Turn on thread page Beta

How embarrassing will 2012 be for Great Britain? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyhelicopter)
    The olympic committee don't need to see past the M25, the games are awarded to London! There may be a couple of venues outside the M25, but the the games have been awarded to London
    Yet you're expecting not only people to pay for them through their tax money, but even national lottery money, which would otherwise go to good causes throughout the country, to be diverted there by the millions?

I'm afraid it is down to the Olympic authorities to justify why the rest of the country should be paying that - and if it isn't a UK event, then perhaps we can just have the Londoners pay us back: an extra few pence on your income tax perhaps...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Yet you're expecting not only people to pay for them through their tax money, but even national lottery money, which would otherwise go to good causes throughout the country, to be diverted there by the millions?
    Some money will be diverted from good causes, not all the money and there are specific games to increase funding for the olympics

I'm afraid it is down to the Olympic authorities to justify why the rest of the country should be paying that - and if it isn't a UK event, then perhaps we can just have the Londoners pay us back: an extra few pence on your income tax perhaps...
    Londoners are already paying more council tax etc to fund the games. And as they are in the south have for years had their taxes going North to fund development, maybe we should all ask nicely for you to pay us back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curiouslyorange1989)
    tis not about deserts, its about inclusion. i couldnt give two hoots where gets regenerated, as the government gives everywhere money, i just want to feel part of the games which are taking place in my country rather than simply in one city at the very bottom which seems to think its the centre of the universe...
    You don't care, no, but the thousands of people living there do :rolleyes:

And again, you don't seem to understand how the Olympic games work. They are not meant to be a country wide event, hence CITIES bidding for them.

Just because it is not a Country wide event however does NOT mean that the entire country cannot benefit as a result of the games being held in said country.

P.S. like it or not London is the capitol of the United Kingdom, coupled with the fact that it is an important international city (in terms of business) means that it will have a lot of emphasis and time allocated to it. Capitol cities generally are like that.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=crazyhelicopter]Some money will be diverted from good causes, not all the money and there are specific games to increase funding for the olympics

So? It's still a massive sum, and the majority of it is coming out of the general pot.

Londoners are already paying more council tax etc to fund the games. And as they are in the south have for years had their taxes going North to fund development, maybe we should all ask nicely for you to pay us back
    The South already gets funding from ordinary taxes based on its economic needs, just as the North. This is over and above that.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if the Chinese had such titles and threads about how ''embarrassing'' 2008 Olympics would be for them! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeNextPirate)
    You don't care, no, but the thousands of people living there do :rolleyes:

And again, you don't seem to understand how the Olympic games work. They are not meant to be a country wide event, hence CITIES bidding for them.

Just because it is not a Country wide event however does NOT mean that the entire country cannot benefit as a result of the games being held in said country.

P.S. like it or not London is the capitol of the United Kingdom, coupled with the fact that it is an important international city (in terms of business) means that it will have a lot of emphasis and time allocated to it. Capitol cities generally are like that.
    ya thats my point it is the captiol of the united kingdom, not its own island nation and unless im mistaken wasnt it a nationwide initiative to try and make london the olympic city? i dont recall it competing against edinburgh and liverpool for the title...

to try and separate the city from the nation is simply ludicrous as it simply isnt true in practice. We didnt suddenly think oh well its not china hosting its simply bejing and the same is true for london!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyhelicopter)
    The olympic committee don't need to see past the M25, the games are awarded to London! There may be a couple of venues outside the M25, but the the games have been awarded to London
    But I have to pay tax to support it, yep, that's fair...

That doesn't tell you anything about peoples views of the rest of the country, it tells you about the poverty in some areas of London.
    Yes, all those poor people from London I met back-packing in New Zealand and SE Asia. One girl first saw a cow in Brazil!

Wont cost more, the infrastructure is mostly already in place. It will have a huge impact in the East End but I'm assuming you've never been there so, as with most Northerners, will just argue that the South is rich, and doesn't deserve the games
    What infrastructure? There are major transportation development still to be made in London. I have seen the East End and it needs support, it doesn't need an Olympic games to get that support, however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4321234)
    In the world's view, the British Empire is not something to be fondly remembered and showcasing it in the opening ceremony would be extremely arrogant and naive.
    Have some pride, will you. Its not like we turned the countries we colonised into such a wreck that they will be deemed inhospitable for the next 1000 years.

ReputationRep:
    ya thats my point it is the captiol of the united kingdom, not its own island nation and unless im mistaken wasnt it a nationwide initiative to try and make london the olympic city? i dont recall it competing against edinburgh and liverpool for the title...
    Pleaase look into the Olympic bidding process you clearly do not understand it.

First cities from a country submit their bids to the countries own olympic committee, then they decide which is the best. After that the winning cities bid is submitted to the IOC.

Every city in the United Kingdom had the opportunity to bid, it is not London's fault that they did not win.

to try and separate the city from the nation is simply ludicrous as it simply isnt true in practice. We didnt suddenly think oh well its not china hosting its simply bejing and the same is true for london!
    What are you on about?

I have been the one saying that positive impacts on London ripple through the entire UK. However, London is the Olympic host, and as a result the majority of the activity will take place in London. It has nothing to do with London being a vital part of the UK. If Edinburgh had won the Olympic games the same would be said.
    And Beijing did host the games, how much of China did you see outside of Beijing :rolleyes: ....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Yes, all those poor people from London I met back-packing in New Zealand and SE Asia. One girl first saw a cow in Brazil
    How ignorant are you?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.