The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
x01
Well after that embarrassing handover ceremony what felt like 8 minutes of complete and utter **** compared to what the Chinese can do, I can’t say that I have much hope for London in 2012. :no:

We are creative - in 2012 you will what you have not seen before. I am sure it will fantastic on its own right - have faith in yourself.
Reply 21
x01
I was actually looking quite forwards to their 8 minute involvement in the closing ceremony. But how disappointed I was. And yes I think it is possible but very unlikely based on that can you honestly say that you felt no embarrassment after or during watching it.

I have absolutely no embarrassment after watching it because we put on a performance that the crowds enjoyed. Is that not the whole point of a performance? Who cares if we take the p*ss out of ourselves in it (look at the Ausies in their 8 min section in 96 with the Kangaroos)? The London bus was great as it's an iconic image of London. David Beckham was good as he's a worldwide sporting icon, and is loved in China (as you could tell from the chinese bloke's exciting at getting the football). The umbrellas are another thing people associate with England because of varied weather. It's not all about bigging up your own country and making some stupid Political message b*llocks in your Opening ceremony. It's all about pleasing the crowd and putting on a good show, and that's what we did.
Reply 22
Ramadulla
I heard that the world's going to end in December 2012? So we won't suffer long :p:

Yeah I thought it was 2012 too. My theory is that someone will nuke our Olympic Stadium as an extreme protest.
Reply 23
I think it'll be great, we'll put on a different type of show certainly. However, I'm not sure a really huge flashy China style one suits our culture too well anyway.

:yep:
Reply 24
After seeing how a lot of people are already saying how ***** the Opening Ceremony will be I reckon we should just have a grumpy old bloke walk in to the stadium (which will obviously be a building site still :rolleyes:) and stand in the middle saying how Britain is ***** and our weather is ***** and we can't do anything well so we're *****.
Reply 25
x01
Well after that embarrassing handover ceremony what felt like 8 minutes of complete and utter **** compared to what the Chinese can do, I can’t say that I have much hope for London in 2012. :no:

shut up, be positive until the actual olympics have even taken place.. I'd like to see you organise an eight minute segment on a tight budget several thousand miles from home. I seem to remember the Australians bouncing in on space hoppers in their handover, then hosting the best Olympics ever?
Reply 26
I found the ceremony quite embarrassing. Thought it was shameful that essentially, we were just showing off a few celebrities; and not even talented ones.
The Beijing ceremony presented culture and talent, we presented cheap, tacky celebrities.
Hopefully 2012 will be a bit different, but those 8 minutes made me ashamed to be British, if that's what's seen as the best of us. If the whole ceremony is like that in 2012, that embarrassment will be immensely increased.
Reply 27
****! What the ****!
People who say that handover ceremony was crap are ****ing stupid! Yes, you, person who started the thread.
This ceremony was good and promising.
Chinese were amazing! But who said it will be worse in London. It is definitely not going to be the same. But not in the way which will make it worse, just different. Different countries, different cultures and values = different!
Reply 28
At least nothing that be worse than that godawful logo. Someone was actually PAID to design that.
Im looking forward to 2012, i think it will be an opportunity for Britain and London to show the world just what we are capable of without spending Billions and Billions of pounds on computer generated fireworks.
I will be in London to see the 2012 games, and i intend to enjoy it being held in Britain.
Reply 30
And well done to GB for 19 Gold medals!
Hopefully in four years time we will have better technology, so we can put on a spectacular and fun bash. And we might even match the Chinese, though not in the dictatorship vibe category.:yep:
Reply 32
Rob801
I have absolutely no embarrassment after watching it because we put on a performance that the crowds enjoyed. Is that not the whole point of a performance? Who cares if we take the p*ss out of ourselves in it (look at the Ausies in their 8 min section in 96 with the Kangaroos)? The London bus was great as it's an iconic image of London. David Beckham was good as he's a worldwide sporting icon, and is loved in China (as you could tell from the chinese bloke's exciting at getting the football). The umbrellas are another thing people associate with England because of varied weather. It's not all about bigging up your own country and making some stupid Political message b*llocks in your Opening ceremony. It's all about pleasing the crowd and putting on a good show, and that's what we did.

Not particularly amazing though.
Let's wait and see,shall we?
cpj1987
I found the ceremony quite embarrassing. Thought it was shameful that essentially, we were just showing off a few celebrities; and not even talented ones.
The Beijing ceremony presented culture and talent, we presented cheap, tacky celebrities.
Hopefully 2012 will be a bit different, but those 8 minutes made me ashamed to be British, if that's what's seen as the best of us. If the whole ceremony is like that in 2012, that embarrassment will be immensely increased.

Who ever said that an olympic ceremony (an 8 minute one at that) has to show the best of Britain. Also, who are you to judge talent? I don't really follow football but any idiot knows David Beckham is incredibly talented at football.

Even if it was embarrassingly bad (I didn't watch it as I'm not obssessed with judging things based on largely irrelevent ceremonies), why would it make you embarrassed to be British?
The Chinese had weeks to put together a longer ceremony on home soil, putting the materials in and stuff. We had to take something at shorter notice halfway around the world and then only had eight minutes to pack it into. Some of the stuff we did we had no choice over, and had to work around that. That said, the Chinese opening and closing ceremonies are going to be much better than anything we're capable of doing. I doubt it'll be massively embarrassing for us though - other nations will recognise that no-one could live up to that and as long as we do something cheerful and fun things will be good.

I can't wait for the games to come to London. :biggrin:
sigstuff
My theory is that someone will nuke our Olympic Stadium as an extreme protest.

Aha, that happened in Spooks: Code 9
callum9999
Who ever said that an olympic ceremony (an 8 minute one at that) has to show the best of Britain. Also, who are you to judge talent? I don't really follow football but any idiot knows David Beckham is incredibly talented at football.

Even if it was embarrassingly bad (I didn't watch it as I'm not obssessed with judging things based on largely irrelevent ceremonies), why would it make you embarrassed to be British?
Well said.

They (the London committee) have already stressed that they will not creating something as big as Beijing did... we know they didn't exactly do it all be the rule book now did they.

London 2012 will be excellent, I have every faith in our country.

However if there was something I did think they have already done wrong, it's that stupid logo!
Reply 37
Haha Boris! Bless him....did anyone else see princess anne pissing herself laughing in the crowd! haha

The Brits will be kooky, however seen as 2012 has stolen all of the funding from various UK art foundations/charities I don't think we should be heralding the organisers artistic merit in 2012...because whatever is put on then will be at the expense of arts projects across the UK over the decade prior.
Reply 38
Student2806
Couldn't help laugh at Boris though with that salute he gave.

I liked that touch. Clearly Boris is still Boris despite the sedative effects of power.
Man, just shut up..

Our 8 minutes was great and we're going to have a fantastic opening ceremony. I thought what they did was fun and the crowds went wild over it.

Latest

Trending

Trending