Undecided: Lancaster or York?

Watch
BenedettaaRi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi all!
I’ve been offered a place at Lancaster University, for Politics and International Relations. I was very happy because the uni itself gave me a certain feeling..idk🤨. Lately, I’ve been considering the Adjustment Process to try to get into the University of York, because it just feels like a bigger and more respected university, with an international reputation. Idk why, but I became unsure about Lancaster because I’m afraid I will get bored and not stimulated by the town... and I’m also afraid that Lancaster Is not such a renowned uni and may not project me to a future career with a solid grounding, and also many people don’t actually know about this uni’s existence! Both the courses are extremely interesting, the uni of Lancaster is beautiful (so I heard and saw online)... Moreover the uni of York offers many study-abroad programmes (even just for the summer) in places where Lancaster doesn’t and it is part of Russel Group (even if Lancaster is above York in the rankings). I don’t really know if it is worth it to try adjusting to York ... please send some help!😖
Ghostlady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
My daughter applied to both and had offers for a different subject. Yes York is bigger when you take the area between Heslington west and east, but collectively they are about the same. I wouldn't say that one is more respective over the other. Sure 1 is russell group and the other is not, but lancs is more higher in uni rankings. What uni gave you the' feels' the most? Remember its got to be a place where your happy in and where your heart is
mike23mike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by BenedettaaRi)
Hi all!
I’ve been offered a place at Lancaster University, for Politics and International Relations. I was very happy because the uni itself gave me a certain feeling..idk🤨. Lately, I’ve been considering the Adjustment Process to try to get into the University of York, because it just feels like a bigger and more respected university, with an international reputation. Idk why, but I became unsure about Lancaster because I’m afraid I will get bored and not stimulated by the town... and I’m also afraid that Lancaster Is not such a renowned uni and may not project me to a future career with a solid grounding, and also many people don’t actually know about this uni’s existence! Both the courses are extremely interesting, the uni of Lancaster is beautiful (so I heard and saw online)... Moreover the uni of York offers many study-abroad programmes (even just for the summer) in places where Lancaster doesn’t and it is part of Russel Group (even if Lancaster is above York in the rankings). I don’t really know if it is worth it to try adjusting to York ... please send some help!😖
Both are highly rated universities - even if Lancaster is not a RG uni. Over the last decade, Lancaster has made a real effort to develop some of the best departments around so it is as highly regarded as York.

Lancaster is a campus uni and one can get a little stir crazy being stuck on the same campus for 3 years. York city is lovely in its own right and Leeds is only a 20-minute train ride away so you would not feel as cut off if you went to York.
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by BenedettaaRi)
Hi all!
Hi BenedettaaRi,
I'm currently a student at Lancaster and I'm happy to help you if you have any questions.
I think your concern is normal since Lancaster is quite a small city, however I definitely don't think you'll be bored. Me and another digital content ambassador have made videos about our 3 years at Lancaster, it might give you an idea on what kind of things you can get up to. You can watch those here and here.
In terms of your course, you can use UniBuddy to chat to current students on the course you're interested in. You can ask about the kind of career opportunities they get, as well as the companies that get in touch. That could give you an idea of what you can do with your degree.
Adjustment opens on results day, so either way you have a lot of time to decide. If you're talking about UCAS Extra, then you'll have to reject all your current offers which could be a risk.
I hope this was useful and let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.
Charlotte
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (55)
8.89%
Confident (81)
13.09%
Indifferent (89)
14.38%
Unsure (159)
25.69%
Worried (235)
37.96%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise