nation, they represented a single city as if we all didnt exist.

if i found little in common with it as an englander, imagine how the scots an welsh must be taking it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curiouslyorange1989)
    our seafaring history, dickens, shakespeare, medieval shizzle, tudor shizzle, elizabethan shizzle, victorian shizzle, how mint we are at singing acting dancing etc. not a flippin bus!!!!!!
    I am sure they will include a majority of those elements in the opening ceremony in 2012. There is only so much you can do with 'modern' Britain in terms of a 2.5h opening ceremony.

ReputationRep:
    I think avoiding celebrities would've been a far better bet. There's drama, music, art, literature, and some incredible technology and inventions for England to be proud of, and some of the best of those aren't published in 'Hello' magazine every few weeks. I just believe Britain took the very easy, American way out - showing off things that it shouldn't be particularly proud of to get a temporary kick out of the audience, rather than taking the opportunity to show the real depths of Britain, things other countries don't often think about.
    How exactly would you have shown this in 8 minutes? Surely it is better to go for the instantly recognisable wow factor. Then save the other stuff for 2012

ReputationRep:
    If they save the other stuff for 2012, then fine. However, I can see it being more of the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Well, Brian May and Catherine Jenkins would have been a marked improvement.
    Can't argue against Brian May, but teamed with Catherine Jenkins???

Unless I'm missing something the games are being hosted in London, they are London's games. I'm sure in 2012 there will be more involvement from other areas, but they are London's games

ReputationRep:
    If they save the other stuff for 2012, then fine. However, I can see it being more of the same.
    Again how much 'modernity' do you think you can possible squeeze into 2.5h there is only a finite amount of stuff that actually fits into a presentation of Britain in terms of the modern way of life.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.